In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
DMAXNAZ

Diff Drop and Idler Pitman Arm Supports

The diff drop is new to me for a torsion cranked leveled truck. I had over 100K on my last 2500 when I sold it, and it was cranked from day one with no diff drop. I know I can get the spacers for $40 and have them installed in under an hour, but is it actually needed?? I don't seem to feel any vibration from the front end that would tell me I might need to do this mod. Is it just a piece of mind thing?? On my last truck I replaced the idler and pitman at 70K. I did install the supports when that replacement took place. It was hard to understand how they actually worked until I installed them and you could see how they would help. Even looking at a picture you can't really tell. I would appreciate any feedback on either mod if possible. 

The diff drop is just to adjust for the cv axle angle increase you get if you crank the torsion bars up.  It has zero to do with the steering and they are not connected to one another. The supports would be for the added stress of larger heavier tires and if they help I couldn't tell you.  

I have the diff drop on my 17 and it flattened out my cv axle angle back to close to stock.  The more angle you run on a cv the more stress it sees and faster it wears out.  If you never really use 4wd it would take a really long time with no load on them.