1 month ONSTAR trial! :)

dphel27

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I found out during the purchase of my 2019 Silverado that ONSTAR did away with the 3 year free remote access when you purchase a new truck. Instead I was informed that they have switched it to a 1 month free trial. If you decide you want the remote access plan to unlock, lock, remote start the vehicle, plus other features you have to pay $14.99 a month or $149.90 annually. I did make an attempt to contact ONSTAR to see if this information was correct and it indeed was. The agent described another plan available that ONSTAR does not have on their website that I believe was around $9.99 a month or $100.00 annually if you prefer just to utilize your key fob through the app. 

Needless to say I don't think I will be paying extra to utilize the services. I did see that they provide a Connected Access plan at no additional charge that provides you with vehicle diagnostics, dealer maintenence notifications, chevy smart driver, marketplace, and in vehicle app access. My account showed that this Connected Access plan will expire in 10 years. Unfortunately this plan does not include the ability to remotely unlock, lock, start your truck. 

Thoughts? 

I have it on my 2016 - honestly never used it expect just to test it.   For me.. the remote unlock/start is worthless cause you can't actually drive the truck anywhere in the event you lose a key.. or key fob in the case of the 2019. 

3 hours ago, dphel27 said:

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I found out during the purchase of my 2019 Silverado that ONSTAR did away with the 3 year free remote access when you purchase a new truck. Instead I was informed that they have switched it to a 1 month free trial. If you decide you want the remote access plan to unlock, lock, remote start the vehicle, plus other features you have to pay $14.99 a month or $149.90 annually. I did make an attempt to contact ONSTAR to see if this information was correct and it indeed was. The agent described another plan available that ONSTAR does not have on their website that I believe was around $9.99 a month or $100.00 annually if you prefer just to utilize your key fob through the app. 

Needless to say I don't think I will be paying extra to utilize the services. I did see that they provide a Connected Access plan at no additional charge that provides you with vehicle diagnostics, dealer maintenence notifications, chevy smart driver, marketplace, and in vehicle app access. My account showed that this Connected Access plan will expire in 10 years. Unfortunately this plan does not include the ability to remotely unlock, lock, start your truck. 

Thoughts? 

That's kind of a rip off.  I use the remote start on the app all the time in the winter. 

Yup, I just found out myself and am not even considering it. It's too expensive and an automatic "no". It's little things like this that gave GM an advantage in my world. Not saying it's a deal breaker but it's a pro that's now a con. It's never good business to take features away. 

• Like 2

I was actually just looking into this yesterday  and ended up calling on star as well. I was really disappointed because it came standard on my 2008 Tahoe and 2015 Silverado, but not on my new 2018 Silverado.

The only thing I cared about was the remote. It feels kind of cheap to only get one month, especially when other manufacturers are just giving that functionality away. 

Edited by IncisionInd
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Big E in TX said:

WHO CARES???? Your buying a $60K truck and seriously complaining about a $14.99 a month membership? Jeez

The complaints are because the $14.99 used to cost $0. The cost would be even more ridiculous for the cheapest vehicle GM sells. It has nothing to do with what somebody pays for their truck. 

• Like 3

Prices of the vehicles keep going up and they keep taking features away or charge for them.  I was surprised too when I bought my 2018 earlier this year and discovered they only give you 2 free oil changes/tire rotations vs the 4 and charging for the remote access.  I don't understand why they charge for the Onstar emergency service.  If a company has the technology to provide emergency services if an accident is detected or locating your vehicle if stolen/carjacked; one should not have to pay extra or it should just be wrapped into price of vehicle like seat belts.  I have heard from friends where their elderly parents could not afford that service and when they call Onstar to complain, they offer them a discounted rate.  There are some elderly folks out there that do not have cell phones and this service could be a lifesaver for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

To add fuel to the fire...   I think you only get 1 FREE oil change with the 2019?  Can new owners confirm?  

I was told 2 from GM, and my dealer gave me another 6 with the purchase of a new vehicle.  I even double checked the other day, and they said I had 8 left.  

14 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

To add fuel to the fire...   I think you only get 1 FREE oil change with the 2019?  Can new owners confirm?  

I only received 1 month free oil change when I purchased my 19 LTZ. My salesman was embarrassed to inform me about the 1 free oil change, and the 1 month trial of ONSTAR. With price increases with new truck configurations, and taking features away. Hopefully that means in the future something better is coming. ?