OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

Have you seen the Michael J Fox Edition Sierra/Silverado rolling down the road? Looks like the Toyota from Back to the Future. Anyway there is a really cool headlight switch with the option for Off-Road lights. Apparently with a long push of the button the BCM will latch the signal and provide a constant positive signal for triggering a relay. It will also illuminate the icon on the switch as well as send a signal to the cluster illuminating an amber light icon next to the fog light icon or “ORL” in amber.

I successfully installed this in my wife’s ‘16 2500 Denali yesterday but from what I’ve read it’s the same for 1/2 tons, HDs, and Colorado/Canyon.

The BCM already has Programing for this from the factory but I’m not sure when (how early) it was started. I have a ‘15 3500 that I’ll try soon as well as a friend’s ‘17 2500 to do soon. 

If the Programing hasn’t been done in my ‘15 I’ll still be able to get the switch to illuminate as well as latch a signal for positive or negative relay signaling using a latching relay. 

There are several variants of this switch. Some have blue background for ‘17+Up model years and red for ‘16+earlier. Additionally some have the ORL switch without Fogs, and some have no surround backlighting. 

Here is the video from yesterday’s install.....

......More videos to come for other uses like work lights, incorporating into the X50A, rear facing lights, non programmed trucks.....

Pgamboa has been very helpful in discussion about this as well as providing schematic-Thank You!

Edited by TinkeringFox
Extra word
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Awesome! Would you mind if I post my setup? It’s not as clean as yours, as it’s not factory style switch, but I have 6 switches installed in the console. Let me know if you would like to keep this OEM only!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought an all terrain x late 2017 and opted out on the lights option. Thought 999.99 was a bit much for two pods and a switch. Only to find out when I rigged my light bar on the sport bar, the wires for the lights were already in there. Anyway, here’s my current set up. Planning on adding more lights. As of now, I have a 48inch bar on top and two pods on the license plate angled a little outwards for more light on my long treks.aff5d2ae3ae4eb23c369b3e1738fa948.jpg0dc5ed443cf72b5d484eab1f31a5b3c7.jpg957132e2db053536eaafddce30e9c1f9.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 74Sprint17SierraATX said:

I bought an all terrain x late 2017 and opted out on the lights option. Thought 999.99 was a bit much for two pods and a switch. Only to find out when I rigged my light bar on the sport bar, the wires for the lights were already in there. Anyway, here’s my current set up. Planning on adding more lights. As of now, I have a 48inch bar on top and two pods on the license plate angled a little outwards for more light on my long treks.aff5d2ae3ae4eb23c369b3e1738fa948.jpg0dc5ed443cf72b5d484eab1f31a5b3c7.jpg957132e2db053536eaafddce30e9c1f9.jpg

Nice! I like those carling switches, have a bunch in my Cherokee. Looks good!

X2. I’d like a harness. Would this work on a 1500 Lt? I’m wondering if this would only work on HD trucks. 

This switch was originally put in 1500s and the canyon/Colorado’s. The HD ATX came out later. Should have zero issues putting in yours