Maintenance Question

Roader

Coming up on 50k miles and going to change a few things I don’t typically change out. To this point had dealership do all oil changes but going to do this one myself. 

What brand are most of using for oil, transfer case, trans, etc are you using? I usually use mobile 1 or amsoil in my cars. First time changing it out in a truck and looking for recommendations from those who have been working on trucks. Thanks

Oil used is either Mobil 1  0W-20 Dexos or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20 Dexos.   I use one if the other is not available at my local Wally World. Oil filter wise I was running a Mobile 1 filter exclusively until my truck had the #7 AFM lifter failure.  Dealership repaired truck and changed the oil using an E Core AC filter.  Went ahead and drove for 500 miles and swapped it out with new oil and filter.  One thing I noticed was that idling the oil pressure was lower than with the AC filter.

Went on eBay and purchased a dozen of the normal PF63 AC oil filters which came on new trucks from factory.

To me Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic is fine for other fluids since both are readily available locally at Wally World.  Priced reasonably too.

8 hours ago, Roader said:

Coming up on 50k miles and going to change a few things I don’t typically change out. To this point had dealership do all oil changes but going to do this one myself. 

What brand are most of using for oil, transfer case, trans, etc are you using? I usually use mobile 1 or amsoil in my cars. First time changing it out in a truck and looking for recommendations from those who have been working on trucks. Thanks

Can't go wrong with either one.  Are you an AMSOIL Preferred Customer?  That is the way to go to get AMSOIL products at wholesale prices and free shipping on all orders over $100.

1 hour ago, Black02Silverado said:

Can't go wrong with either one.  Are you an AMSOIL Preferred Customer?  That is the way to go to get AMSOIL products at wholesale prices and free shipping on all orders over $100.

I use amsoil signatire series in my truck only. My order of 9 qts with filter comes out to like 102.  I always get 1 extra just because 

I vote amsoil

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 9:36 AM, Lgetz said:

Oil used is either Mobil 1  0W-20 Dexos or Quaker State Ultimate Durability 0W-20 Dexos.   I use one if the other is not available at my local Wally World. Oil filter wise I was running a Mobile 1 filter exclusively until my truck had the #7 AFM lifter failure.  Dealership repaired truck and changed the oil using an E Core AC filter.  Went ahead and drove for 500 miles and swapped it out with new oil and filter.  One thing I noticed was that idling the oil pressure was lower than with the AC filter.

Went on eBay and purchased a dozen of the normal PF63 AC oil filters which came on new trucks from factory.

To me Mobil 1 or Valvoline synthetic is fine for other fluids since both are readily available locally at Wally World.  Priced reasonably too.

For my first change with new (used) truck, do folks use PF63E or F?  See both advertised.

Bob

6 minutes ago, AE1M said:

For my first change with new (used) truck, do folks use PF63E or F?  See both advertised.

Bob

Hi Bob I bought a dozen of these filters off ebay for about $45 delivered.  Made in USA too.:thumbs:

Screenshot_20180925-175643~2.png

Want to avoid the PF63E as that is the plastic E-Core filter.  Looking at eBay noticed only a single seller has 1 of the non E-Core PF63 oil filters.  Believe the PF63F is the model number for a dozen case pack.  Again don't see any non E-Core case packs available.  The non E-Core will be numbered 89017525 as pictured in my previous post.

Guess I will try some after-markets, maybe the Mobil-1 or Bosch.

Will dealers install the E-Core filter?   If so, I can’t imagine it is bad as Chevy wouldnt risk the bad publicity or risk replacing engines really.