Push Button Start - Key Fob

GMC-AT

I know on the mazda 3 we have, if the batteries in the fob or it's not working, you put the fob right by the push start button and it'll read it that way and start. The sales guy actually did it when we first went to see the car since the PDI was not done and nothing was programmed.

My guess is it just uses NFC technology so that's why it has to be so close. Probably how most cars work also.

As for starting it without the fob and just the key, i have not looked at the manual but i don't think there's a way to do it

page  40  - https://my.gm.ca/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/GMCC/dynamic/2019/chevrolet/Silverado/en/19_CHEV_Silverado_OM_en_US_U_23400204A_2018MAY17.pdf

This is Canadian version, but you will get the idea. The Key fob "transmitter pocket" for a dead fob battery appears to be between the 2 cup holders. 

• Like 1

ok.. to me it looks like the only way to ensure you always have 100% driving capabilities (in event you lose your key fob in the middle of nowhere) is to hide a spare key fob, somewhere underneath or in your tool box, etc,  but with the battery removed and hidden in a seperate location. If you need it... insert the battery and good to go... 

So the question is... can I get a third key fob programmed by the dealer ?  How much would this cost?

• Like 1

On 9/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, GMC-AT said:

ok.. to me it looks like the only way to ensure you always have 100% driving capabilities (in event you lose your key fob in the middle of nowhere) is to hide a spare key fob, somewhere underneath or in your tool box, etc,  but with the battery removed and hidden in a seperate location. If you need it... insert the battery and good to go... 

So the question is... can I get a third key fob programmed by the dealer ?  How much would this cost?

See page 36 of the Owners Manual on how to program a new Key Fob to your Truck.  You can purchase another Key Fob from parts for ~$200.

• 11 months later...

Aftermarket key fobs are $75 bucks for the 2019s
You can program it yourself.

Locksmith will center cut key for 20 bucks.

Never use the dealership for this stuff. Way too expensive.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You need the fob to start it.  If the fob gets a dead battery, it can be placed in the center of the cupholder on the bucket seat trucks.  You can open the door with the key in the fob and pop the hood open.  

On 9/13/2018 at 11:13 PM, redwngr said:

Somehow, it must be possible to open the hood to a dead battery...

On 9/17/2018 at 2:23 PM, Kevinreitan said:

it would be nice if you could program a fob to more than one vehicle.  Both my wife and i are looking at new vehicles next year and it would be nice if we each only had to carry one fob for both.

More keyfobs can be added to each vehicle and one can program one keyfob for more than one vehicle. I can program one GM keyfob for another GM vehicle or all three with the keyless ignition for that matter, but I don't. One button and I unlock or remote start Silverado, Traverse and Malibu all at once then have to go and manually shut off and lock the other two. All for one and one for all doesn't work if more than one vehicle is in range of the keyfob.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:03 PM, JacobC1983 said:

Yep - don’t know how to start the truck with it though

F4BF8693-579D-4B13-9FEE-DD22AC42533C.jpeg

Yup that what i was thinking. I go to the lake all the time in the summer and 2 years ago our FOB for the 2004 suburban went into the water. Alarm was going but we were able to start the SUV. IDK if the 2019 FOB take a bath. will i be able to get home?

How about a console vault with a combination lock.?  Cheapest price is on

https://www.shopchevyparts.com/cargo-management/2019-silverado-1500-front-center-console-lockable-storage-box-black/84081567-p-92300787.html

Maybe put your fob in there and hide the key under the truck somewhere.

• Like 1

Throw the removable metal key in an old school magnetic hid-a-key box somewhere outside. Take the fob and wrap it in aluminum foil and stash anywhere inside. the foil will block the fob signal. I've done this for years and has worked the 4-5 times ive needed it. Especially for road trips where can extra key is good peace of mind when out of town.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ddanis60 said:

Throw the removable metal key in an old school magnetic hid-a-key box somewhere outside. Take the fob and wrap it in aluminum foil and stash anywhere inside. the foil will block the fob signal. I've done this for years and has worked the 4-5 times ive needed it. Especially for road trips where can extra key is good peace of mind when out of town.

Great solution!!

On 9/17/2018 at 2:23 PM, Kevinreitan said:

it would be nice if you could program a fob to more than one vehicle.  Both my wife and i are looking at new vehicles next year and it would be nice if we each only had to carry one fob for both.

i agree that would be nice, but the security issues that would open up wouldn't be worth it.

On 9/13/2018 at 7:02 PM, 2017_whitez71 said:

My wife's car has a key built into the fob. It's a Mitsubishi Outlander, not what I would call high end lol If the fob battery dies, there is a spot in the glove box to put the key. I can't believe GM wouldn't have a way to start the truck in case of a dead key fob.7ce64e0f564b6eb065fba35c76f307bf.jpg7f64b5e96db6dbfaf45f29da8647708e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My 07 Altima had the same thing. Not a high end car at all