My 2017 sounds like an old truck

I recently bought a 2017 Sierra and I currently have about 10k miles on it. When I drive it (more noticeable on the highway) it intermittently has a tick which sounds like an exhaust manifold leak. When I rev the engine in neutral, I don’t hear anything. This noise is killing me because I just bought this truck, planning to keep it for a long time, but when driving it, it sounds like a 15 year old truck. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Benhardy12 said:

I recently bought a 2017 Sierra and I currently have about 10k miles on it. When I drive it (more noticeable on the highway) it intermittently has a tick which sounds like an exhaust manifold leak. When I rev the engine in neutral, I don’t hear anything. This noise is killing me because I just bought this truck, planning to keep it for a long time, but when driving it, it sounds like a 15 year old truck. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks in advance for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should still have a warranty. Do you have any engine codes?

Take it do the dealer and express your concern to them.

Our K2s sounds like sewing machines :smash:

Probably the 'new and different' fuel pump noise you are hearing..  

Higher pressure than previous versions of these motors. 

There were a bunch of threads about this when this generation was introduced.

IIRC,  there is also a tech bulletin explaining it.

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

You should still have a warranty. Do you have any engine codes?

Take it do the dealer and express your concern to them.

Our K2s sounds like sewing machines :smash:

Actually, your correct that large industrialized sewing Machine sound is what the trucks should sound like...put it up against a wall to hear it. 

Join the club. Multiple threads on this. I would believe this is the nature of the beast like others have said but Ive owned and drove multiple of these trucks and not all do it. I’ve gotten a tech to hear and acknowledge it’s not right but when I go back to pick it up they don’t acknowledge it on paper

2016LTCC  I know what your going through.  I had a hard time getting the dealer just to look at mine.  He refused to document it as well.  All but told me they won't do anything with it until it comes in on a tow truck.  My truck has a definite loud singular ticking noise at the left front, sounds like a collapsing lifter.  Truck has 3000 miles on, ticking started around 1000 miles.

What ever happened to an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure?

15 hours ago, Ebr44 said:

2016LTCC  I know what your going through.  I had a hard time getting the dealer just to look at mine.  He refused to document it as well.  All but told me they won't do anything with it until it comes in on a tow truck.  My truck has a definite loud singular ticking noise at the left front, sounds like a collapsing lifter.  Truck has 3000 miles on, ticking started around 1000 miles.

What ever happened to an ounce of prevention equals a pound of cure?

Wow, its hard to believe that the 18s still do it. My has 30k on it now and ticking like hell even after replacing the vaccum pump. I truly beleive this is a design flaw that General Motors has no intention of fixing. This will be the last GM product ill ever own. Never been one to say I wont buy GM because they got bailed out and have poor quality but I think now is a good time to join the old guys run over to my ford dealer. Cheers!

I would say take the time to compare your truck to other 2017's with the same engine. I have had a 2014 5.3 / 2016 6.2 /2017 6.2 and now a 2018 6.2 they all have a certain amount of click or tick or whatever. If yours is much louder than others then take it to the dealer for repair if not then go ahead with installing the GM Borla catback exhaust as it tends to mask a lot of the engine noise. Much prettier noise at least to my ears.....

On 9/13/2018 at 1:04 PM, 2016LTCC said:

Wow, its hard to believe that the 18s still do it. My has 30k on it now and ticking like hell even after replacing the vaccum pump. I truly beleive this is a design flaw that General Motors has no intention of fixing. This will be the last GM product ill ever own. Never been one to say I wont buy GM because they got bailed out and have poor quality but I think now is a good time to join the old guys run over to my ford dealer. Cheers!

Your right GM  has no intention of fixing it.  Got another dealer to look at mine and they agreed its not right.  They did tsb #pip5395p which is fuel line check valve but didnt help.  So he contacted GM for assistance and they sent him tsb #14-06-04-004d which say the noise is normal.  So the dealer cant do anything more because GM won't pay him unless it throws a code or stops. Mine is loud enough i have to turn up the radio not to hear it inside!

I'm with you, unless something changes Im done with GM.  60 grand for a truck i have turn the radio up to cover up the ticking noise.  If your listening GM, NICE!

On 9/13/2018 at 7:57 PM, Dnt said:

I would say take the time to compare your truck to other 2017's with the same engine. I have had a 2014 5.3 / 2016 6.2 /2017 6.2 and now a 2018 6.2 they all have a certain amount of click or tick or whatever. If yours is much louder than others then take it to the dealer for repair if not then go ahead with installing the GM Borla catback exhaust as it tends to mask a lot of the engine noise. Much prettier noise at least to my ears.....

I have and so has the dealer, we both agree it's not right but GM says its normal so they won't pay to go any further.  They use tsb # 14-06-04-004d to get out of it.

I do have the GM Corsa exhaust, but I still have to turn up the radio to cover up the ticking noise.

GM will tell you it's normal, but they don't really care. The regional GM engineer told my service manager "they should have bought a Denali if they didn't want to hear the ticking inside the cab".  So that's how much GM is hunkering down on this issue.

I did read a post somewhere a guy was talking about the high pressure pump not being phased right.  He explained the high back pressure causes the pump actuator to slap the came lobe it's being driven off of causing the ticking noise.  Dont know if I'm explaining this right, but it kind of make sense to me.