285 or 275??

kylant

looking for suggestions. I am getting new wheels and tires. going from the 22s and 285/44-22 down to an 18" wheel.

debating between 2 sizes: 285/65-18 (32.6x11.5) and 275/70-18 (33.2x11.2). help me choose! going on a leveled 1/2 ton Denali

Thanks

What would you rather have? 1/4" wider or 1/2" taller? (roughly)

Unless you are driving on sand, the extra width doesn't do much. I'm guessing you are going for looks, so pick the 275/70's for a bigger profile.

I had to make this decision when I bought my wheels & tires.  Ultimately decided on 285/70-17 (essentially identical to 285/65-18) simply because it was the best combination of size and light weight wheels.  A year later, between these two sizes, I would opt for the 275/70-18.  To my eye, the extra height looks better and you barely notice the more narrow tread.  For instance, Duratracs in 275/70-18 size look way bigger than my KO2s.  The difference in width is a c-hair to the naked eye. 

Great topic - as I'm about to change out my 285/45/22 as well.  I had focused my thoughts on 285/65/18, but now I'm leaning more towards the 275/70/18.  I've already got a Readylift 2.25" leveling kit installed.  Anyone with a similar setup experience any rubbing with the 275/70/18?

8 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

More Rubber = More Money! 

If it were that simple, for a given diameter and width, a tire for a 17" wheel would be more expensive than a tire for a 22" wheel.  That's not at all the case though.  Also, sometimes changing a size bumps you into a different load index, which can change pricing.  I'm sure there's more factors as well.

I suspect these two sizes are probably within about $15 per tire of each other, but if it's more than that, I'd say it's something to consider. 

Edited by rkj__

17 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

The question was raised about price difference.

OP is debating between a sizes for an 18" wheel not the difference in a 17" and 22" wheel.

Example below:

For two tire sizes that are visually very similar, I'd buy the cheaper ones, to save the $140.  Looks wise, I prefer the taller tire, but we are talking about a less than 2% difference in diameter here. 

Edited by rkj__

I'm currently deciding on this exact change. Have 285 45 22 Nitto Terra Grappler G2's on stock black GM rims. I picked out an 18" rim I like and the Falken Wildpeak AT3's are in the lead currently for the tire of choice. The size I will go with is 275 70 18 because I want a taller stance and a 10 ply tire. Careful though, the size of the tire doesn't mean it'll have the same ply across brands. It depends on the brand and what is being offered in that size, so make sure to check all specs - if you care about ply.

As a previous poster mentioned, it comes down to if you want a wider stance or taller stance. The difference between 285 and 275 width is so negligible though that I would just go with the cheaper option. If a softer ride is important to you then go with a lower ply tire (4 or 6) and taller sidewall (70 over 65).

8 hours ago, kylant said:

looking for suggestions. I am getting new wheels and tires. going from the 22s and 285/44-22 down to an 18" wheel.

debating between 2 sizes: 285/65-18 (32.6x11.5) and 275/70-18 (33.2x11.2). help me choose! going on a leveled 1/2 ton Denali

Thanks

You could also consider a 285/70-18 (34x11.50) where you get the height and the width. I recently switched from 275/70-18 to 285/70-18 and like it a lot with zero rubbing.