Experience with Using or Ever Heard of 100% Non-Ethanol Fuel?

Tried a tank 93-0% alky in Pepper about a year ago. Totally removed all knock retard even on 7% grades. What it didn't do was justify the cost spread which locally was about 30% over 87=10% alky. Power wise my butt dyno could tell no difference. My 2cents on the topic. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Tried a tank 93-0% alky in Pepper about a year ago. Totally removed all knock retard even on 7% grades. What it didn't do was justify the cost spread which locally was about 30% over 87=10% alky. Power wise my butt dyno could tell no difference. My 2cents on the topic. 

Great report Grumpy.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

I filled up with 90 octane ethanol-free at a local station, along with two 5-gallon gas cans in case I needed to siphon out some for generator gas due to the hurricane.   Florence ended up going south, but the truck is enjoying the good stuff.   Unfortunately, fuel economy seems the same as 87 E10 and there's no noticeable performance difference.   Truck is 5.3L 6-speed. 

• Like 1

In my area many stations have been adding 90 0ctane ethanol free and removing 93 E-10 from their pumps. Not one has 93 ethanol free though. What would be more beneficial for my 6.2? I assume the 93 E-10?

I run non-ethanol in my ATV, tractor, and all the stuff with small engines around the ol' homestead.  I also run it in my '70 MGB.  The truck is made to run ethanol fuel, so no problems there.  I just wish more stations carried the non-ethanol fuel (at least around me).

I got 90 octane non ethanol the other week fast track (i use 87 E10 usually) and the truck felt slow, sluggish and i even got worse mpg. Not sure why that happened but once i filled up again with 87 E10, it was back to normal. I just use it for lawn equipment mainly.

15 hours ago, CK1000 said:

In my area many stations have been adding 90 0ctane ethanol free and removing 93 E-10 from their pumps. Not one has 93 ethanol free though. What would be more beneficial for my 6.2? I assume the 93 E-10?

Thats what i used and got worse mpg vs my usual 87 E10, weird.

I have a Sierra SLT  1500 6.2 8 speed.   I drive 70-80 mph on highway.

My truck runs fine on any octane rating though I use premium when towing.

Using 93 premium 10% ethanol my high mileage is 21.

Using 87 regular 10% ethanol my highway mileage is 20.

Using 89 midgrade ethanol free my highway mileage is 22.

The 89 ethanol free costs the same as premium, so that is what I usually run since it is more efficient.

The cheapest cost per mile is with regular 10% ethanol.

Ironically, I had a 2014 5.3 6 speed that only got 19 mpg highway using regular!

2 hours ago, OldBlue61 said:

I just wish more stations carried the non-ethanol fuel (at least around me).

And had separate pumps as well. Went to use my weed whacker a couple of springs ago and as soon as I filled it up it started leaking out the fuel line. The line was all dry rotted and brittle I was like WTH only ever ran non etho from a dedicated non etho gas can then it dawned on me. Even though I’m pumping non etho from the pump who knows what the last guy was pumping and how much is left in the lines before it pumps the non etho. So now I run at least a couple gallons into the truck then fill up the can. With my new Stihl whacker I only run VP canned gas even though it’s costing me 6x as much not worth the risk to me. Other thing is can’t be certain that the tanker guy dumps the right fuel in the right hole at the station. When I was still wrenching the same station across town had the fuel guy dump E85 in the wrong hole twice and we got the job of “fixing” the cars that quit running. It was weird some of them wouldn’t make it 5 feet from the pump others would make it miles down the road. IMO that alone made the 100 dollar Flex Fuel option worth it.

My truck pings on regular, even when new.  It runs better and gets better fuel mileage on midgrade.  But I have started using Premium exclusively, because I've been told that it's the only grade that the stations make $ on, so they don't bother with the needed additives in the lesser grades anymore due to the cost.  And the way my truck was running, I believe it.  This being a big agriculture state, all of our gas has at least 10-15% ethanol, and they don't have to tell you what the percent ethanol is anymore.  Bad for engines, good for subsidized farmers.  

I remember the good ol days when everybody was trying to outdo each other with High Test, Ethyl, Super, Fire Chief, Dino Power, etc., and all of the gas was good.  Now they're more interested in selling beer, cigarettes, and lottery tickets.  

Edited by MaverickZ71