New 2018 Crew Cab Z71. Need bed liner/cover and lighting.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up my new truck: 2018 Silverado Z71 L-83 Crew Cab.  It'll be replacing my (aging) 1999 Blazer.  I'm looking forward to having something a bit nicer for my ~80 mile commute to work...

As far as options go, it is only lacking two things that it's lacking: A bed liner and a tonneau.

The dealer offered to do a spray-in liner, but was unsure as to what brand they use.  For a similar price, I can snag a Bedrug via Amazon or use my discount to go with the Chevrolet-branded "carpeted" liner.  Is it safe to assume that the Chevrolet-branded liner is also produced by Bed Rug?  Aside from the occasional load of auto parts, I primarily use the box for plastic tool boxes, luggage, hockey gear, etc.  Was thinking that the Bed Rug or even a Weathertech liner would likely fit my needs better?  Very rarely am I carting around engines and transmissions these days.

There seems to be an endless number of tonneau options out there.  I've had a Truxedo and (I believe) Extang on previous trucks.  It looks like GM offers both the "Logo" cover for $500 and a cover by Advantage for $350 (both before discounts).   I'm pretty open to suggestions.  My only criteria here is that is is a soft cover with Velcro enclosure on the sides, preferably USA made.  The Truxedo Lo Pro fits this bill, but I'm not sure about other options.

This brings us to lighting.  I frequently need to travel through rural northern Michigan at night.  While the stock headlamps are adequate, more lighting is never a bad thing.  I was looking at the Morimoto D5S 35W upgrade in 5500k for the headlights.  However, I would like to add a light bar if at all possible.  I read about GM offering a Baja Designs light bar for the sport rack, but I was hoping for something along the lines of a bumper or grille mount that would provide for a clean, no-drill install.  I've found similar brackets for the older trucks, but nothing specifically for the facelift models.  Ideally, this would be a bracket that will utilize existing bolts/holes and take something like a 30" light bar that could be wired to a relay triggered by the OEM off-road light switch (PN 84168423).

Bed liner: Line-x Platinum 

Bed cover: Gator Covers

Headlights: 25w GTR Lighting GEN 3 Ultra Series LED Bulbs

Don't put a light bar above the cab if you care about gas mileage and wind noise.  Put one up front, behind the grill or on a bull bar or something.

7 hours ago, drunkonunleaded said:

Tomorrow I'll be picking up my new truck: 2018 Silverado Z71 L-83 Crew Cab.  It'll be replacing my (aging) 1999 Blazer.  I'm looking forward to having something a bit nicer for my ~80 mile commute to work...

As far as options go, it is only lacking two things that it's lacking: A bed liner and a tonneau.

The dealer offered to do a spray-in liner, but was unsure as to what brand they use.  For a similar price, I can snag a Bedrug via Amazon or use my discount to go with the Chevrolet-branded "carpeted" liner.  Is it safe to assume that the Chevrolet-branded liner is also produced by Bed Rug?  Aside from the occasional load of auto parts, I primarily use the box for plastic tool boxes, luggage, hockey gear, etc.  Was thinking that the Bed Rug or even a Weathertech liner would likely fit my needs better?  Very rarely am I carting around engines and transmissions these days.

There seems to be an endless number of tonneau options out there.  I've had a Truxedo and (I believe) Extang on previous trucks.  It looks like GM offers both the "Logo" cover for $500 and a cover by Advantage for $350 (both before discounts).   I'm pretty open to suggestions.  My only criteria here is that is is a soft cover with Velcro enclosure on the sides, preferably USA made.  The Truxedo Lo Pro fits this bill, but I'm not sure about other options.

This brings us to lighting.  I frequently need to travel through rural northern Michigan at night.  While the stock headlamps are adequate, more lighting is never a bad thing.  I was looking at the Morimoto D5S 35W upgrade in 5500k for the headlights.  However, I would like to add a light bar if at all possible.  I read about GM offering a Baja Designs light bar for the sport rack, but I was hoping for something along the lines of a bumper or grille mount that would provide for a clean, no-drill install.  I've found similar brackets for the older trucks, but nothing specifically for the facelift models.  Ideally, this would be a bracket that will utilize existing bolts/holes and take something like a 30" light bar that could be wired to a relay triggered by the OEM off-road light switch (PN 84168423).

Care to explain why you recommend the Gator cover vs. anything else?

As far as headlights go, what you're explaining won't work in my application.  The LT Z71 uses a D5S HID with an integrated ignitor.  GTR does not make anything in a D5S replacement.

Definitely not going the roof-mount.  If you would have read my post, I was searching for a grill or bumper mount solution that ideally uses factory holes.

7 hours ago, drunkonunleaded said:

Care to explain why you recommend the Gator cover vs. anything else?

As far as headlights go, what you're explaining won't work in my application.  The LT Z71 uses a D5S HID with an integrated ignitor.  GTR does not make anything in a D5S replacement.

Definitely not going the roof-mount.  If you would have read my post, I was searching for a grill or bumper mount solution that ideally uses factory holes.

You can spend days researching tonneau covers. I chose Gator for only a couple of reasons. For what I wanted, the price was right and the reviews were very good. It's only been on a year, but still looks brand new. I did a vinyl treatment on it, which might help. As for your headlights, the HIDs are not bright enough? Do you own a drill? If you want to install a behind grill light bar at least get one with the lumens you want and good review too.

If you end up going with GM Accessories on your new truck (congrats BTW) go to Chevy Legends.com and see if you qualify to be a legend. If you do you get a discount code for 20% off GM Accessories. Not sure if there’s a max amount or not? I bought the swing box this way and picked it up at the dealer cheaper than I could bought it anywhere online. 

Couple threads ads to get you going

I have a Truxedo roll up on my old 3/4 ton that has been on there for 7+ years if someday I decide to get one for the 1/2 ton it will be another Truxedo. 

Off road switch and the harness your’ll need 

I can’t find the thread right now but I think all 017+ trucks have the active shutters behind the grille so as of right now I don’t believe anybody offers the brackets to mount a LED bar behind the grille with the shutters. There is a couple work arounds for this some guys have removed the shutters and either programmed out the CEL or rigged up the motors to think they are still there. One guy figured out how to mount his (30” curved I believe) with minimal trimming to a couple of the shutters. Supposedly Rough Country is working on a bracket to work with the shutters but they is no ETA as to when/IF it will be available.

Not sure what the 18's are using ,but my 17, I installed the Morimoto D5s 35w 5500k . I think I purchased on sale about 275$. As far as any big difference for me in brightness, distance, or quality of light.. NO-WAY worth the cash, my opinion. gota be a better choice out there. 

Last week I installed a new cover from Lund Industries purchased from Amazon.

The reasons for me,  made in the USA, And more important is their customer service is second to none.  They have a limited lifetime guarantee which I had to use on my first one, and had absolutely no issues getting the problem resolved.

This is my second cover from them and very happy with the install, quality and look.