OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

Is this 14 and 15 specific? I’m working on a project for a light bar on my 2018. Will the ORL switch work with your harness Phil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the installation documentation of the ORL lights, it suggests that BCMs on 14-15 may not be programmed to output the latched signal and on 16+ it is. There is another member here with a 2018 who reported it didn’t work.

For those that bought the switch, my harness, and tried with no luck... be patient as we might have an alternate solution using this relay.

I’ll even work out a deal to discount this “kit” (once ready) for those that bought my harness and had no luck with it. This is new territory for all of us and have no way to test without the help of all of you to report your findings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, pgamboa said:

In the installation documentation of the ORL lights, it suggests that BCMs on 14-15 may not be programmed to output the latched signal and on 16+ it is. There is another member here with a 2018 who reported it didn’t work.

For those that bought the switch, my harness, and tried with no luck... be patient as we might have an alternate solution using this relay.

I’ll even work out a deal to discount this “kit” (once ready) for those that bought my harness and had no luck with it. This is new territory for all of us and have no way to test without the help of all of you to report your findings.

So Phil and TinkeringFox:

Will you be supplying a complete kit (switch, harness, relay)?  Or will you also offer a harness and relay for those of us that already have a switch but didn't buy your harness yet?

This is great -- thanks for the work!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sk said:

So Phil and TinkeringFox:

Will you be supplying a complete kit (switch, harness, relay)?  Or will you also offer a harness and relay for those of us that already have a switch but didn't buy your harness yet?

This is great -- thanks for the work!

The switch should be sourced on your own, based on the color scheme you want.  We want this kit to be as Plug and Play as possible and/or be simple to hook up.

I will most likely be building the kits while Tinkering Fox will have the how to video for hooking it up.

Thanks,

Edited by pgamboa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pgamboa said:

The switch should be sourced on your own, based on the color scheme you want.  We want this kit to be as Plug and Play as possible and/or be simple to hook up.

I will most likely be building the kits while Tinkering Fox will have the how to video for hooking it up.

Thanks,

DIBS!!!!!

I installed the switch and harness from pgamboa in my 17 1500. At 1st the switch's amber light wouldn't light up and the dash light wouldn't illuminate either. Double checked all my wiring and the grey wire that connects to the white bcm plug wasn't fully seated. Heard the "click" when I reinstalled the wire. Now everything works as it should. Haven't wired up a light bar yet, but the switch and the light on the dash both light up. So guys that are having intermittent issues with your switch double check your wiring. Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I installed the switch and harness from pgamboa in my 17 1500. At 1st the switch's amber light wouldn't light up and the dash light wouldn't illuminate either. Double checked all my wiring and the grey wire that connects to the white bcm plug wasn't fully seated. Heard the "click" when I reinstalled the wire. Now everything works as it should. Haven't wired up a light bar yet, but the switch and the light on the dash both light up. So guys that are having intermittent issues with your switch double check your wiring. Just a heads up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good tip! Also check the face of the plug to verify is seated all the way forward.

• Like 1

Ok, so yesterday i got and wired in the relay that Seapacer2 posted about except Igot the 2 channel relay. It didnt work as of last night. Today i came out and traced down the problem to the gray wire down to where the BCM is.  I used that gray wire to hook into the relay. Somewhere in that wire, there is a break. I ran a new gray wire up to the switch. BAM!!! Works perfectly. To turn it on, its a simple press of the ORL button. To turn it off, again, just a simple push of the ORL button. There is no long press needed. The icon on the dash does NOT light up, but the ORL button on the headlight switch DOES light up.

THANK YOU TO SEAPACER2 FOR HELPING ME OUT!!!

Edited by RACERX7775
  • Like 1

Also, depending on how you give the relay power depends on when it will come on. For test purposes, i hooked it up to one of the 10a spare fuses in the l/s inside the door. Its constant power. So the ORL works anytime. No lights have to be on. 

• 2 weeks later...

If I did have the switch with ORL and i switched #6 & #10, would the fog lights come on when i push the ORL button and the aux light when i push the fog light button?  I am trying to be able to turn off a LED light bar quicker than holding the ORL button for an extended time.  Not as worried about turning fog lights off quickly.