Aluminum door stress marks?

I've had my black 19 LTZ for a couple days and just noticed tonight when you look at the side and see the reflection you see some warping under neath the door handles on the passenger side. The warping in the rear passenger door is quite noticeable at any angle. Warping is present in the same spot on the passenger door but not as bad. The drivers side looks fine. Wasn't sure if this was normal or if I should have to dealer take a look at it? I've never noticed this before but this is my first black truck so it may make it more noticeable. Thoughts? 

Thanks, 

Dan

door panel.jpg

Edited by dphel27
Corrected the title from warping to stress marks.

Many new T1 trucks sat at the staging lot in Fort Wayne due to warped

windshields. There was no mention of warped door skin.

Maybe compare it to another black 2019 o the lot if they have one.

Otherwise, how do you like your '19 LTZ?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will most definitely have the dealer look at it and check out the other trucks they have on the lot.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the truck. I upgraded from a 16 LTZ and noticed a big change. I'm glad I opted for the 6.2 w/ 10 speed. Very smooth ride with a lot of power and better throttle response time. I also noticed that this truck sits up about an 1'' higher than my 16 which I like. It's nice cruising down the road not looking up at all the fords, and rams anymore. :)  

Only thing that was disappointing was to learn that ONSTAR only provides 1 month free trial for the remote truck app. While before with my 16 I had 3 free years of using the app. Other than that great truck. 

Edited by dphel27
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, dphel27 said:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will most definitely have the dealer look at it and check out the other trucks they have on the lot.

Overall I'm very satisfied with the truck. I upgraded from a 16 LTZ and noticed a big change. I'm glad I opted for the 6.2 w/ 10 speed. Very smooth ride with a lot of power and better throttle response time. I also noticed that this truck sits up about an 1'' higher than my 16 which I like. It's nice cruising down the road not looking up at all the fords, and rams anymore. :)  

Only thing that was disappointing was to learn that ONSTAR only provides 1 month free trial for the remote truck app. While before with my 16 I had 3 free years of using the app. Other than that great truck. 

Glad to hear!

You are the first 2019 LTZ member so far. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I already went and checked out the skins on the new 2019's  Aluminum skins are great and all but flimsiness is extremely apparent....do me a favor?  grab the handle what do you have Silverado? Grab that handle and yank and pull on it up and down and CHECK THAT FLEX in the stamped skin around the handle as you get more aggressive the thought of tearing it out becomes almost certain.  Your lucky the Silvy's are way better than the Sierra's.  Now go grab that K2 Handle on the steel skins and yank and pull?  Your not gonna like the comparison?  Remember Ford made a truck "BED" out this material..LOL  Ever seen a "Real" construction truck f-150 Al body after a few years?  Awful man ugly...Every F-150 on the road has the most beautiful ripple of Aluminum on every skin and look like ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!  But Hey what do I know?  

Edited by mookdoc6

10 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

I already went and checked out the skins on the new 2019's  Aluminum skins are great and all but flimsiness is extremely apparent....do me a favor?  grab the handle what do you have Silverado? Grab that handle and yank and pull on it up and down and CHECK THAT FLEX in the stamped skin around the handle as you get more aggressive the thought of tearing it out becomes almost certain.  Your lucky the Silvy's are way better than the Sierra's.  Now go grab that K2 Handle on the steel skins and yank and pull?  Your not gonna like the comparison?  Remember Ford made a truck "BED" out this material..LOL  Ever seen a "Real" construction truck f-150 Al body after a few years?  Awful man ugly...Every F-150 on the road has the most beautiful ripple of Aluminum on every skin and look like ABSOLUTE GARBAGE!  But Hey what do I know?  

If I did that to my 18, I'd probably break the door handle.  I fear my kids trying to open the doors when the truck is locked because the handles themselves are so flimsy.  I just tried a 19 and I didn't notice the flex, and the handle felt more secure than my 18.

I agree that such an imperfection should result in a return to the dealer.  I am curious if variations in outside temperatures have an impact on aluminum clad doors?  I know heat will play havoc on an aluminum skinned trailer.  

I took a trip to the dealership this morning. I first spoke with the truck salesman that sold me the truck. He noticed the warp right away so it's just not my imagination. I then spoke with their service manager who inspects all the trucks as they come in and he said he see's this all the time, even with previous generations. He said it sometimes happens when they press / stamp the door knock outs from the factory. He will be talking to the chevy warranty guy today to see if there is a solution. While I was at the dealership I looked at five trucks to see if they had the same warp as mine. Four out of the five trucks I looked at had some type of warping mostly like mine underneath the door handle. The only truck I didn't notice any warping at all was a Black 19 High Country. You definitely notice it more on the darker colors. The models of truck that I saw some warping were LTZ, LT, and Trail Boss. Just to clarify all of the warping I saw was on the door panels both driver, and passenger sides in various spots. 

After leaving the dealership I payed a visit to my body shop to get their opinion. They agreed it most likely was warped when they punched the knock out for the door handle. My body shop man also pointed out more warping located on the door panel near the window. Everybody I spoke with at the dealership and the body shop did not recommend getting a new door installed.There reason was there is no installation that could duplicate the installation that's done at the factory. The service manager at the dealership specifically said they could order six doors and five out of the six could have this issue. So there's a chance with that. 

So after spending close to 60k for a new truck I'm forced with these options :

1. Live with it. :)

2. Request a replacement door and run the risk the replacement door may have similar defects, and or not be installed as good as from the factory.

3. Have a body man that has yet to work on the new body styles experiment to see if they can correct the warp. ( Which may weaken the integrity of the door ) 

4. Wait to see what Chevy has to say. ( It sounded like they're going to say this is normal. ) While I see it as a quality control issue that should be addressed. 

All in all it's a wonderful truck and I'm very pleased with it. Just disappointed with the level of inconsistency. 

58 minutes ago, GMC-AT said:

ONSTAR only provides 1 month free trial for the remote truck app??  

I want to complain... but I guess I never needed it,  outside of testing it a few times on my 2016. 

That is correct. :)  The key fob feature plan which they call remote access starts at $14.99 a month. They have a unlimited plan for $39.99 a month. Apparently the representative from ONSTAR told me these changes have been in effect since May. 

14 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

You bring up a lot of valid points. I didn't notice much flex between the 18, and 19 door handles. But I didn't yank and pull on it up and down like a muscle man either. :) The purpose of the door handle is to open and close the door.

On another note my confirmation bias kicked in at lunch, and I noticed a rippled F-150 in the parking lot. It did not look pretty.