New 2018 vs 2019 dilemma

Donstar

6 hours ago, Donstar said:

I've been looking for a new truck (on and off) for months.  My original incentive for replacing my  current '15 was for more trailer towing ability.   Unfortunately, the bigger trailer dream is indefinitely postponed.   My peers are buying their compact suv's and crossovers but nothing beats the feel and comfort of a full size pickup, imo.  The fact that my wife refuses to drive the big beast and also wants me to get a suv has its own pressures to choose carefully.  If more power can't be my justification for buying new, then operating costs and comfort get a lot more attention!   Here is my reason for getting your opinions.  I decided long ago that any new truck will be a LTZ/SLT level or better.  I had settled on taking advantage of '18 clearance prices but videos such as this on are making me think otherwise!  This video does an excellent job providing a down to earth look at a '19 LT.  The interior and exterior are both preferable to me than any '18 LTZ or SLT currently on the lots.  The new models have not reached our dealerships yet but this video is enough to make me hold off until they do before buying new.  I know that there are many variations to consider but I'd appreciate your thoughts on my '18 LTZ / SLT or a '19 LT / SLE dilemma.

Here we go again...

1. first year redesigns will have just as many issues. new engine design with skip fire.

2. Deep discounts on 2018's solid truck when loaded, esp with a 6.2L don't sit here and tell me the 6.2 isnt worth it prob..., not not fulling anyone. Prob... get it for free with discounts so its moot.

3. 2019 side mirrors are the ugliest mirrors & position I ever seen on a truck, bar none.

4. Projector headlights missing, 2019's are not projectors... why did they go back to 2007.5 headlights? reflector lens, squeezing the penny's out.

5. Still offer a sunroof for some reason aka leaking hole, why no A/C headliners like the SUV's, center console air is ridiculous. I firmly do not agree with the mass's that includes the roof made of glass... some peoples kids.

only 2 things they offer now over my truck is HUD, and side blind alert. which was ONLY in the SUV chassis for some damn reason.   

Get you a 2018 loaded, you'll be much happier, only problem is later you wont settle for a LT wont even cross your mind. BTW when I spec'ed my Denali truck it was less expensive than a SLT with the same options. In fact I had to order it and wait, and it was still less expensive.

Edited by 05SIERRAMAN

Go with the 19. The 18 is totally dated in every way save the interior. I bought a 14 SLT . I had no first year problems. A few software recalls. Other than that I love it. It's time for me to get another. It will be a 19. I would not be happy with an another K2. It would not seem new to me. The deals look enticing, but the new ones will come down soon.

I've been looking to score a deal on an 18 for a couple months now, but won't pay what I've been seeing in the Boston area.  I have a perfectly good 16, but with miles getting up there, and changeover in the 19's, it seemed like a good time to look for one to hold on to for a few years.

Anyway, went to my local dealer for a casual drive through today.  They were bursting at the seams with inventory (mostly 18's and some 19's).  No where to park, so I'm going to keep pressing them to give me the 20% + I want off an 18 if I can.

During my walk around, I had a few observations on the 19.  These are very superficial observations, so take that for what it's worth because I did not drive the new 19 truck.  I think I can get used to the new design aesthetically on the outside, however I thought it was a little odd how the front end of the fenders were just hanging there as they connect into the front assy.  There's a gap there that I'm sure for functional reasons helps, but it looks a little odd to me. 

The tailgate looked pretty sweet.  I do like the stamped Chevrolet emblem in the tailgate and the whole back end was pretty attractive.  I also like the interior of the bed with the spray lining, and extra tie down points and new light location.  I thought the new aluminum on the tailgate was kind of flimsy if you tap it with your finger vs an 18 right beside it.  It may mean nothing but it seemed less sturdy. 

Looking in the window the leather looked liked better quality, but again I did not get in or drive.  Just looked smoother leather than my truck (2016). 

I would like to drive one of the 19s to really see...but I'm more stuck on getting an 18 to last for a few years before I trade for the new design.

See if you can hang on one more year for a couple reasons.

A) the problems associated with new model will be identified

B) the 2019s will be discounted as 2020s will be hitting lots

C) maybe if you can swing it, go for a 2020 as some kinks, if there ended up being any, would be corrected

Yeah, I'm honestly not digging the new models.  Hell, I still don't care much for the 16-18 models.  The additional creature features are pretty sweet but I'm going to drive my 15 model until the wheels fall off, then put new ones on her.

• Like 1

The choice between a discounted '18 high trim and a '19 mid trim would find similar pricing.  The year newer and new model truck will hold more value for longer.  Will it not?  If condition etc, were similar, I'd pay more for a '14 LT than a '13 LTZ.    Same with nbs '07 over '06.  There is a wide variety within  trim levels so it is hard to generalize. When I consider LT's and SLE's they need to have additional popular packages.

I would. I’ve owned a 2015,2016,2017 and a 2019 GMC Sierra and driven countless loaners. 

The 2019 fixes all the issues I had with the previous generation having clunky drivelines, transmission clunkiness and backlash/driveline slop. 

I always love when people comment on a truck they haven’t even owned like their opinion has any merit.

I’ve had the 14, 16, 18 current. The new redesign 14 was a pos, the 16 was great and now the 18 with the 6.2 is awesome with zero issues. The 19’s are no different in the introduction of a newly redesigned truck. To say that the 19’s are a better truck is considered ridiculous, my 18 is beautiful and daily compliments versus the 19’s you’ll look at, think what is that, then look at the name plate and think WTH! IMHO, The only reason you’d want to buy a new truck is not for repositioning of what’s already there but for greater HP and Torque which is why I jumped on the 14’s. I bet the 19’s will not be able to be tuned ever especially with more added electronics and computer lockouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

The choice between a discounted '18 high trim and a '19 mid trim would find similar pricing.  The year newer and new model truck will hold more value for longer.  Will it not?  If condition etc, were similar, I'd pay more for a '14 LT than a '13 LTZ.    Same with nbs '07 over '06.  There is a wide variety within  trim levels so it is hard to generalize. When I consider LT's and SLE's they need to have additional popular packages.

If you were going to trade every 3 years or so 1 year newer model would add value at trade . If however you are going to keep it at least 5 years or more say 6 or 8 years condition of it will matter more on value than it being 1 year newer imo