Push Button Start - Key Fob

GMC-AT

Does the new 2019 have a removable key built into the key fob like some cars? I would like the ability to hide a key under the truck .. I get into some remote areas, never want to be stuck if I lose something.  What is the solution?  I know I could crank the truck from Onstar app (assuming I had cell service) but I wouldn't be able to put the truck into gear without the fob I'm guessing..  

Any thoughts? 

Other than super high end stuff I have never not seen a key built into the fob. This will only unlock the door though (and be aware it will likely be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get a "regular" key cut since GM uses the funky side-cut keys these days). OnStar will only start it, you won't be able to drive it. The solution would probably be to store the entire fob in an RF-blocking case somewhere outside the truck I think. 

The funky side-cut keys are easily cut by any  reputable locksmith who does automotive work. I just lost a set in a local lake. It cost me $35 to replace key. I also had to replace the fob. I bought one on ebay relatively cheap. He programmed that too. I forgot how much, but I'm sure it was cheaper than the dealer.

Other than super high end stuff I have never not seen a key built into the fob. This will only unlock the door though (and be aware it will likely be extremely difficult, if not impossible to get a "regular" key cut since GM uses the funky side-cut keys these days). OnStar will only start it, you won't be able to drive it. The solution would probably be to store the entire fob in an RF-blocking case somewhere outside the truck I think. 
My wife's car has a key built into the fob. It's a Mitsubishi Outlander, not what I would call high end lol If the fob battery dies, there is a spot in the glove box to put the key. I can't believe GM wouldn't have a way to start the truck in case of a dead key fob.7ce64e0f564b6eb065fba35c76f307bf.jpg7f64b5e96db6dbfaf45f29da8647708e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GMC-AT said:

It appears in closer look the new trucks don't even have a place to insert a key except the glove box???

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Some vehicles make you pop of a cover on the door handle. 

1 hour ago, smit303 said:

The funky side-cut keys are easily cut by any  reputable locksmith who does automotive work. I just lost a set in a local lake. It cost me $35 to replace key. I also had to replace the fob. I bought one on ebay relatively cheap. He programmed that too. I forgot how much, but I'm sure it was cheaper than the dealer.

I've been out of it for too long. When I left Hyundai in 2007 they just started using them and they had to come direct from NJ or CA at the time.

22 minutes ago, 2017_whitez71 said:

My wife's car has a key built into the fob. It's a Mitsubishi Outlander, not what I would call high end lol If the fob battery dies, there is a spot in the glove box to put the key. I can't believe GM wouldn't have a way to start the truck in case of a dead key fob.

That wasn't what I meant. The key is common except in some super fancy stuff that the fob seems to be the only option. Every push to start I've seen can be started by direct contact somehow. F150s have a spot in the console you place the fob into if the battery is dead and other brands have you push the start button with the fob if the battery is bad. 

1 hour ago, 2017_whitez71 said:

My wife's car has a key built into the fob. It's a Mitsubishi Outlander, not what I would call high end lol If the fob battery dies, there is a spot in the glove box to put the key. I can't believe GM wouldn't have a way to start the truck in case of a dead key fob.7ce64e0f564b6eb065fba35c76f307bf.jpg7f64b5e96db6dbfaf45f29da8647708e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You lost me at Mitsubishi. Out of all the vehicles you ended up giving the wife a Mitsubishi? Not insulting in anyway but does she not atleast deserve a Subaru or even a heeyundie. Lol

44 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

You lost me at Mitsubishi. Out of all the vehicles you ended up giving the wife a Mitsubishi? Not insulting in anyway but does she not atleast deserve a Subaru or even a heeyundie. Lol

I didn't pick it, she did.  Plus it was made in Normal, IL unlike my truck lol

• Like 1