Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
ChevyRoofer

LS Engine swap into GM 2014-2018 1500 Truck

Recommended Posts

I'm looking to see if anyone knows of anyone who has swapped a LS engine into a GM 2014-2018 1500 series truck.  Most likely with the 6L80.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Looking to do this with a LS3, more specifically one from TSP.

 

Been coming up with a new daily driver truck build for myself in the next 1-2 years.

Little info for anyone who is interested/wants to suggest anything.

 

Engine/Trans:

LS3 from TSP w/ 550-600 HP @ Crank 

102mm throttle body

ARH LT Headers

Electric cutout for exhaust dump

CAI Intake

TSP, Borla, or Corsa Catback exhaust

Custom Driveshaft?

Circle D Torque converter

6L80 with 4.10/4.56 Yukon Gears

 

Build truck:

2016 GMC Sierra SLT/Denali 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 or 2WD

BDS 4" Suspension lift

King 2.5 Suspension Front & Back w/ reservoirs

Cognito/Camberg UCAs

Metal Front & Rear Bumper

Intellihaul Tow Mirrors

McGaughy's Traction Bars

20" Method Wheels wrapped in 35x11.5x20 Nittos

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1st suggestion would be rethink your plan & go w/ a diesel for what it seems you're after.....always going to be overbuilt from every nut & bolt to the bushings/lugs/A-arms/hubs/tranny you name it. 

 

If you want to build a gasser & have it lifted definitely think it makes sense to address A-arms/shocks(obvi)/gears(many people don't & wish they did from the get-go) & have the tranny built by someone like RPM to handle the increased power & more aggressive shifting/torque mgmt settings. Not sure if you consider the trans/torque converter 1 & the same here - but you HAVE To replace the stall/converter, they're junk, & you'd wanna match it to whatever your plans are for cam etc. Would also pick up performance besides being more robust.

 

That being said - I wouldn't even consider a motor swap - makes no sense, the 6.2 in the current trucks is a DI motor & a superior design once you yank all the DOD/AFM crap out. Adding cam/headers/intake/ported TB + tune to an otherwise stock 6.2 is gonna put you close to your goal of 550 HP @ the crank to begin with.

 

Or - an even better suggestion - slap a blower on the 6.2 or 5.3 ecotec & be done w/ it. Still need to swap out the cam/lifters/valve springs/plugs/wires etc. but don't need to go crazy. Could run it w/ stock exhaust/manifolds if ya wanted & still exceed your goal & STILL be into it for less than a motor swap.

 

Yes I understand you could sell the 6.2 or 5.3 for $$$ too but its alot of hassle & labor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, crushNchowda said:

My 1st suggestion would be rethink your plan & go w/ a diesel for what it seems you're after.....always going to be overbuilt from every nut & bolt to the bushings/lugs/A-arms/hubs/tranny you name it. 

 

If you want to build a gasser & have it lifted definitely think it makes sense to address A-arms/shocks(obvi)/gears(many people don't & wish they did from the get-go) & have the tranny built by someone like RPM to handle the increased power & more aggressive shifting/torque mgmt settings. Not sure if you consider the trans/torque converter 1 & the same here - but you HAVE To replace the stall/converter, they're junk, & you'd wanna match it to whatever your plans are for cam etc. Would also pick up performance besides being more robust.

 

That being said - I wouldn't even consider a motor swap - makes no sense, the 6.2 in the current trucks is a DI motor & a superior design once you yank all the DOD/AFM crap out. Adding cam/headers/intake/ported TB + tune to an otherwise stock 6.2 is gonna put you close to your goal of 550 HP @ the crank to begin with.

 

Or - an even better suggestion - slap a blower on the 6.2 or 5.3 ecotec & be done w/ it. Still need to swap out the cam/lifters/valve springs/plugs/wires etc. but don't need to go crazy. Could run it w/ stock exhaust/manifolds if ya wanted & still exceed your goal & STILL be into it for less than a motor swap.

 

Yes I understand you could sell the 6.2 or 5.3 for $$$ too but its alot of hassle & labor.

Not interested in the diesel.  I've thought about doing all of this in a 2500/6.0 gasser, but I wouldn't get the HP I want for a daily driver.

Def going to be replacing the torque converter as a new engine would require a certain stall.

