1 month ONSTAR trial! :)

dphel27

It's not right that they now limit it, like posted above other manufactures include it free, not sure which ones so I can't state facts on that but remember seeing adds on TV.

We use it and mostly because my wife drives a bunch of miles and on back country roads some at night and we have a special needs daughter. So for me it is worth the cost to have it just in case of an accident for OnStar to contact her if something happens or she needs help due to something other than an accident. 

Granted, I'm a very small group but it gives me a piece of mind knowing that there is an extra eye looking out for my family encase of an emergency.

Yeah I don't like that they took away the remote key fob for free.  GMC still has this free for 5 years and as part of the 19.99 OnStar package after that, so it sucks Chevy decided to charge us 14.99 a month for a key fob app and 24.99 for the most basic OnStar package now.  I feel paying for a feature you only use a few times a year but used to be nice for those handful of times is a step in the wrong direction.   Why make it standard and free in 2013 only to charge nearly as much as full OnStar 5 years later?  Seems like they don't have a very well thought out plan.  It would even be cool if they just let us have maybe 5 starts or unlocks a month or even charge me 99 cents a use, but 15 bucks just for the option to start or unlock your truck a few times is insane.   Guess I'm going to have to call OnStar if I get locked out in the future.   If they keep taking away all these perks they are going to lose a lot of customers over it that's for sure, powertrain, oil changes, remote apps, what's next tires sold separately or some assembly required on brand new vehicles? 

When did they start charging for the "app"? I thought the app was free and you only had to pay for the OnStar subscription? Now you have to pay for the app AND package??

I have a 2017, and I got the 5yr basic for free. But, I'm currently paying $14.99 for the security package.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 9/25/2018 at 8:02 AM, Big E in TX said:

Well Magnum, now your just being an instigator but ok you want statistics.....

Number of subscribers in millions
2013 6.5
2014 6.8
2015 6.6
2016 7.2
2017* 7

This is from FY ‘13-‘17 worldwide users in millions. 

Over the last 16 years, OnStar has provided the following services: 
- More than 94 million Turn-by-Turn routes
- 191,000 Automatic Crash Response calls
- 6.9 billion Hands-Free Calling minutes purchased 
- More than 213 million Vehicle Diagnostic emails sent (You get these monthly)
- More than 5.8 million Remote Door Unlocks (800,000 in the last 13 months) (What this thread is about)
- 2.9 million Roadside Assistance responses
- 59,000 Stolen Vehicle Assistances

i am sorry Magnum but I do not have the data of how many Onstar enabled vehicles GM has sold worldwide from 2013-2017, however you would think about 10 million a year. So from 2013-2017 if GM sold 50 million cars, only 7 million subscribers to onstar, that is about 87% of owners not subscribing to Onstar.

So Magnum I redact my 90% claim, 87% is the actual number.

GM states they have 12 million connected vehicles on the road, (source is this 2017 article, https://www.networkworld.com/article/3183090/internet-of-things/12m-connected-cars-gives-general-motors-a-massive-iot-fleet.html ) because not everything they sell has OnStar. That certainly changes the percentage, to about 42% not subscribing. I hardly used anything other than the remote start feature when I had to park farther away than the fob would work in the winter, so the frost/snow was easier to remove when I got to my truck.

I think its annoying they changed it, but think they are missing out on a selling point they could use in ads, which is more disappointing to me. 

There is nothing wrong with paying for peace of mind if you can afford it. After-all, that is what it is right? 

Whether referring to OnStar or an Extended warranty on a vehicle. It's all peace of mind.

Insurance on the other hand is Legalized Extorsion! :M16:

25 minutes ago, SAMS819 said:

When I activated my OnStar on Saturday, they gave me 3 months of free service. 

Was that 3 months free in exchange for your credit card details? After 3 months, they'll start auto-charging $24.99 a month.

I have the protection plan for $9.99/month prepaid for a year and made sure they didn't keep my credit card on file. Next year I'll renegotiate again.

21 hours ago, jpinoy said:

When did they start charging for the "app"? I thought the app was free and you only had to pay for the OnStar subscription? Now you have to pay for the app AND package??

I have a 2017, and I got the 5yr basic for free. But, I'm currently paying $14.99 for the security package.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Must be 2018+  here is the info from OnStar on this now.  You get one month trial for the remote fob and on demand diagnostics then it's 14.99 a month.  My wife's GMC is also a 2018 but includes those both free for 5 years and as part of the lowest OnStar package. 

20181017_194157.jpg

Here is the current GMC offerings which you can see includes the fob even in the lowest plans.

Not sure why the plan differ so much between Chevy and GMC but I guess they must have some reason.

The only thing I see Chevy offers on its lowest plan that GMC doesn't is the stolen vehicle assist which I had on my Traverse when some 17 year old kid stole it a few years back and they were not helpful in the one time I actually needed it.  Car ended up impounded and they wouldn't even tell me it's location or where it had been which seems like pretty basic things.

Screenshot_20181017-195138_Chrome.jpg

When I bought my '18 back in May, I was told that I would keep the Remote Access functions on the app regardless of whether I cancelled the rest of my subscriptions.  Never really used it until the other day when we had a frost and I wanted to start the truck.  Go to the app and I now cannot access the remote access stuff without upgrading my sub.

On 9/24/2018 at 5:02 PM, Big E in TX said:

Ok ok well for the frigid temperature guys I can see how that would come in handy.

Not just frigid temps.  This last summer, I'd use the remote start feature when I had landed at the airport (I travel a lot) to get things cooled down by the time I got off the shuttle to my car.

I agree, it's not a life and death issue but it was handy at times.  Mostly, I'm kinda miffed at the fact that it was just taken away.  I could understand not offering it for future purchases but just having it disappear was poor form.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 18Midnight said:

Must be 2018+  here is the info from OnStar on this now.  You get one month trial for the remote fob and on demand diagnostics then it's 14.99 a month.  My wife's GMC is also a 2018 but includes those both free for 5 years and as part of the lowest OnStar package. 

5 hours ago, 18Midnight said:

Here is the current GMC offerings which you can see includes the fob even in the lowest plans.

Not sure why the plan differ so much between Chevy and GMC but I guess they must have some reason.

The only thing I see Chevy offers on its lowest plan that GMC doesn't is the stolen vehicle assist which I had on my Traverse when some 17 year old kid stole it a few years back and they were not helpful in the one time I actually needed it.  Car ended up impounded and they wouldn't even tell me it's location or where it had been which seems like pretty basic things.

Screenshot_20181017-195138_Chrome.jpg

Ok, I guess I misunderstood what you meant when you said pay for the app and plan. You can't use the app unless you have a plan, so it's just paying for the plan to use the app. I have the basic for 5/yrs free, ends in 2022. But, I got an email a while back and they offered me the Security at $14.99, which, I was paying $24.99(or $249.90 for 1/yrs subs) for a while back. I just looked in my account and checked the plans, and this is what I'm seeing for my options for my Chevy. 

5bc81d6fa245c_onstarplan.thumb.PNG.40f7af8a8ee13f875ab60cd176b8c8e1.PNG

9 hours ago, Brummie99 said:

Was that 3 months free in exchange for your credit card details? After 3 months, they'll start auto-charging $24.99 a month.

I have the protection plan for $9.99/month prepaid for a year and made sure they didn't keep my credit card on file. Next year I'll renegotiate again.

Maybe I should call them up and see if they can give me a better deal on the security package.. :D I'm already paying $10 less than what they normally charge, what's another $5 off.. :lol: