mark97213

Proportioning Valve - Can't locate a new one

Hoping to get a little insight on a brake problem.  I'm in need of a brake proportioning valve but, it's turning out to be a tad difficult finding the correct one.  My 69 C10 is stock, no ones has messed with the brakes but for some reason I can't find the correct proportioning valve.  I've purchased two from Classic Industries and both of them turned out to be the wrong one.  They sent 5 port proportioning valves both times but   I only have a 4 port... 2 inlet, 2 outlet factory 4 wheel drum.  Is this such a difficult problem? Seems odd.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Mark, I believe that valve is more like a switch that operates the brake warning light on the dash, if you have failure in either the front or rear braking hydraulic systems. Even though everybody calls it a proportioning valve, I don't believe that valve on your particular truck does much "proportioning ". When you bleed the brakes after a repair or if you have a failure, the brake warning light will come on. The hard part is making it go out. There is a piston inside that valve that has to be centered to make the light go out. That is done by re-bleeding your brakes with the key on and observing if and when the light goes out. Theoretically if the rear caused the light to come on then you bleed the front and watch for the light to go off and shut the bleed screw off immediately. If the light goes off and then comes back on before you shut off the bleed screw then you go to the back and try it again. Sometimes it takes a number of tries to make the light go off. And if none of that works then you are back where you started from and looking for a new valve.

Also if you are looking for a new valve because your warning light is on, be sure to check the parking brake switch as both use the same light.

Back in the day we called that valve a brake block. The master cylinder itself did the proportioning.

Thank you so much for the responses.  That's some valuable insight.  Thank you again.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dale Mitchell
      I changed the brakes and rotors out on my 14 Silverado crew cab about a month ago go to the brakes squeaking non stop, and a visible gouge on the driver side rotor. The pads still had about 60% on them but changed them out anyway, here I am a month later and the same damn squeaking is back, there is no visible sign of anything dragging the rotor but holy hell is it annoying. Anyone had this issue?
    • By wing98
      I have an insight trailer brake controller for sale $100.00 firm with 2014 plug n play wire
      i purchased this and put it in but never used it don't have trailer with brakes and don't like pulling trailer anyway 
      purchased from etrailer
    • By Northsidechev
      I have a 99 Silverado 4x4 and I there have been a couple times when I'm making a tight turn like into a parking spot that it feels like I have no brakes. I brought it into my old guy who fixes things for me  that I can't and he said the brakes seem to function fine and there are no codes showing up so he thinks its probably a sensor not picking things up properly due to a wheel bearing starting to get loose. He was reluctant to just start replacing things not being sure exactly which wheel was the issue (which a I appreciated) and suggested I pull the ABS fuse and put it back in every few months until the issue got to the point where it would trigger a code. I live in Minnesota so the ABS is a nice feature and I hate having warning lights on the dash. This guy is usually really good with these older vehicles, but I would like to see what others think could be wrong or give me ideas on how to diagnose.

Thanks
    • By Kookin
      I have about  6000 ( i travel a lot and despise airplane seats )  miles on my 2019 GMC SEIRRA DENALI 5.3 ( I love chrome lol ) . I've  been experiencing   a very troubling issue been to the dealership once already and had a hard time convincing them that something was wrong with the truck .Every time i drive for long periods of time or idle for 10+ mins when i shift from park to drive  i cannot go faster than 5 mph without the rear brakes locking up. I do not know if this is some kind of limp mode or what  . Contacted GM they work slower than molasses  , idk what  to do 
    • By sangeeth
      Good day to all! Newbie here and looking to fix a rather disturbing problem. 
      Car is a 2013 Silverado; Everytime I hit the brakes a bit too hard there's a high pitched squeal that shoots out of the (I'm guessing) master cylinder area. The truck has 60,000 miles on the clock and only ever been serviced at the dealership. Took it in last week for a service and the said they need to replace the master cylinder and brake booster to fix the squealing noise. 

Just curious if this is a common problem on these trucks? Is there a solution other than outright replacement of the parts? I can work my way around a car so DIY isn't a problem. 

Thankyou for reading!