 

Not looking for forced induction either since it'll be a daily driver, def will be naturally aspirated.  Reason I like the LS engines over the LT engines is the fact that the LT engines are DI and the LS are not.  I know everyone loves the DI setup, but I personally do not.  I am looking for long-term as well, and I bet the LT engine will require more upkeep than a LS engine.

 

Keeping the stock LT engine is a good backup plan though, and I guess just upgrading the internals till I got to 500-550 HP.  New cam, lifters and valve springs and I bet that would about put me there with the common bolt-ons.  But if no one else has done this, it's just more incentive for me to want to do this project.  I'd rather build a $50k truck than buy one.  Took me a couple years to learn that, and I'm doing this in place of building a car.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Option 3.  Build up a really clean 2012-2013 truck.  Most all of your hard part mods would fit on a GMT-900 too (wheels/tires/suspension). 

 

Biggest hassle would be electronics, and getting a previous generation engine to work with the factory electronics/the LS ECM working with the K2 electronics.     

Edited by newdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bin there done similar. What I learned. Blower, small pulley 12 lb boost, E-85. I would look for a little older truck with the 6.2 pre cylinder deactivation. Second option older clean diesel if possible. My old 92 Chevy could easily be a daily driver and could and has been tuned to 600 HP. I stay around 500 HP on pump gas. Swapping out different engines in that new of truck, wiring etc seems daunting. Unlimited funds, go for it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

l86 > ls3

 

Swapping in an ls3 to a gen V platform is pretty much in the top 5 worst ideas I’ve ever heard on the forum.

 

Not only is it nearly inpossible, it’s a downgrade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The LS3 isn't compatible with the moden trucks.  Find a 6.2 and swap it in.  I'd love to see someone actually build a 6.2 in one of these trucks.  They also respond amazingly well to forced induction.  I'm currently searching for a 6.2 to build up and swap in my truck.  I'd definitely stay away from a diesel.  Expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive to fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen people get plenty of power out of the 5.3.  Probably cheaper to do to..  AFM delete/cam/headers/intake and tune.

 

Don't even have to remove the engine to do all of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a gen V 6.2 & 5.3 engine sierra/silverado 2014+ group on Fbook. I check in from time to time.....definitely not common up in new england, but I see a WHOLE LOT of guys showing off their blown or turbocharged 6.2 & 5.3 trucks, all on stock tranny (not converters usually), making crazy power reliably. Nearly identical version of the ecotec 6.2 makes 460bhp in the vette. Intake/Headers/cam/tune will put you @ 550bhp if you go big on the cam & if you want to touch the heads w/ a port/polish mill job or swap for some aftermarket higher flowing ones ABSOLUTELY will meet/exceed your goals - however a stalled/cammed/geared/lifted truck is not exactly what I'd consider "DD" friendly.....a supercharger on the other hand? Like I & others have said - you could EASILY exceed your goals by doing NOTHING other than bolting on a supercharger & getting a tune. I mean NOTHING. You can leave the stock AFM crap in place still exceed that goal & just twiddle your thumbs until you start dropping lifters & grenade the motor (would happen stock or modded makes no diff) - or you do a DOD delete cam swap @ same time. You wouldn't have to touch the headers/exhaust/intake nothing else & make that power, so no idea why you'd wanna reverse engineer a truck in order to accommodate a phased out old tech LS3 motor?

 

 

FWIW - I'd go w/ a crate cammed LS3 if I was building out a restomod K blazer/C10 or a Bronco etc. You could do something like that w/ all the best technology best suspension custom paint job & decent interior essentially custom new from the ground up for less $$$ than a new loaded up 1/2 ton. And since you (and many of us out there) will mod our trucks anyhow, then wtf does a "new" truck matter when the warranty will be null & void? Food for thought.

 

 

LASTLY - if you ARE dead set on an old gen dated old tech Chevy crate motor - FTW go big or go home man - you have a huge engine bay & a 10k payload capacity 6000 lb 1/2 ton right? Big block baby. zz572 or zz720 or 454 etc.

 

Am I missing something here? Many guys w/ vettes would KILL to be able to stuff such a big heavy N/A bullet proof motor in their rides - too big & makes em too nose heavy.

 

IMO - that would be a badass build worth doing - not an LS3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Option 3.  Build up a really clean 2012-2013 truck.  Most all of your hard part mods would fit on a GMT-900 too (wheels/tires/suspension). 
 
