In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

dphel27

1 month ONSTAR trial! :)

On 9/22/2018 at 12:34 PM, Big E in TX said:

WHO CARES???? Your buying a $60K truck and seriously complaining about a $14.99 a month membership? Jeez

I agree with others when I say that I think that you are missing the point.  Also some of us didn't buy 60k trucks, mine was a much lower number :).

The biggest problem is that it is something that they used to include, but now they are taking out.  I mean come on Sirius has a longer trial.  Also its a feature that other companies, like Ford, will give you for free.

• Like 1

GM has been on this "chip away" pattern for a while.. starting to irritate me. 

My 2014 -  100K power train warranty

My 2016 - 60K power train warranty

My 2019 -  only 1 FREE oil change, no more FREE onstar unlock/start beyond 1 month. 

They keep chipping away.  All I can say is my 2019 better be bullet proof.. or I'm leaving the brand after 20+ years and not coming back.  I got real close this last time, but stuck with them ....

On 9/20/2018 at 4:09 PM, dphel27 said:

I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I found ... If you decide you want the remote access plan to unlock, lock, remote start the vehicle, plus other features you have to pay $14.99 a month or $149.90 annually.

...another plan available that ONSTAR does not have on their website that I believe was around $9.99 a month or $100.00 annually if you prefer just to utilize your key fob through the app. 

Thoughts? 

I heard this a couple months ago and thought it was a joke too. I think Onstar is a massive waste of space and resources, but having the ability to remote start/ unlock the truck is one nice thing they offer. It is the only thing my smartphone can't do without them. Every other "service" they provide is just a duplicate of the phone I already pay for.

Now and then I may leave my keys on my dresser and want to get in the truck, but how often is my phone not in my pocket? And I can also access my wife's car from the same app. Its a nice little convenience. But I don't NEED it or use it often enough to pay $100 or $150 a year just for the option to use it maybe 10 times.

Once all the free trials are done and no one is paying for this service, hopefully they'll reconsider and drastically drop the price. I'd be a buyer at about $3.00 per month. Any more than that, I'll just keep the key in my pocket.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2018 at 2:34 PM, Big E in TX said:

WHO CARES???? Your buying a $60K truck and seriously complaining about a $14.99 a month membership? Jeez

Wow, aren't you just onstar's dream customer. 

Sign this guy up for throwing away another $179.88 per year. That's nothing on top of his lease payment and insurance. Who needs to budget their money??

18 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Once all the free trials are done and no one is paying for this service, hopefully they'll reconsider and drastically drop the price. I'd be a buyer at about $3.00 per month. Any more than that, I'll just keep the key in my pocket.

The three a month would work for me as well, but i would really prefer the option for a one time payment. Just make a separate app I need to buy and only buy once. 

Edited by IncisionInd

2 minutes ago, IncisionInd said:

The three a month would work for me as well, but i would really prefer the option for a one time payment. Just make a separate app I need to buy and only buy once. 

I totally agree. I would pay for an app 1 time that lasts forever (as long as I own the truck).

Maybe some tech nerd can create a new app that works that way.

I hope someone from Onstar is listening....

1 hour ago, aseibel said:

Wow, aren't you just onstar's dream customer. 

Sign this guy up for throwing away another $179.88 per year. That's nothing on top of his lease payment and insurance. Who needs to budget their money??

Here’s the deal... I didn’t use it on my 2010 Silverado, My wife or I don’t use it on our 2016 Tahoe, and I am pretty confident I am not going to use it on my 2019 Silverado. Why bitch about something that 90% of the folks don’t use?

2 hours ago, IncisionInd said:

I agree with others when I say that I think that you are missing the point.  Also some of us didn't buy 60k trucks, mine was a much lower number :).

The biggest problem is that it is something that they used to include, but now they are taking out.  I mean come on Sirius has a longer trial.  Also its a feature that other companies, like Ford, will give you for free.

I think everyone else is missing the point and it is just something for people to complain about. 9 out of 10 people do not use Onstar past their free trial. I would like to know out of all the people mad about GM not opting to give a free 3 year trial, how many of them actually use the service religiously, or is it just something that they feel is cool to have and have only used it a handful of times in the years?

2 minutes ago, Big E in TX said:

Why bitch about something that 90% of the folks don’t use?

I think everyone else is missing the point and it is just something for people to complain about. 9 out of 10 people do not use Onstar past their free trial. I would like to know out of all the people mad about GM not opting to give a free 3 year trial, how many of them actually use the service religiously, or is it just something that they feel is cool to have and have only used it a handful of times in the years?

Since your signature says you are in texas, I'm guessing you have no value in remote starting your truck to warm up in winter. Yeah, most of us will just live without it. But every once in a while its nice to warm up the truck when you are out of range of the key fob. Say you are leaving work and the parking lot is on the other side of the building.

