AIRAID Modular Intake Tube on my 5.3 Silverado

I took that pic the evening I was doing it.  I sent that to a friend before I cleaned the edges up a bit.  I don't have a pic of the "insert" but I didn't hog that out as much.  Like I said, I left the air horn portion alone but cut the checkered area away.  

This is a picture of the stock 5.3l airbox. The opening is very small considering the fender opening is almost twice as big. Where the foam gasket is how big the opening is and the GMP CAI is exactly the size of the foam gasket. You can certainly open this up although I doubt you will gain much as the rest of the system is very restictive including the silencer that goes to the throttle body. Maybe in conjuction with the Airaid tube should give you some performance gain...maybe.

Silverado airbox.jpg

4 minutes ago, olerodder said:

This is a picture of the stock 5.3l airbox. The opening is very small considering the fender opening is almost twice as big. Where the foam gasket is how big the opening is and the GMP CAI is exactly the size of the foam gasket. You can certainly open this up although I doubt you will gain much as the rest of the system is very restictive including the silencer that goes to the throttle body. Maybe in conjuction with the Airaid tube should give you some performance gain...maybe.

Silverado airbox.jpg

I will definetly take it apart and make the holes later this afternoon

I will report on my findings :D

Thank You!

9 hours ago, olerodder said:

This is a picture of the inside of the OE silencer which is very restrictive.

GM Airbox Silencer.jpg

Ok, this is the picture of the finished product, although I must say I didn't see the opening on the fender before I cut the airbox lol

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.8dc3288fea00dc7061cc58569e46ffa6.JPG

6 minutes ago, VdellaV said:

Ok, this is the picture of the finished product, although I must say I didn't see the opening on the fender before I cut the airbox lol

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.8dc3288fea00dc7061cc58569e46ffa6.JPG

Lol.  The next step would be to cut the inner area that runs right in front of the intake opening.  

51 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Vicente, what filter are you going to use?

Im currently using FRAM CA8756s every 5k miles

48 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

Lol.  The next step would be to cut the inner area that runs right in front of the intake opening.  

I dont think it would be necessary, im not running that much HP, maybe 340 to the wheels if im lucky 

On 9/11/2018 at 1:11 PM, Druder said:

There's an oval cutout in the fender and a very obvious oval in the mold on the cover that line up, you just cut out the inside of that oval for more air. There's a thread on here with all the info but it took me less than 20 minutes with a utility blade and a small saw.

Okay, this is an excellent (FREE) mod! Right up there with the accelerator paint stick and foglight/high beam resistor.

The hardest part was removing and replacing the airbox. Other than that, took about 3 mins with a hole saw drill bit and jigsaw. Haven’t had a chance to drive it yet.

Thanks guys!

8470A2D8-889B-4961-A623-09B77E79880E.jpeg

6A661110-13C5-4ACB-B1E2-E30565534662.jpeg

6 minutes ago, DEV1ST8R said:

Okay, this is an excellent (FREE) mod! Right up there with the accelerator paint stick and foglight/high beam resistor.

I had to google what the accelerator paint stick was

Who discovers these ??