OEM Off-Road Light Switch Install

On 9/15/2018 at 1:52 PM, TinkeringFox said:

Have you seen the Michael J Fox Edition Sierra/Silverado rolling down the road? Looks like the Toyota from Back to the Future. Anyway there is a really cool headlight switch with the option for Off-Road lights. Apparently with a long push of the button the BCM will latch the signal and provide a constant positive signal for triggering a relay. It will also illuminate the icon on the switch as well as send a signal to the cluster illuminating an amber light icon next to the fog light icon or “ORL” in amber.

I successfully installed this in my wife’s ‘16 2500 Denali yesterday but from what I’ve read it’s the same for 1/2 tons, HDs, and Colorado/Canyon.

The BCM already has Programing for this from the factory but I’m not sure when (how early) it was started. I have a ‘15 3500 that I’ll try soon as well as a friend’s ‘17 2500 to do soon. 

If the Programing hasn’t been done in my ‘15 I’ll still be able to get the switch to illuminate as well as latch a signal for positive or negative relay signaling using a latching relay. 

There are several variants of this switch. Some have blue background for ‘17+Up model years and red for ‘16+earlier. Additionally some have the ORL switch without Fogs, and some have no surround backlighting. 

Here is the video from yesterday’s install.....

......More videos to come for other uses like work lights, incorporating into the X50A, rear facing lights, non programmed trucks.....

Pgamboa has been very helpful in discussion about this as well as providing schematic-Thank You!

What crimper do you use? I wouldn't mind picking myself up one for future projects. Surely you don't need the ~$100 Delphi pair and someone makes a generic one?

2 hours ago, Cburge95 said:

What crimper do you use? I wouldn't mind picking myself up one for future projects. Surely you don't need the ~$100 Delphi pair and someone makes a generic one?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263433690070

these work.  Waytek has some nice ones too.

2 hours ago, chris84 said:

Would it be possible to have this wired so turning off the high beams would kill power to these lights also?

Your high beams don't have to be on for this to work, so I'm not sure how turning on and off your high beams has anything to do with it.

11 minutes ago, pewterliftedz said:

Your high beams don't have to be on for this to work, so I'm not sure how turning on and off your high beams has anything to do with it.

I know this is separate from the high beams, but if it were also tied to the high beams it would be faster/easier to turn off whatever extra lights are being controlled by this button.

5 hours ago, Tleesmith14 said:

@TinkeringFox what kinda mini torch in the Video is that I need to pick one of this up 

A Blue Point one and Weller one, same MFG, different label.....

Weller P2KC Professional Self-igniting Cordless Butane Soldering Iron Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WOHSHM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_8fMOBbRNQ4BJH

Not exactly, but there is a way to do so by turning the headlights to manually “on”, grabbing that signal and the one from the high beams and using a relay. It’s a little drawn out but basically you can take those night drives through deer/elk/moose country with less fear of testing your airbags. You’ll be able to power up your light bar using the high beam switch and turn it off as fast as dimming your brights. Under normal driving conditions just leave your headlight switch in the “auto” position and the light bar will stay off when you “flash to pass” or just hit your high beams. 

While sometimes it’s nice to see an X-ray of the oncoming driver’s skull on their back window you could get a nice ticket or worse so having the option to not run the lights or quickly dim them is key. The light I installed is amber and will be used in heavy fog and snow or dirt road driving.

2 hours ago, CajunFries said:

Okay. I think I got everything I need. 4478f752263acba801afab2aa97c2459.png93c685bd8c224528dd74c5a7d82767d3.jpg

And some Delphi 150 connectors.

Woot woot! emoji482.pngemoji482.png??????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a link to this install process?  Apparently my searching skills are lacking today.

Do you have a link to this install process?  Apparently my searching skills are lacking today.

For the rigid lights? No. I’m just going to make some custom bracket with a sheet of metal. Bend it to spec and that’s about it. Use the factory fog light holes. Use the factory fog light wires for the DOT fog. The “off-road” lights will be using the ODL button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1