For that matter do you even know that we are talking about the "remote app" functions specifically, not the onstar service in general. You are right that 90% of people never pay for onstar. But this one service, (the remote app), was available for free for several years when you purchased a new vehicle. Now they are trying to to charge us. That's why we're annoyed. If you don't want the service, then don't worry about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Since your signature says you are in texas, I'm guessing you have no value in remote starting your truck to warm up in winter.

You are right that 90% of people never pay for onstar. But this one service, (the remote app), was available for free for several years when you purchased a new vehicle. Now they are trying to to charge us. That's why we're annoyed.

Ok Aseibel,

you are right, I was not considering the folks sub-zero temperatures considering here in Texas it doesn’t get very cold.

I see the remote app being cool and very helpful but may I play Devils Advocate for a second?

can you press the lock and unlock button on your key fob to achieve the same result?

7 minutes ago, Big E in TX said:

Ok Aseibel,

you are right, I was not considering the folks sub-zero temperatures considering here in Texas it doesn’t get very cold.

I see the remote app being cool and very helpful but may I play Devils Advocate for a second?

can you press the lock and unlock button on your key fob to achieve the same result?

You can but the app works at any range. If your out of range of the remote, you can start, lock/unlock from any distance.

In other words, I could start my vehicle from my desk rather than in range of my vehicle.  

Edited by mawint

8 minutes ago, Big E in TX said:

may I play Devils Advocate for a second?

Yes, you can. But there are two very important differences with the App that the fob cannot do:

1) The app works infinitely far away from the vehicle, the fob must be within a couple hundred feet or so without obstructions. like I said above. Imagine you are inside the big box store, or at work on the far side of the building. your fob won't start the truck from there. you wouldn't be using the lock functions from there, but remote start only.

2) The app provides feedback telling you the truck is started. So if you can't see it you know its on. The fob does no such thing.

again, if you never remote start the vehicle, you probably don't care. You almost never need to unlock the truck when you aren't standing near it.

One scenario you could benefit from- if you (or the wife) ever lock the key inside, even if your phone is inside as well, whoever still has their phone could unlock it from work, home or anywhere as long as you remember the phone number to call them, lol. My wife and I both have the app with access to both our vehicles.

Granted, these are small luxuries, that's why I stated I'd only pay $3/ month for it. But if I don't have the option to use it, I would be annoyed.

Edited by aseibel

3 hours ago, Big E in TX said:

Here’s the deal... I didn’t use it on my 2010 Silverado, My wife or I don’t use it on our 2016 Tahoe, and I am pretty confident I am not going to use it on my 2019 Silverado. Why bitch about something that 90% of the folks don’t use?

If you can back up proof that 90% don't use it I'll agree with you. Otherwise, you're just throwing out a number to make a point. 

12 hours ago, magnum74 said:

If you can back up proof that 90% don't use it I'll agree with you. Otherwise, you're just throwing out a number to make a point. 

Well Magnum, now your just being an instigator but ok you want statistics.....

Number of subscribers in millions
2013 6.5
2014 6.8
2015 6.6
2016 7.2
2017* 7

This is from FY ‘13-‘17 worldwide users in millions. 

Over the last 16 years, OnStar has provided the following services: 
- More than 94 million Turn-by-Turn routes
- 191,000 Automatic Crash Response calls
- 6.9 billion Hands-Free Calling minutes purchased 
- More than 213 million Vehicle Diagnostic emails sent (You get these monthly)
- More than 5.8 million Remote Door Unlocks (800,000 in the last 13 months) (What this thread is about)
- 2.9 million Roadside Assistance responses
- 59,000 Stolen Vehicle Assistances

i am sorry Magnum but I do not have the data of how many Onstar enabled vehicles GM has sold worldwide from 2013-2017, however you would think about 10 million a year. So from 2013-2017 if GM sold 50 million cars, only 7 million subscribers to onstar, that is about 87% of owners not subscribing to Onstar.

So Magnum I redact my 90% claim, 87% is the actual number.

• Haha 1

Yeah I don't like that they took away the remote key fob for free.  GMC still has this free for 5 years and as part of the 19.99 OnStar package after that, so it sucks Chevy decided to charge us 14.99 a month for a key fob app and 24.99 for the most basic OnStar package now.  I feel paying for a feature you only use a few times a year but used to be nice for those handful of times is a step in the wrong direction.   Why make it standard and free in 2013 only to charge nearly as much as full OnStar 5 years later?  Seems like they don't have a very well thought out plan.  It would even be cool if they just let us have maybe 5 starts or unlocks a month or even charge me 99 cents a use, but 15 bucks just for the option to start or unlock your truck a few times is insane.   Guess I'm going to have to call OnStar if I get locked out in the future.   If they keep taking away all these perks they are going to lose a lot of customers over it that's for sure, powertrain, oil changes, remote apps, what's next tires sold separately or some assembly required on brand new vehicles?