In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Auxiliary light switch board placement ideas

Hey all!

I’m looking to add more lights and clean up my current wiring situation, it is neat, but it looks cheesy and is not in a great location. Ideally I would love to put something like this in my truck:

567b5258e36e7d04c84239e5802bc71c.png

Has anyone done anything like this? If so, where have you rigged it up?

Open to any and all ideas.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know how large it is but you could look at creating a plate out of some sort of plastic and putting it in the bin on the center dash if your truck doesn't have the center console (in pink below).

gmbin.png.245488b2b9a4757c096512a291e3acf2.png

Outside that I'd think that your only other option is the console under the armrest. Only other option I can think of would be to use smaller switches and maybe you could get 4 above the 4x4/light selector (left of steering wheel).

Unfortunately I do have a center console. I did some digging, and pulled my console apart last night. I’m going to build a box for the board and put it in the console. I actually use the storage so I can’t put it under the armrest/in the box. I think my best bet is the cup holder area. If I put it in the little cubby area between the cup holder and the outlets on the dash/front of the whole console, I don’t have room for wiring. I believe the sub from the bose system is right underneath that. I don’t use the cup holder that often and have two on the door if I need them. Also gives me the option of hiding my drilling through the bottom of the console if I ever want to take it all out. Cup holder clips back in and my hole is hidden.

I will post updates along the way. Thank you for the insight.

24 minutes ago, redmulti2014 said:

There is a factory available light switch panel from GM, adds 4 AUX switches to the dash. But only for trucks with only traction control & cargo lamp switches.

Capture2.PNG

Do you have a link for these? Thanks.

1 hour ago, Maxsuperdog said:

There’s the part number listed in this thread. It’s kinda involved to make these work at least the way I understand it as I believe these are all negative/ground switches. I lost interest quick so don’t quote me on that.

How about a remote switching option?  This one is also available on Amazon.
  • 41iLfZJ6jiL.jpg
Click to open expanded view  

Blazer C3050K Wireless Management System for 12V Accessories, 1 Pack

This could be cool. Ideally I would like to have a stationary setup, but I will keep this in mind
Thanks

1 hour ago, Maxsuperdog said:

I also looked into that switch panel. I love the idea. GM upfitter offers them as an upgrade. It is basically a WT option but not factory available on any other truck. You need to upgrade the fuse block, because the standard block does not have wiring/fuses for the other switch locations. Then there is the wiring between the switch and the fuse. This project quickly got over my head so I forgot about it.

Edited by aseibel

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

I also looked into that switch panel. I love the idea. GM upfitter offers them as an upgrade. It is basically a WT option but not factory available on any other truck. You need to upgrade the fuse block, because the standard block does not have wiring/fuses for the other switch locations. Then there is the wiring between the switch and the fuse. This project quickly got over my head so I forgot about it.

I've been following the topic on those switches as I'd like to eventually a lightbar, rear lights, and maybe rock lights and underbody for the fun of it. Been having a hard time following it as well since there are multiple conversations going on at once related to it. I need to write down and follow one of the diagrams I guess. Also never done anything external for wiring and want to add a second battery to run the aux stuff off so it's gonna be quite the process it seems.

I would love to have that setup on the toggles, but I don’t want to tear the whole thing apart, and the electrical setup seems crazy. I will definitely building a box for the switch board and housing it in the cup holder location. This will make it look as stock as possible while still being clean wiring wise