In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Lorenzo L

Stuck Brake Calipher ?

On my way home from work yesterday my truck started to vibrate on the highway from what seemed like my right front wheel. Then upon slowing down my steering wheel turned full on to the right by itself. There was also the smell of burnt rubber. I think it's the Brake Calipher. Any suggestions before this broke college kid shells out money for a diagnosis? 

Get a jack, jack up the wheel and spin it. Does it spin free? Also smells like rubber wouldn’t be brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While it's acting up ( feels like the brake is dragging), pull over and touch the brake rotor - did it burn your hand = stuck caliper.  Drive it a little more - is white smoke coming up from the brake = stuck caliper.  The smell of burnt rubber could be from the brake lines and the high heat from the hot rotor.

Yeah the tire spins freely pretty easy 

Yeah it burned the mess out of me it was burning hot but not smoking 

1 hour ago, Lorenzo L said:

Yeah it burned the mess out of me it was burning hot but not smoking 

You need a brake caliper rebuild kit,  Most likely you will find rusted bolts and piston which are preventing the brake pads from retracting upon release.  Suggest you rebuild both because it won't be long before the other one starts to have the same problem.

If it’s the slides then yes take it all apart and clean it. As far as rebuilding the caliper, just replace it. Also, do them in pairs, don’t just do 1 caliper. If it’s the front, do both fronts. Probably not bad idea to flush the fluid either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By BigBlueBlazer
      Hey y’all, new to the forum and to chevys here (used to drive an 84 Jeep CJ) and bought my K5 a few days ago

off the bat it came with a few problems the guy who sold it told us about, he said that the brake light bulbs would pop while driving, but we took it home (had someone drive behind us) and confirmed that we don’t have brake lights (the bulbs are not blown) or turn signals (front or back) and when we got home I confirmed that the backup lights and hazards (all four corners) do not come on either. And this didn’t happen when we first got it, but the morning after I found the interior light on and had to take the bulb out (wouldn’t turn off) in the fear of running out the battery

however, the taillights and the dailys (I’ve heard those little yellow lights on the sides called that before but I don’t know if that’s the proper term) do come on when the headlights are turned on. 

ive checked the fuses for the brakelights and turn signals and nothing seems to be wrong with them, so I’m assuming there must be something wrong in the steering column, but I’m at a loss of how to go about fixing the problem, and I’d love to get some advice before i go about taking the thing apart or having a shop look at it.

anything is greatly appreciated, thanks!
    • By RickDangle
      Looking for input and pictures.  considering 4" BDS  lift for my 2015 Silverado 4WD.  trying to confirm fitment, track width impact and need or no need for front spacers.  Conflicting info as far as i can tell.
      4" BDS widens track width 1.5" on each side some say stock 20X9 +27 wheels can fit 33X12.50 no problem others say you need a 1/2" spacer in front or rub on UCA.
      Does it fit, an direct experience or pics showing how much wheels with this offset poke out from fender?
    • By Dillon King
      Hello anyone/everyone,

As mentioned in the title, i would like to perform a front seat swap in my 2007 Chevy Tahoe with some seats out of a 2015 Yukon.  What I’m really looking for if there happens to be a bracket out there that already exists so I can be lazy and not have to build one. Thanks In advance 
    • By boneill
      Are you Looking to change your headlights and grille on your custom Silverado to the LED HID / signature curtain daytime running lights that High Country’s come with and the bow tie grille ?

Here’s how I did this to my Custom Trailboss ... how to video.  Videos nothing special but it’ll give you the pics with notes /video clips that  I took so you can convert yours over if your wanting to .  Back when I did this conversion I couldn’t find anything online that really shows how you do this so hopefully this helps the next person do this .  Takes about 3-4 hours 

cost is about $3k for all new oem parts .  I got my headlights , wire harness through Gen5DIY.com  $2400 and the bow tie grille $580 through gm parts warehouse.   Both are great companies I’d fully recommend that made the process really easy .

I’ll list the part numbers too if you wanna research and look for some lower prices if wanna go with used parts or shop around if you wanna that route but don’t forget you’ll still need the headlight harness which is about $250 from Gen5DIY to make all the lights work properly .  After you sell your used Custom headlights and grille parts from the conversion you can get back about 1k dropping the cost involved about 2k with new parts.

May ask why not just buy the LT trail boss ., well here’s why I did not .. when I researched this is what I found ., 

My Red Custom trail boss came with the halogen lights and the LT Trailboss has the better looking lights that are LED  (not too bright though but have a good look to them still) but they are not HID LED which are way brighter unless you buy the midnight black edition trail boss or the high country which #1 I wanted the red trail boss not black , # 2 I wanted HID LED lights not just the LED lights , so I made my own custom set up for a small cost compared to getting a midnight edition Trailboss or high country 

part numbers 
      LT Black Trailboss Grill with Z71 emblem
      84493318   New 2019-2021 Silverado 1500 High Country HID LED head light assembly  Drivers side LH.      : 84621852 Passenger side RH  : 84621853  
    • By boneill
      Used “like new” condition off my 19’ Custom Trailboss .  Truck literally has 8,000 miles on it still so these parts look like the day they did it came off the dealer lot.     Asking $450 obo +shipping which I believe is about $65 to most places In the US.                                   I changed my headlights and grille out recently after doing a headlight conversion so I have my grille and headlights that came from the factory for sale now .