Help me install truck bed lights

jlozan2

Hey guys,

I want to install some additional tuck bed lighting in my truck. My truck came with the 2 lights mounted towards the back and its simply not enough now that i have my roll.n.lock installed.

I think i might snag this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Truck-Coverage-Lighting-Strip/dp/B07B5SHQTC/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1537535108&sr=1-1&keywords=opt7+truck+bed+strip

I want to use the fuse tap adapters to tap in, where do I tap into? Also any tips on running the wires to the rivers side fuse box?

I plan on using the "lift gate option" which will turn the lights on when I open the tailgate.

Thanks in advance!

I bought some rock lights that are magnetic and come with 10 fr of wire and quick spliced into the existing bed lights so since theyre magnetic i can move them around, they stick to the bed really strong even where it is line x’d, thats just how i did mine the first picture is without the extra lights and the second pic is with extra lights pictures dont do justice of course f7ee2a11def80e39ef6a35b90a432ba8.jpg7491748cfab9551178969f23022f47a2.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, goeb34 said:

I bought some rock lights that are magnetic and come with 10 fr of wire and quick spliced into the existing bed lights so since theyre magnetic i can move them around, they stick to the bed really strong even where it is line x’d, thats just how i did mine the first picture is without the extra lights and the second pic is with extra lights pictures dont do justice of course f7ee2a11def80e39ef6a35b90a432ba8.jpg7491748cfab9551178969f23022f47a2.jpg

that looks great! links?

8 hours ago, goeb34 said:

Did you wire them into the existing bed light so they come on at the same time, or did you wire them in seperately and use the on/off switch they come with?

Bob

Did you wire them into the existing bed light so they come on at the same time, or did you wire them in seperately and use the on/off switch they come with?

Bob

Used the existing bed lights, just cut the sleeve and tapped into the wires and taped then back up

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, goeb34 said:

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:40 PM, AE1M said:

Bob

Would you mind sharing a part number and source for those magnetic lights?

I have looked and looked for some way to trigger the opening of the tailgate without drilling wholes to turn on a set of lights inside the bed since I have a cover on mine. I’m consding just putting some of the smaller led ones inside the bed (17$ ) and just wiring them to the running lights off the trailer lights. They are LED so it’s not like they would take a lot of power and they are designed to run like a running light and since I have a bed cover you couldn’t see any light unless I have the tailgate opened. I think this would be more useful since I never remember to push the cargo light before jumping out of the truck. 

Thought?

Edited by Superman_006

5 hours ago, Superman_006 said:

I have looked and looked for some way to trigger the opening of the tailgate without drilling wholes to turn on a set of lights inside the bed since I have a cover on mine. I’m consding just putting some of the smaller led ones inside the bed (17$ ) and just wiring them to the running lights off the trailer lights. They are LED so it’s not like they would take a lot of power and they are designed to run like a running light and since I have a bed cover you couldn’t see any light unless I have the tailgate opened. I think this would be more useful since I never remember to push the cargo light before jumping out of the truck. 

Thought?

In theory probably not a bad idea and easily done.  I just don't know what your truck's BCM will "think" about it since everything on late model vehicles is CAN Bus and you never know what issues you will run into.

I wish GM would copy Ford, my F-150 had a timed switch right at the bed light, to me that is the best way to go.

14 hours ago, Superman_006 said:

That factory kit gm 23295943 is so freaking clean of an install.... I think I'm going to go with it and cash in "mychevroleyrewards" points and get it from my local dealer for free.

Thats what I have right now and they are great but just so pricey....