Biggest hassle would be electronics, and getting a previous generation engine to work with the factory electronics/the LS ECM working with the K2 electronics.     


That’s where Texas Speed comes in. They can pair the ECM/TCM to the new motor (comes with the engine install). I’m talking about buying one of their custom built LS motors that they have hand built.

Not to knock anyone else here, but I prefer the updated GM 2014-2018 looks. Even more so then the 2019s, which is why I chose this 2016 model.

But it sounds like I need to talk to TSP to see whether it’s even possible. Their website says it would work.

Back up plan looks to be what everyone here is excited in seeing, a fully built L86. I wouldn’t put a supercharger in it, I’d fully build the engine instead.

And also looks like I confirmed it would be one of a kind to get a LS engine in a Gen 5 truck haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Edited by ChevyRoofer
Double post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about an over the counter 525 hp LS based 6.2 from GM, with a warranty?  It’s just a stock ls3 with a GM cam. 

Edited by SILVER SLED

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SILVER SLED said:

How about an over the counter 525 hp LS based 6.2 from GM, with a warranty?  It’s just a stock ls3 with a GM cam. 

 

11 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

l86 > ls3

 

Swapping in an ls3 to a gen V platform is pretty much in the top 5 worst ideas I’ve ever heard on the forum.

 

Not only is it nearly inpossible, it’s a downgrade.

 

4 hours ago, crushNchowda said:

There's a gen V 6.2 & 5.3 engine sierra/silverado 2014+ group on Fbook. I check in from time to time.....definitely not common up in new england, but I see a WHOLE LOT of guys showing off their blown or turbocharged 6.2 & 5.3 trucks, all on stock tranny (not converters usually), making crazy power reliably. Nearly identical version of the ecotec 6.2 makes 460bhp in the vette. Intake/Headers/cam/tune will put you @ 550bhp if you go big on the cam & if you want to touch the heads w/ a port/polish mill job or swap for some aftermarket higher flowing ones ABSOLUTELY will meet/exceed your goals - however a stalled/cammed/geared/lifted truck is not exactly what I'd consider "DD" friendly.....a supercharger on the other hand? Like I & others have said - you could EASILY exceed your goals by doing NOTHING other than bolting on a supercharger & getting a tune. I mean NOTHING. You can leave the stock AFM crap in place still exceed that goal & just twiddle your thumbs until you start dropping lifters & grenade the motor (would happen stock or modded makes no diff) - or you do a DOD delete cam swap @ same time. You wouldn't have to touch the headers/exhaust/intake nothing else & make that power, so no idea why you'd wanna reverse engineer a truck in order to accommodate a phased out old tech LS3 motor?

 

 

FWIW - I'd go w/ a crate cammed LS3 if I was building out a restomod K blazer/C10 or a Bronco etc. You could do something like that w/ all the best technology best suspension custom paint job & decent interior essentially custom new from the ground up for less $$$ than a new loaded up 1/2 ton. And since you (and many of us out there) will mod our trucks anyhow, then wtf does a "new" truck matter when the warranty will be null & void? Food for thought.

 

 

LASTLY - if you ARE dead set on an old gen dated old tech Chevy crate motor - FTW go big or go home man - you have a huge engine bay & a 10k payload capacity 6000 lb 1/2 ton right? Big block baby. zz572 or zz720 or 454 etc.

 

Am I missing something here? Many guys w/ vettes would KILL to be able to stuff such a big heavy N/A bullet proof motor in their rides - too big & makes em too nose heavy.

 

IMO - that would be a badass build worth doing - not an LS3

 

Hard to tell who is just speculating and who knows whether this would work.

 

Here's the specific engine I'm looking at.

 

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-3582-tsp-376-cid-590-hp-ls3-turn-key-package.aspx

 

The 525/LS does sound nice though.  Half the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ChevyRoofer said:

 

 

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-3582-tsp-376-cid-590-hp-ls3-turn-key-package.aspx

 

The 525/LS does sound nice though.  Half the price.

Even simpler is an almost plug and play 535hp GM lt1.  It’s just a stock lt1 with GMs hot cam.  Drop it in and use all current connections and existing ecm, just have it tuned.  I know you said you didn’t want direct injection, but....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.