MotorTrend Silverado review

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2019/2019-chevrolet-silverado-first-test-review/

Same as GMC, disappointed in the interior.  I still think it's a upgrade over the K2 for sure, just a small upgrade.  

Suprised they said the 5.3 had bad throttle response, I've heard good things about the 19s throttle response, especially in Sport mode.  What do the owners think?  How about gas pedal flex like the k2s?

0-60 in mid 6s, high 14 quarter mile for the 5.3 in "very hot conditions" sounds pretty dang good for the "slow pathetic 5.3".  Sounds like a dead heat for the 19 Ram which people think is pretty fast.  LOLOLOL.  

Can anyone commend on the RST single speed transfer case being awd?  I don't think that's correct.   If you can select 2 or 4wd and the transfer case is locking front and rear that's still a 4wd, not awd. 

Selectable single speed transfer case.  Its not AWD.  2HI, 4HI, "Crawl Mode" and Neutral. 

6.4 to 60 is 0.6 seconds faster than a K2 5.3 NHT A8 at 7.03, so 6.4 0-60 5.3/A8/3.23 vs 5.3/A8/3.42 plus a weight difference for T1.  http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2016/01/texas-truck-showdown-2016-acceleration.html

Also, 14.9 1/4 mile vs. 15.3. 

I had no problems getting that 5.3/A8 T1 I drove to downshift, especially in Sport. 

Edited by newdude

They were right on.  After driving and seeing these ,  their review was about right although I agree, the throttle response on the 5.3L is questionable .  I have heard others say how largely improved the 5.3L and 8spd combo is. 

These new trucks are LIGHT.  They weighed a LOADED Denali at 5595.  The High Country was only 5450 and 

the Trail Boss was only 5235 with the RST only 5178!  These were all 4x4's as well .  GM is right there with the all aluminum F150 in this respect now.  Mileage was very impressive on the highway for the 6.2L trucks in the Real mileage tests as well .

Acceleration numbers were slower than expected because they tested in VERY hot conditions apparently.

The Hemi powered rams are a bit quicker than the 5.3L GM trucks if you option them the same given the data so far.  The Ram FEELS better because of better trans calibration and throttle response as well .  Also, the new eTorq system on the Ram seemed to REALLY improve city mpg , as you would expect.  14.7 mpg for Hemi Ram vs. eTorq Hemi at 18.7.  doesn't do much of highway mileage though.

Regarding weight the GM trucks are  comparable to Ford models or lighter.  2015 F150 Platinum Eco Boost 4x4 weighed 5577 pounds when tested by Car and Driver.  Would be safe to assume that a loaded Sierra Denali with Carbon Pro Bed will be lighter.

1 hour ago, Shriker said:

They were right on.  After driving and seeing these ,  their review was about right although I agree, the throttle response on the 5.3L is questionable .  I have heard others say how largely improved the 5.3L and 8spd combo is. 

These new trucks are LIGHT.  They weighed a LOADED Denali at 5595.  The High Country was only 5450 and 

the Trail Boss was only 5235 with the RST only 5178!  These were all 4x4's as well .  GM is right there with the all aluminum F150 in this respect now.  Mileage was very impressive on the highway for the 6.2L trucks in the Real mileage tests as well .

Acceleration numbers were slower than expected because they tested in VERY hot conditions apparently.

The Hemi powered rams are a bit quicker than the 5.3L GM trucks if you option them the same given the data so far.  The Ram FEELS better because of better trans calibration and throttle response as well .  Also, the new eTorq system on the Ram seemed to REALLY improve city mpg , as you would expect.  14.7 mpg for Hemi Ram vs. eTorq Hemi at 18.7.  doesn't do much of highway mileage though.

Ram had been tested at high 14s and 6.1-6.5 to 60, 3.92 gears.  

If the 5.3 is 6.4 seconds on a extremely hot day with 3.23 gears I'd say they're the same.  Not bad for the "weak" 5.3

I'm not sure where these numbers for weight are coming from but my 17 Silverado cc/sb 6.2 midnight 2LZ has a curb weight of 5503. But that doesn't count my side steps/mud flaps. I thought fords were closer to 4800 pounds. Assuming were talking about cc/sb. If the new denali weighs 5500 pounds, gm shaved weight and then put it back on with something else.

Sometimes weight are listed as dry, sometimes wet.  Fluids will make a huge difference.  

You'd have to weigh your truck on scales to know what it really weighs.  I can gaurentee GM didn't lie about the weight, it's up to 450 on crew cabs.  They said, I believe, that's crew cab vs crew cab, V8 vs v8

I'm not sure where these numbers for weight are coming from but my 17 Silverado cc/sb 6.2 midnight 2LZ has a curb weight of 5503. But that doesn't count my side steps/mud flaps. I thought fords were closer to 4800 pounds. Assuming were talking about cc/sb. If the new denali weighs 5500 pounds, gm shaved weight and then put it back on with something else.

Car mags generally use scales to weigh cars.

You can’t really go by the MFR ratings. SAE guidelines are vague, include standard equipment only, and engine fluids but no specification for fuel other than “nominal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, pronstar said:

Car mags generally use scales to weigh cars.

You can’t really go by the MFR ratings. SAE guidelines are vague, include standard equipment only, and engine fluids but no specification for fuel other than “nominal”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here's motor trends review of the 17 Silverado midnight edition. It has the 5.3/6spd, and not exactly the same options but their saying it weighs 5560. Not far from the 5503 that's on the dealers invoice.

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2017/2017-chevrolet-silverado-1500-z71-4wd-first-test-review/

Edited by M1ck3y

5 hours ago, Shriker said:

These new trucks are LIGHT.  They weighed a LOADED Denali at 5595.  The High Country was only 5450

Add Standard Bed which is i believe is about another 100-200lbs ? and its right around 5700 for both higher end models. One thing the FORD has that really heavy is the double moonroof. 

43 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Add Standard Bed which is i believe is about another 100-200lbs ? and its right around 5700 for both higher end models. One thing the FORD has that really heavy is the double moonroof. 

You mean the Rollover Ejection Seat? :loser: