285 or 275??

kylant

I went back and forth between the 275/70/18 and 285/65/18. I bit the bullet and went with the 285s. Both sizes were only available in Load Range E so weight and ride quality would be the same between them. From pictures I’ve seen of 275/70s on 9” wheels, the tire looks almost too narrow for the wheel. I like the sidewall to stick out a little to  protect the wheel. 

68656EC2-3B5A-4E5B-A88A-48CA4E069EE3.jpeg

thanks for the replies guys.

I am specifically looking at KO2s and Duratracs

i know it is splitting hairs. taller/wider

275 will have the exact same stance at the fender as I have now due to the fact the wheels I am going with have 1/4" less offset. 285's will be out a 1/4" more. 

275s are cheaper, slightly. duratracs come in a D load range, the other sizes are E.

speedo will read slow with the 275, I suspect the 285 will make it dead on (currently reads about 1mph fast at 60mph)

275s are stocked locally in both tires, 285s are a couple days out

8 hours ago, TRG said:

Great topic - as I'm about to change out my 285/45/22 as well.  I had focused my thoughts on 285/65/18, but now I'm leaning more towards the 275/70/18.  I've already got a Readylift 2.25" leveling kit installed.  Anyone with a similar setup experience any rubbing with the 275/70/18?

i have the same level with their UCAs. My stocks were rubbing the UCA at full lock, both sides. I added/welded the steering stops from the BDS and Zone kits to the LCA steering stops and now have no rubbing with the factory set up. I imagine the 275 would not rub anywhere because it is only 1/2" bigger on each side, but slightly narrower

1 hour ago, kylant said:

i have the same level with their UCAs. My stocks were rubbing the UCA at full lock, both sides. I added/welded the steering stops from the BDS and Zone kits to the LCA steering stops and now have no rubbing with the factory set up. I imagine the 275 would not rub anywhere because it is only 1/2" bigger on each side, but slightly narrower

Yup - I’ve got a UCA rub on both sides as well that I only just noticed last week, as I was looking at something in the well.  Have had the setup since March and never noticed it. 

i am pretty sure I am going to go with the Duratrac in the 285. It seems to be nearly as tall as the BFG in the 275. Every tire shop in my area suggests it over the BFG for our weather. 

The next question is: go with a "D" or "E" load range? These are going on a 1/2 ton that came with stock 22s and 45 profile tires, so the ride with those sucked. the 18" wheel should make a much better ride.

wonder if I will notice any difference between a D or E tire?

I'd choose the 285/65/18 over the 275/70/8.  The differences  in price and appearance are not significant so my decision would be  based on function.  The 285 is within 1/2 inch diameter of your factory tire and will show no noticeable error on your odometer or perceived lag in performance.  Also, I don't give weight to the less rubber less cost statement when shopping for tires.  Often popularity of a size will have a greater impact on sale price.  However,  less rubber in comparable tires will mean less unsprung weight which in this situation translates to a few teaspoons of savings in fuel!

52 minutes ago, kylant said:

i am pretty sure I am going to go with the Duratrac in the 285. It seems to be nearly as tall as the BFG in the 275. Every tire shop in my area suggests it over the BFG for our weather. 

The next question is: go with a "D" or "E" load range? These are going on a 1/2 ton that came with stock 22s and 45 profile tires, so the ride with those sucked. the 18" wheel should make a much better ride.

wonder if I will notice any difference between a D or E tire?

I'd go with the lighter tire.  The D load range is ample for a 1/2 ton.  What type of tires are you replacing?  You may find that the difference in tires may not give the dramatic difference in ride quality you are expecting from switching to a smaller rim.  What type of weather do you experience?  Forum members familiar with your region may have some other tire suggestions. For example,  I experience all types of weather here and Michelin all seasons have got me through the past 19 years.  Four wheel drive has been icing on the cake!

• Like 1

i got the tires yesterday. went with the Duratrac 285/65-18 E. I mounted them on 18x9 +18 offset wheels. The spec at 32.8"x11.2". IMO they look great. just the look I was after. The ride is so much better than the 22s. Feels like there is actually some cushion between the road and truck. Running 40 psi. Put about 150 miles on them yesterday. slightly louder than the factory tires, but still very quite. Had the truck up to 85mph on the highway, rode pretty smooth. 

my only gripe is they slightly rub the Readylift UCA at full lock. the wheel offset is less and I have an bigger steering stop welded on the LCA. I though for sure they would not rub the arm. :( my 285 stocks, after the steering stop addition were a good 1/4" from rubbing at lock

On 9/22/2018 at 8:35 AM, kylant said:

i got the tires yesterday. went with the Duratrac 285/65-18 E. I mounted them on 18x9 +18 offset wheels. The spec at 32.8"x11.2". IMO they look great. just the look I was after. The ride is so much better than the 22s. Feels like there is actually some cushion between the road and truck. Running 40 psi. Put about 150 miles on them yesterday. slightly louder than the factory tires, but still very quite. Had the truck up to 85mph on the highway, rode pretty smooth. 

my only gripe is they slightly rub the Readylift UCA at full lock. the wheel offset is less and I have an bigger steering stop welded on the LCA. I though for sure they would not rub the arm. :( my 285 stocks, after the steering stop addition were a good 1/4" from rubbing at lock

Mind posting some pics? Side, front, and rear angles?

Edited by midwestdenaliguy