5.3L fuel usage?

11 minutes ago, tgg19 said:

I had a transmission flush and mileage jumped back up to around 18 mpg.

Did you just drop the pan and change the filter/add new fluid ?

Im due to do the same on monday, taking advantage that my truck is going to the dealer for the EPS Recall

23 minutes ago, VdellaV said:

Did you just drop the pan and change the filter/add new fluid ?

Im due to do the same on monday, taking advantage that my truck is going to the dealer for the EPS Recall

I had the dealer do it. My next door neighbor is the GMC service manager so I'm pretty sure they actually flushed the system as much as possible.  

37 minutes ago, tgg19 said:

I run 89 in mine only because it tends to knock with 87. My mileage had dropped down to about 15 mpg around town but I had a transmission flush and mileage jumped back up to around 18 mpg. That was around 52-53k miles and I currently have 58-59k.

Opinions are something everyone has I guess but I am with you on the 89. Black Bear Tuning recommends a minimum of 89 on a stock tune in our trucks with the 5.3. From my understanding they recommend this because while doing tuning they have noticed retarding of the timing and engine knock while on their computers. Their explanation of why this is makes sense to me. Our engine has a 11:1 compression ratio. Higher compression engines need a more controlled burn which means a higher grade of fuel. Agree or disagree for the difference I will stick with 89.

20 minutes ago, medic717 said:

Opinions are something everyone has I guess but I am with you on the 89. Black Bear Tuning recommends a minimum of 89 on a stock tune in our trucks with the 5.3. From my understanding they recommend this because while doing tuning they have noticed retarding of the timing and engine knock while on their computers. Their explanation of why this is makes sense to me. Our engine has a 11:1 compression ratio. Higher compression engines need a more controlled burn which means a higher grade of fuel. Agree or disagree for the difference I will stick with 89.

My general philosophy has always been to run the lowest octane possible without spark knock. I have actually noticed a little knock with 89 if I accelerate hard but it is fine for general driving. My wife drives a Honda and it runs great on 87.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

So is anyone here thinking or saying it is a waste of money to run 91/93 octane in the 5.3?

89 is the cheaper option to 91/93 but better running than 87?

I would say it Depends on the use given to the truck and on the place you live

At higher altitudes you may get away with lower octanes, but at sea level you may find knock

21 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

I always ran 87 in my 2014.  Only time I ever had an issue was pulling my #6500 boat through the hills of Kentucky on a 98° day.  Had some pretty nasty spark knock under acceleration.

My experience with 87 is

A. The price is great (cheapest of any other grade except E85).

B. Too much black suit in tailpipe and around rear of muffler. 

21 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

That's what I run in my boat.  Local station here has it.  That's the stuff you want to run in things that sit (boats, mowers, weedeaters, etc.)  The "ethanol" they put in fuel now is a water magnet, absorbing all it can when it's exposed to air.

I learned this the hard way with my previous boat, a pontoon with a 37 gallon fuel tank.  Long story short, even after winterizing the boat the way I should have, I drained 1.5 gallons of water out of the tank the next spring.  Lesson learned, boat gets ethanol free fuel now unless I know we're going to be burning it up quickly.

I have always heard of this with small engines when ethanol started being introduced to the market in fuels.

It can damage small engines.

I am just wondering if the ethanol free fuel can boost MPGs slightly on our trucks.

Of course as we know any ethanol or pure E85 will reduce MPGs

I think I will run a couple of tanks through and see.

9 minutes ago, Darmichar said:

That's what I run in my boat.  Local station here has it.  That's the stuff you want to run in things that sit (boats, mowers, weedeaters, etc.)  The "ethanol" they put in fuel now is a water magnet, absorbing all it can when it's exposed to air.

I learned this the hard way with my previous boat, a pontoon with a 37 gallon fuel tank.  Long story short, even after winterizing the boat the way I should have, I drained 1.5 gallons of water out of the tank the next spring.  Lesson learned, boat gets ethanol free fuel now unless I know we're going to be burning it up quickly.

I work at a Polaris Dealer, and we have these additives to help with any problems down the line regarding bad fuel in our vehicles: It says "Prevents Ethanol Corrosion"

Here is the data sheet: https://cdn1.polaris.com/globalassets/lubricants/msds/12403_polaris-e-10-fuel-treatmentm.pdf?v=4bd72f7f

Part Number is Polaris 2881416 if you were to buy it online or in a dealer near you

Im pretty sure you could run these in a truck or your other small engines no problem:

2881416.jpg?v=3e915280

Edited by VdellaV