OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

After all that, you are gonna give up now? Lol. What "route" are you gonna take? If its the wiring of the relay, it looks intimidating, but truthfully, its easy. And once its done, you are gonna be like, wow, that was easy.

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/09/2018 at 2:52 PM, TinkeringFox said:

Have you seen the Michael J Fox Edition Sierra/Silverado rolling down the road? Looks like the Toyota from Back to the Future. Anyway there is a really cool headlight switch with the option for Off-Road lights. Apparently with a long push of the button the BCM will latch the signal and provide a constant positive signal for triggering a relay. It will also illuminate the icon on the switch as well as send a signal to the cluster illuminating an amber light icon next to the fog light icon or “ORL” in amber.

I successfully installed this in my wife’s ‘16 2500 Denali yesterday but from what I’ve read it’s the same for 1/2 tons, HDs, and Colorado/Canyon.

The BCM already has Programing for this from the factory but I’m not sure when (how early) it was started. I have a ‘15 3500 that I’ll try soon as well as a friend’s ‘17 2500 to do soon. 

If the Programing hasn’t been done in my ‘15 I’ll still be able to get the switch to illuminate as well as latch a signal for positive or negative relay signaling using a latching relay. 

There are several variants of this switch. Some have blue background for ‘17+Up model years and red for ‘16+earlier. Additionally some have the ORL switch without Fogs, and some have no surround backlighting. 

Here is the video from yesterday’s install.....

......More videos to come for other uses like work lights, incorporating into the X50A, rear facing lights, non programmed trucks.....

Pgamboa has been very helpful in discussion about this as well as providing schematic-Thank You!

1 hour ago, Bernard Sarazin said:

I wish to do this to my 2500 hd

but would like to run it through  x50a 

does any one have the full wiring drawing for this circuit 

The OEM drawings are for use with a relay provided with a harness that circumvents the X50A. The problem is that the X50A upfitter relays use a negative signal or “trigger” to energize. There is a way around this though. Is your truck a gasser or diesel?

26 minutes ago, TinkeringFox said:

The OEM drawings are for use with a relay provided with a harness that circumvents the X50A. The problem is that the X50A upfitter relays use a negative signal or “trigger” to energize. There is a way around this though. Is your truck a gasser or diesel?

46 minutes ago, Bernard Sarazin said:

diesel and I have added the four upfitter auxiliary switches.

I would like to make it as close to own as possible 

The reason I’m asking is that there is an unused  “fuel pump 2” relay in some vehicles. I believe this  relay uses a positive signal to energize. Check your fuse box for it. My wife’s ‘16 Duramax doesn’t have the relay or the pins to support it but my ‘17 Duramax does as well as my ‘15 6.0. 

A137C648-4855-4006-B37E-51A64D0DC789.jpeg

04C93AF2-B9F0-4F17-B27E-7C7FEBAAA0B0.jpeg

2 hours ago, TinkeringFox said:

could you not go through the bcm to the relay panel 

2 minutes ago, Bernard Sarazin said:

could you not go through the bcm to the relay panel 

The power or signal wire already is coming from the BCM. Since it’s positive it won’t be able to trigger the X50A upfitter relays. You could feed it through the X61A junction block and then out to the X50A to keep the harness clean but it will still be a positive signal.

I’ve just installed the switch and wiring into my 2018 1500LT. Light bar come tomorrow and looking to have everything fully installed Friday so I’ll post photos. Working on a solution for the active front shutters as they make the behind the grill install a little more challenging.

390B3400-0149-4C72-8E60-13A6972EFBAA.jpeg

7A10A0FA-33FC-4369-8B60-8CBA91B459FE.jpeg

Edited by jaxsilverfox
Addition of photo
  • Like 3

On 12/19/2018 at 4:03 PM, jaxsilverfox said:

I’ve just installed the switch and wiring into my 2018 1500LT. Light bar come tomorrow and looking to have everything fully installed Friday so I’ll post photos. Working on a solution for the active front shutters as they make the behind the grill install a little more challenging.

390B3400-0149-4C72-8E60-13A6972EFBAA.jpeg

7A10A0FA-33FC-4369-8B60-8CBA91B459FE.jpeg

Please do.  I haven't gotten a light bar yeat because of the active shutters.