Dealership wasn’t a fan of my Fumuto Drain valve

CbrownGT

Installed a fumoto drain valve a few oil changes ago for my own convenience when doing it myself. With my wedding this week and busy schedule I decided to give the dealer some love and have them change oil and rotate my tires.

I told the advisor I have a Fumoto valve and he proceeded to tell me they’re highly unreliable, risky, and I’m crazy.  I’m not going to act surprised that the dealer disliked an aftermarket part, but really..I drive rough terrain for my job and it’s held up marvelously. Use one once and you won’t go back to a normal plug! 

First of all congratulations on your pending wedding.  I guess the dealer voided your powertrain warranty due to your Fumoto valve.  Geez if they caused problems company would already be bankrupt trying to pay for all the ruined engines.

My valve has been very reliable on my Canyon for the last 5 years.  The valve with a hose attachment saves me having to remove a skid plate.  It does drain pretty slow, but I just open it up, then go do something else for a bit. 

Edited by rkj__

Your service adviser might have been grossly misinformed about a great product.  My service dept. installed my EZ Drain 107 when they performed my last free oil change and never said a thing. The adviser seemed familiar with it as soon as he saw it he said "Yep we can put that on and put the factory drian plug in the bag". I have never once had a problem with Fumoto/EZ Drain valves on several motorcycles, cars and trucks. Close to a million miles and never had a problem. 

I installed one on my 2014 the first time I changed the oil.  Had to take the truck in later because the oil pan was leaking, they had to drop the pan and replace the gasket.  They never said a word about it being in there.

I always added a zip-tie to hold the lever in place after changing the oil for a little more piece of mind.

I work for a mass transit authority here in philadelphia. We have well over 1500 busses. We use them for the engine oil, which is between 24 and 28 qts. We also use them in the rear diff, power steering reservoir, and transmissions. Rarely ever do any leak. Especially if they have he caps on.

I have been using fanatasic Fumoto valves for almost 20 years on my vehicles and the last 10 years on my kids cars that I service.  I used to use a small hose clamp on the valve body , now the latest one I bought for my 2016 Silverado comes with a plastic safety clip that seems to work well.

If I was an extreme off road guy I would stick with the hose clamp in case a freak branch might catch the valve in such a way to open it. I find service managers at some dealers to be borderline nut cases.

i bought my wife a new 2015  Mazda 3 and when I told the service manager I was going to do my own oil changes, he went into a horse and donkey show that you would not believe. 

He started chanting " don't do your own oil changes " over and over again. I  change the  oil on our Mazda with a Fumoto valve in place and if I ever need warranty work I will never go back to the dealer with the nut case service manager. GM dealers have never hassled me about changing my own oil, another reason I like dealing with them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rvduck said:

I have been using fanatasic Fumoto valves for almost 20 years on my vehicles and the last 10 years on my kids cars that I service.  I used to use a small hose clamp on the valve body , now the latest one I bought for my 2016 Silverado comes with a plastic safety clip that seems to work well.

If I was an extreme off road guy I would stick with the hose clamp in case a freak branch might catch the valve in such a way to open it. I find service managers at some dealers to be borderline nut cases.

i bought my wife a new 2015  Mazda 3 and when I told the service manager I was going to do my own oil changes, he went into a horse and donkey show that you would not believe. 

He started chanting " don't do your own oil changes " over and over again. I  change the  oil on our Mazda with a Fumoto valve in place and if I ever need warranty work I will never go back to the dealer with the nut case service manager. GM dealers have never hassled me about changing my own oil, another reason I like dealing with them. 

I completely agree and its funny because my experience was the same two brands.  I my gf had a Mazda 3 Hatch that I wanted to do most of the service on and they just started telling be about how the whole thing was going to fall apart if I fixed it.  Short story... it didn't, and now we both drive Chevy.