New 2022 Ram Dakota - Rumor or Real?

Gorehamj

2010 dakota.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
9-18-2018

A new story by Left Lane News titled, "FCA Confirms New Midsize Ram Pickup" seems to have facts to support its claim. The publication says that " A presentation slide from FCA's Capital Markets Day shows the new model on the roadmap for 2022, slotting below the Ram 1500." A new Ram Dakota is long overdue. The name sounds weird to our ears. "Dodge Dakota" has a nice ring.  Both Dodge and Ford have missed out on hundreds of thousands of truck sales by missing the market's resurgence. Toyota is selling over 20K Tacomas per month now and GM could be as well if it had the capacity. Left Lane News says the new Ram Dakota would be built alongside the new Jeep pickup.  

GM-Trucks.com reached out to our FCA contact to ask if the news can be confirmed. The answer was "NOT CONFIRMED." Hmm.  Check back in a week or so and we will see how this develops.  

DODGE Dakota.  Not RAM Dakota.  Just because they think they spun off their truck brand using "RAM" doesn't mean we have to call it that.  Call it what we have known it to be all along. Dodge Ram = 1500, 2500, 3500.   Dodge Dakota = smaller truck.  Dodge Sprinter- = larger van   Dodge Van= smaller van. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Colossus said:

DODGE Dakota.  Not RAM Dakota.  Just because they think they spun off their truck brand using "RAM" doesn't mean we have to call it that.  Call it what we have known it to be all along. Dodge Ram = 1500, 2500, 3500.   Dodge Dakota = smaller truck.  Dodge Sprinter- = larger van   Dodge Van= smaller van. 

They always will be Dodge to me and that is why I stay as far away as possible!

I am a Chrysler guy to the bone but after my last new Ram I couldn't make myself spend money on another truck that was basically identical to mine save a new transmission and some features/design. So here I am with the Silverado 1500. I have my gripes with it from the ticking engine to the shaky highway operation but overall I haven't had any major issues up to 60,000 miles.

I honestly would rather have a midsize truck as long as the bed length is decent. Problem with mid sizes are they cost nearly the same as a full size and get fuel economy that is nearly the same. As long as the midsize can swing a 1500LB or so Payload and tow 5000-7000 LBS I am in. Issue is, the Colorado looks like a car and the Tacoma, well I am not sure what that looks like but it's awful. Tacoma payload is also awful. 

Here is what I think will happen, they are going to put it on the new Jeep scrambler frame and fit it with independent front suspension instead of the straight axle like the Jeep. If they don't screw the design up it will be a great looking vehicle. Hopefully they will incorporate some sort of extremely fuel efficient drive train that has good get up and will still tow decent weight. Now, if they option it with a hemi and go the only V8 in its class route like before that thing will sell like hotcakes across the board. If I had to guess, they are going for best in class towing and payload judging by the spy shots of the rear suspension and frame from the Scrambler. It looks basically identical to the 1500 Ram and has what appears to be the same size axle out back. Hopefully the manual transmission from the Jeep gets carried over to the truck.

We will see what they come up with, also time will tell about the reliability. I really hope it comes to light.

The Colorado ( updated S10 ) has been around for a long time.

So had the Ford Ranger and Dodge Dakota.

Ford ceased Ranger production for a while and so did Dodge with the Dakota.

The Dakota resurgence is most likely due to the re-introduction of the new Ranger set to come out soon.

Both to compete with the Colorado and Tacoma/Frontier.