Aluminum door stress marks?

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, Bigmac said:

Curious how you scored wi if for $10/ month. Thought it was $20. 

I think I signed up for the 1G rather than the unlimited plan.  I do recall I made a phone call to GM or OnStar specifically for the WiFi but excluding OnStar.

I did see a $10 charge for "ONSTAR DATA PLAN - AT&T 993", back in August, but I did not get a $10 charge on my Sept Amex bill.  So, who knows what they’re doing.

It sure looks like GM changes their plans whenever they feel like it.

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2018 at 1:58 PM, dphel27 said:

Thanks everybody for the help and feedback. I approached Chevy and the dealership to see if they were willing to replace the two doors. After a couple weeks they finally got back with me to tell me they wouldn’t be replacing the doors. They’re reason was what I originally thought was warping is actually “ stress marks “ from my the stamping process and they consider this normal. The regional manager from Chevy said majority of the trucks have some type of stress marks on them. The service manager at the dealership told me he has seen 3-4 19’s on their lot that have the stress marks on the door panels. 

I'm disappointed they weren’t willing to make it right with me. The stress mark on the rear passenger door looks like a dent and you can see it from any angle especially since my truck is black. At least the Chevys don’t have the ripple effect like the Fords. A couple stress marks looks much better in my opinion. 

I think I can live with it. After all it’s a great truck!!! ?

Dang it! I hadn’t noticed it on my 2019 Sierra Denali until I just looked. Thanks for that ? It’s there, not as bad as on your Chevy, but there nonetheless under both side passenger door handles. Aluminum is very unforgiving and not an ideal metal for vehicles. It tends to tear rather than bend and requires any welding be done only in the presence of inert gas (can’t remember which) or instant oxidation will ruin the weld. We can thank the government for the pending new EPA mileage standards getting ready to go into effect which has precipitated the use of lighter materials on vehicles in preparation of meeting those requirements. I also think these will be the last years of the big V8 gassers. Let’s enjoy them while they last! Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the new standards go into effect 2022.

11 minutes ago, JKD said:

Dang it! I hadn’t noticed it on my 2019 Sierra Denali until I just looked. Thanks for that ? It’s there, not as bad as on your Chevy, but there nonetheless under both side passenger door handles. Aluminum is very unforgiving and not an ideal metal for vehicles. It tends to tear rather than bend and requires any welding be done only in the presence of inert gas (can’t remember which) or instant oxidation will ruin the weld. We can thank the government for the pending new EPA mileage standards getting ready to go into effect which has precipitated the use of lighter materials on vehicles in preparation of meeting those requirements. I also think these will be the last years of the big V8 gassers. Let’s enjoy them while they last! Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the new standards go into effect 2022.

Sorry for bringing it to your attention ?. Thanks for sharing all the info. I think adding the aluminum has improved the overall ride quality, I noticed a huge difference from my 16’. I’ll take ride quality over stress marks any day. I’ve never thought this may be the last time I may be able to get a 6.2 but makes sense. Enjoy your truck! 

9 hours ago, JKD said:

We can thank the government for the pending new EPA mileage standards

Small price to pay for not having crazy air pollution like Beijing where people decide on a daily basis whether to go outside based on the air quality report.  So yeah thank the government, thank the EPA and CARB for helping to keep America beautiful.

11 hours ago, Daverado said:

Small price to pay for not having crazy air pollution like Beijing where people decide on a daily basis whether to go outside based on the air quality report.  So yeah thank the government, thank the EPA and CARB for helping to keep America beautiful.

No, using aluminum is not the way to accomplish meeting the standard. There was a carburetor developed in the 50s that was able to get over 100 miles to the gallon. The patent and the inventor went “mysteriously” missing. The technology exists to improve fuel economy without sacrificing structural integrity and placing the burden of cost and compromised safety on the consumer. Did you see the pics of the Fords on the prior posts? Aluminum doesn’t have the impact absorption of steel. 20 years ago it was unthinkable to get nearly 20 miles to the gallon with a big V8. We do now. Don’t believe the political hype.

48 minutes ago, JKD said:

No, using aluminum is not the way to accomplish meeting the standard. There was a carburetor developed in the 50s that was able to get over 100 miles to the gallon. The patent and the inventor went “mysteriously” missing. The technology exists to improve fuel economy without sacrificing structural integrity and placing the burden of cost and compromised safety on the consumer. Did you see the pics of the Fords on the prior posts? Aluminum doesn’t have the impact absorption of steel. 20 years ago it was unthinkable to get nearly 20 miles to the gallon with a big V8. We do now. Don’t believe the political hype.

While some of the changes that have been made aren't the greatest, trying to claim these trucks are less safe is 100% crap. You're wrong. The F-150 has the best crash performance of any pickup and I'm sure once they get around to testing these trucks, they'll do fine too.

11 hours ago, JKD said:

Erm, so first its "We can thank the government" and now that 100mpg carburetor myth!

Sorry...not buying your conspiracy hype either.  Cite your sources.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nobodys-fuel/

https://jalopnik.com/the-mpg-conspiracy-theory-is-crap-and-heres-why-1562574926

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/712/has-a-200-mpg-carburetor-been-suppressed-by-the-oil-industry/

Edited by Daverado

40 minutes ago, Daverado said:

Erm, so first its "We can thank the government" and now that 100mpg carburetor myth!

Sorry...not buying your conspiracy hype either.  Site your sources.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/nobodys-fuel/

https://jalopnik.com/the-mpg-conspiracy-theory-is-crap-and-heres-why-1562574926

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/712/has-a-200-mpg-carburetor-been-suppressed-by-the-oil-industry/

Yeah dude, I’ve read those. Glad you have some google skills and that you seriously think the politicians have your best interest in mind. Evidently ignorance IS bliss for some.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 8:01 PM, JKD said:

The gas is argon.

GM demonstrated exactly why aluminum is very unforgiving and prone to tearing/cracks. Ford fans are VERY eager to point out that commercial airliners and many dump truck beds are made of aluminum because the material is so strong. Aluminum does indeed have an excellent strength to weight ratio. The problem is that the whole reason Ford wanted to use aluminum in the first place was to REDUCE THAT WEIGHT. Once Ford thinned out the aluminum to save weight, the panels began to be more challenging to produce and the beds were far more prone to cracking and tearing. There's no such thing as a free meal and Ford prioritized weight savings over strength. I work with guys with 2018 and 2019 F-150's. The wavy body panels are still there. The inconsistent body panel gaps and misaligned doors are still there. The bed sides are still thin and cheap feeling.

I'm glad GM stuck with a steel bed on the new trucks in case I decide to trade up some day. I would rather have to spray my bed down in fluid film to keep away rust than to have to worry about a bottle jack sliding around causing the riveted seams to split apart like I would with an F-150's aluminum bed.

9 hours ago, JKD said:

Yeah dude, I’ve read those. Glad you have some google skills and that you seriously think the politicians have your best interest in mind. Evidently ignorance IS bliss for some.

Nah, that ain't how it is.  Not blindly believing any hairbrained ideas people spout on the Internet without credible sources or science to back them up is pretty much exactly the opposite of ignorance.  It's actually knowledge that people out there with political agendas actually make up "facts" that simply aren't true or supported by reason.

Given the political nature of your rant and lack of credible evidence to support your claims, you are a politician and I don't believe that you have my best interests in mind.

I'm happy to learn from credible sources or evidence, so cite yours.  My Google skills can't find any sources at all that actually support your claim.

Thanks HondaHawk, it seems as though some may have read my post to say I think that aluminum is unsafe. I never it said it was unsafe. It’s my opinion that it is LESS safe than steel. In order for aluminum to reach the same strength standards of steel, it must be much thicker. The increased thickness makes it heavier and it costs much more, and negates the weight savings sought to achieve in the first place. The fact that F150s are so expensive is in part due to the use of aluminum. They are a very nice truck and I’m not at all biased against Ford. Dollar for dollar, GM trucks are a better value for me. ?

18 minutes ago, Daverado said:

Nah, that ain't how it is.  Not blindly believing any hairbrained ideas people spout on the Internet without credible sources or science to back them up is pretty much exactly the opposite of ignorance.  It's actually knowledge that people out there with political agendas actually make up "facts" that simply aren't true or supported by reason.

Given the political nature of your rant and lack of credible evidence to support your claims, you are a politician and I don't believe that you have my best interests in mind.

I'm happy to learn from credible sources or evidence, so cite yours.  My Google skills can't find any sources at all that actually support your claim.

Daverado, I value Your opinion. In the spirit of open mindedness, please read the following articles. Not attempting to change you view, but it may encourage you to understand why many people’s opinions differ from yours. I’ll concede that many people’s opinions differ from mine as well. The first and second article illustrate the financial gravity of big oil.

The third article has references to a multitude of real and verifiable sources. 

Have a a great day!

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Crude-Oil/The-17-Trillion-Oil-Industry-Isnt-Going-Anywhere.html

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/clean-fuels/where-your-gas-money-goes#.XDXjgqROmEc

http://fuel-efficient-vehicles.org/energy-news/?page_id=785

Instead of a crummy little old 2000lbs 1950s carbureted car at 100mpg I’m driving a big black jacked up 6000lbs AT4 with heated seats/steering wheel pushed by 420hp V8that hauls butt and can get 19MPG easy when I’m not enjoying myself too much.  

“They” can keep their mythical 100mpg carburetor and I’ll stick with real world modern engineering that makes understands that some trade off like aluminum doors are part of balancing the equation for the things I care about like big power and 4x4 when I want it.