OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

Hmmm. Not sure on that one.  Does your truck work the orl switch from the factory?  If not, go the route seapacer2 showed. I did and its an instant on and off. This thing is way smaller than you think. 

20181019_181459.jpg

Edited by RACERX7775
  • Like 1

I got the harness from Phil and everything works as it is supposed too. I’ll take a look at what seaspacer2 has put together. 

Basicaly when I am driving with my LED light bar on “ahem” off-road and another truck is also driving “ahem” off-road I want to be able to turn the light off instantly. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 1:00 AM, RACERX7775 said:

So here is just a final confirmation for those with 14+ trucks that this little relay assembly works perfectly.

20181025_173421.jpg

can you dumb this down for me hahaha... Links for everything needed and how you wired it?  Ive had the switch on my desk for a month waiting to install it.  

Ok, so yesterday i got and wired in the relay that Seapacer2 posted about except Igot the 2 channel relay. It didnt work as of last night. Today i came out and traced down the problem to the gray wire down to where the BCM is.  I used that gray wire to hook into the relay. Somewhere in that wire, there is a break. I ran a new gray wire up to the switch. BAM!!! Works perfectly. To turn it on, its a simple press of the ORL button. To turn it off, again, just a simple push of the ORL button. There is no long press needed. The icon on the dash does NOT light up, but the ORL button on the headlight switch DOES light up.

THANK YOU TO SEAPACER2 FOR HELPING ME OUT!!!

So if I were to just plug this in would it still work without that 2channel relay? I don’t care if I would have to hold the button down to turn on/off

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, chrispassas21 said:

So if I were to just plug this in would it still work without that 2channel relay? I don’t care if I would have to hold the button down to turn on/off

4.5” CST suspension lift

I dont think it would. Our 14 15 trucks dont have the BCM  ability to do it. So far, the relay is the only way to do it with the factory headlight switch.

3 hours ago, 14tungstenLT said:

can you dumb this down for me hahaha... Links for everything needed and how you wired it?  Ive had the switch on my desk for a month waiting to install it.  

It might be tomorrow until i get it. But ill work something up for ya.

I dont think it would. Our 14 15 trucks dont have the BCM  ability to do it. So far, the relay is the only way to do it with the factory headlight switch.

Where are you mounting that relay at?

4.5” CST suspension lift

So here is a basic wiring guide to which Seapacer2 spent his time to figure it out. I dont know why it rotates the pics. Remember, you still need to put the gray and yellow wire that connects to pins 6 and 10 on the headlight switch. I just cut the wires from the harness that I got from Phil.  I'll try and link the 2 channel relay that I got from amazon. If not, Seapacer2 put the link for the 4 channel version. You can use either. You just wont use anything for channels 3 and 4.  As far as mounting it, I took the panel off under the steering wheel and just taped it up and wire tied it around the crossbar. 

15426658620315025451337667001846.jpg

Edited by RACERX7775
  • Like 1

So just to sum it all up and make sure I read the 13 pages of posts correctly, 14-15.5 trucks may have an issue with the BCM programming, 2016-2018 trucks should have no issue with the BCM and part number 23317218 is a blue switch being sold cheaply because it has a slightly different image for the ORL light button? If thats the case, for $25 it sounds like a slam dunk way to wire my light bar up

1 minute ago, StayInYourLayne said:

So just to sum it all up and make sure I read the 13 pages of posts correctly, 14-15.5 trucks may have an issue with the BCM programming, 2016-2018 trucks should have no issue with the BCM and part number 23317218 is a blue switch being sold cheaply because it has a slightly different image for the ORL light button? If thats the case, for $25 it sounds like a slam dunk way to wire my light bar up

Yup... lol.2016+ should......

On 11/19/2018 at 5:32 PM, RACERX7775 said:

So here is a basic wiring guide to which Seapacer2 spent his time to figure it out. I dont know why it rotates the pics. Remember, you still need to put the gray and yellow wire that connects to pins 6 and 10 on the headlight switch. I just cut the wires from the harness that I got from Phil.  I'll try and link the 2 channel relay that I got from amazon. If not, Seapacer2 put the link for the 4 channel version. You can use either. You just wont use anything for channels 3 and 4.  As far as mounting it, I took the panel off under the steering wheel and just taped it up and wire tied it around the crossbar. 

15426658620315025451337667001846.jpg

great thanks! so i need switch, phils harness, and the relay from amazon and im good to go? 

2 hours ago, 14tungstenLT said:

great thanks! so i need switch, phils harness, and the relay from amazon and im good to go? 

You will need a relay harness for the light.

You will need a headlight switch.

You need atleast the 2ch latching relay.

You dont really need the harness from Phil.

What you need is the pins with a pigtail to be able     to hook into the headlight switch from the relay.

Got the ORL light hooked up (with Phil's harness) and LED mounted behind the grille.  I do have the active shutters so it took some modifications to the grille for everything to fit.  Next up is adding the latching relay.  I would like the light bar to turn off immediately instead of holding down the button.

IMG_1537.jpg

Edited by Ryan2017Z71

18 minutes ago, Ryan2017Z71 said:

Next up is adding the latching relay.  I would like the light bar to turn off immediately instead of holding down the button.

Thats the only way to do it as of right now that i can think of. Besides for using a generic on/off switch.