hagfan72

2006 vs 2011...trading up worth it?

I currently have a 2006 Sierra 2500HD auto with 132,000 miles. I am thinking of trading it in on a 2011 Silverado 2500HD auto with 160,000 miles. Both have the 6.0L gasser engine.  My question is: will I notice the difference in HP and is the 6spd transmission much nicer than my 4spd? I currently tow a ~6500lb bumper pull camper. I'd be trading a paid-off truck and taking on about a $6,000 loan.

Any advice is appreciated

Yes you will notice the difference. It may not be as drastic as going from gas to diesel, but from Gen III to IV should be a noticeable improvement, especially when coupled to the 6L90. Also, the '11 has the updated frame, axles and suspension, which feels a bit tighter and is definitely stiffer than the older platform. I had a 99 2500, and later a '03 2500HD, so jumping to my current '12 was a great improvement.

can I expect the same fuel economy, (11-13 unloaded, 7-9 towing) or will there be an improvement?

Depending on your gears (the '11+ 6.0 2500s could get either 3.73s or 4.10s), your mileage should most certainly be better, at least unloaded. Mine is a CCSB with 4.10s (as confirmed by the GT8 rpo code), at I regularly see 15-15.5 unloaded, and was 8-9 with a 10k lb 5th wheel camper most recently. My brother had a '11 ECSB with 3.73s and he was around the 17 mark unloaded.

Edited by carkhz316

As someone who has owned them all, I went back to a 2007 2500HD for one reason only- build quality in my opinion is the best in the GMT800 platform. Yeah they upgraded this and upgraded that, but in my opinion the quality the issues and the cost to service is way to great for my purposes. I sold my trucks and went back to a GMT800 and no plan to buy again. Less nanny state tracking. Easy to DIY fix most items.

Why go to a slight improvement with other issues and owe money? I hate the interior of the 2008-2015. Pure junk!

I like 2015 and later but not all the wizardry and high cost. That’s just me and my opinion, but the GMT800 is the best to grow old with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have towed with both, My 2002 and 2007.5's and up. The 6l90e makes a huge difference while towing. The ability of the trans to keep the engine in its power band longer when towing heavy with the 6.0 is quite important. The grade braking is enough to make me hate towing with my 2002. But as dallas said, The build quality of the older trucks is second to none. You couldn't put me in a 2007.5 up truck for a personal. Ill keep throwing parts and time into my 02.

• Like 1

Sorry to side track: Probably no way to put a 6L80e in a GMT800? That would be my only wanted upgrade

43 minutes ago, carnutdallas said:

Sorry to side track: Probably no way to put a 6L80e in a GMT800? That would be my only wanted upgrade emoji854.png

it is possible and has been done, just very expensive and difficult.