ABS comes on low speeds, but already has new spindle hubs

02 silverado, rwd 280k miles

I bought the truck last year, and not sure why, but the ABS was really sensitive and I was having issues stopping.  I have replaced alot of parts on it.  

the entire front suspension brakes has been rebuilt with all new parts last year,

I read on several forums that the issue was the spindle hubs - so I replaced them with new Moog units.

problem did not go away.

it seems to be random, and doesnt kick off all the time.

I checked the abs system with a scan tool, there were no codes present.

Any ideas?

16 minutes ago, desim8a said:

My ABS and stability lights just started coming on at slow speeds as well, following for ideas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

yours may be the usual issue (see attachment); mine has new hubs on it and still has the issue...

ALLDATAdiy.com - 2002 Chevy Truck C 1500 Truck 2WD V8-4.8L VIN V - Brakes - Low Speed ABS Activation_No DTC's Set.pdf

Edited by nighttowl

yours may be the usual issue (see attachment); mine has new hubs on it and still has the issue...

ALLDATAdiy.com - 2002 Chevy Truck C 1500 Truck 2WD V8-4.8L VIN V - Brakes - Low Speed ABS Activation_No DTC's Set.pdf
Great info, thanks man I'm going to start with that tomorrow.

Im going to pull the wheels and check sensor output this weekend.  hubs were replaced about 6 months ago but problem never went away.
if i cannot figure it out its going to ahve to go to the dealership.

Does it all the time, at low speeds?

The Escalade just seems to do it when turning slow and hits a bump or a dip. Very specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it all the time, at low speeds?

The Escalade just seems to do it when turning slow and hits a bump or a dip. Very specific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is pretty much the same thing I experience, like making a right at a light after being stopped, and driving over some patched potholes.

Sounds like sensor or sensor wire problem. Ideally, a obd scanner with abs access plugged in while driving will indicate which sensor is at fault.

Otherwise, you will need a meter to test the sensor and wires. You will need access to the sensor pigtail at the wheel and again at the point where the sensor wire enters the abs/ecm/fuse. Set meter to ac voltage, clip into the wire pair and spin the wheel. You should receive voltage fluctuations.

While getting voltage fluctuations, move/shake the wire to see if the fluctuations stop (taking care to ensure the meter leads are still attached). Reconnect the pigtail, and find the other end of the wire at the and/ecm and repeat. This will check the wire above the pigtail.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update from my issue. I was short on time so I only did the cleaning on one side, and it was still giving me problems. Took apart the other side and when I took the abs sensor out it was covered in grease and so was the reluctor wheel. Looks like the cheap hub assembly I used leaked grease from the sealed bearing.

Any update from the op?

issue persists...

I measured the voltage comign from the sensor per the bulletin and they measure fine.

I cleaned out the pins a bit a short while ago to make sure the sensors are getting a good connection but havent driven it yet.

Wait, just the abs light activated or like the abs system kicks on and you get that typical crunching from the system turning on?

my abs light does not turn on when it activates FYi

lord help you if it’s the abs control module.  Good lord that thing is expensive.  I think it’s made of I-phones

Edited by greatmizzou