2019's have the same crappy frame wax?

cbrsilv15

1 minute ago, cbrsilv15 said:

I haven't been up close and personal with one yet, but has anyone checked out the frames? Wondering if they stuck with the same crappy NoxRust?

Same "crappy" frame wax.

Start watching at the 2 minute mark.

Watch this:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Just stating an answer to OP's question.

I believe Newdude has said Colorado and Silverado frames are not treated the same.

He owns a Colorado.

Correct.  My Colorado does not have the wax coating.  Painted or coated with something paint-like.  Not sure what.  You can run your finger on the rails, comes off clean each time.  2015-2019 too.   

T1 trucks are wax, but it seems to be applied better on the 4 trucks I've checked out. 

Edited by newdude

I mean, I'm not a fan of the "wax" coating either. Mine looked like crap so I had my dealer reapply mine right before my 36 month warranty ran out. But if there's a better permanent solution, I'm not aware. Every vehicle's bottom side turns back to rust eventually.

I wish they would put a powder coated frame option. That would stand up to a decade of abuse easy, unlike any paint or an electrolysis coating. I would even pay $500 or so for such an option. The thing about a thin wall box frame is that you can't get in there to do maintenance. Once the NOX is compromised it will only take a few years to rot to the point of structural issues. The old C channel frames you could wire wheel and paint over a weekend every few years, there is no doing that with these. A 3/8" C channel will last 10x as long as these box frames when exposed to elements. They use calcium chloride on the roads here and I have seen 3/8" plate gussets rot to the point you can put a air hammer through them, what is going to happen to an exposed 0.964mm frame going to do lol? You wont be restoring these trucks in 25 years unless you drop the body on a new chassis because there wont be anything left of the stock one. 

Mind you nothing on today's vehicles is made to last beyond 10 years anymore. It's a marketing technique for a society that replaces everything now rather than repairing it. 

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I wish they would put a powder coated frame option. That would stand up to a decade of abuse easy, unlike any paint or an electrolysis coating. I would even pay $500 or so for such an option. The thing about a thin wall box frame is that you can't get in there to do maintenance. Once the NOX is compromised it will only take a few years to rot to the point of structural issues. The old C channel frames you could wire wheel and paint over a weekend every few years, there is no doing that with these. A 3/8" C channel will last 10x as long as these box frames when exposed to elements. They use calcium chloride on the roads here and I have seen 3/8" plate gussets rot to the point you can put a air hammer through them, what is going to happen to an exposed 0.964mm frame going to do lol? You wont be restoring these trucks in 25 years unless you drop the body on a new chassis because there wont be anything left of the stock one. 

Mind you nothing on today's vehicles is made to last beyond 10 years anymore. It's a marketing technique for a society that replaces everything now rather than repairing it. 

I disagree on most everything here.  The difference is after 25 years, they wouldn't have to be restored yet.  To say there will be structural issues after a few years is just incorrect. 

The new stuff lasts SOOOOO much longer than it used to.  

3 hours ago, shift_grind said:

I disagree on most everything here.  The difference is after 25 years, they wouldn't have to be restored yet.  To say there will be structural issues after a few years is just incorrect. 

The new stuff lasts SOOOOO much longer than it used to.  

Isaac Cody's homestead in eastern Iowa was built in 1847. The Walnut flooring and trim was laid once and 171 years latter it is still more than serviceable. Homes on the east coast built circa 1670 in Europe and assembled here are not just standing. Some are still lived in. Nearly 350 years latter. My fathers home has the original redwood siding on it from 1957 and looks great! A house built today???? They can't keep siding on one more than a couple of years. It's buckled in a few months and floors are changed like socks. Roofing is a joke. 

My first JVC DVD player lasted 25 years. Nothing since has made it more than 5 years. My Craftsman hedge trimmer lasted 40 years. I buy a new one these days every other season. Our Cub 70 lawn tractor is still cutting grass. The new one knocks the steering gear out of it ever other season. Mom's Norge washer and drier lased 45 years. 5 tops is planned now by everyone but Speed Queen Commercial. It gets eight. My WALL beard trimmer is 45 years old and still works. The new cost tens times as much and lasted three months. Just out of warranty. 60 year old McCulloch chain saw. When the bar died the motor got used on the grandsons go-kart. New Stihl is dead in two years. 

What planet do you live on?  You're  going to have to wait until guys my age are in the ground 30 years before you can make that statement stick. :rolleyes:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2