I bought a 2015 Silverado 1500 lt double cab 5.3L V8 4x4 with 12,000 miles on it a couple months ago. It now has just under 20k miles and when I went to check the oil there where metal shavings on the end of the dipstick. Concerningly big metal shavings. I brought it in to my local GM dealer and they told me that it's from the dipstick scraping on the dipstick tube. They didnt run any tests on it they just drained it and looked in the oil itself and didnt find any shavings (so they said). Which sounded a little shady to me so I started looking to see if anyone else had this problem and I found a few cases similar but not enough for me to come to a solid conclusion. The pickup runs great and I dont hear or feel any problems but any insight would be greatly appreciated. I thought about sending a sample to be tested myself but I dont know of any good company's near me that do it. Any recommendations on that would great too. Thanks

15379262506118068568963362833553.jpg

Edited by Chris.Green

If you have a CAT dealer close or near you they do oil samples all the time. You buy the bottle, usually around $12-20, take the sample then mail it in. I use this service when I need one done. I know CAT requires oil samples every 500 hours or so for warranty purposes. They do millions of samples per year and are pretty in depth with the results they give you.

Another option is Blackstone I believe. I’ve never used them but haven’t heard anything bad about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Opening up the oil filter is a good start.  Since the oil is in the pan, it has to go through the filter before it makes it's way through the rest of the engine.

Oil Analyzers is a good place to send a sample.  As is Dysonanalysis

• Like 1

8 hours ago, catpartsman said:

If you have a CAT dealer close or near you they do oil samples all the time. You buy the bottle, usually around $12-20, take the sample then mail it in. I use this service when I need one done. I know CAT requires oil samples every 500 hours or so for warranty purposes. They do millions of samples per year and are pretty in depth with the results they give you.

Another option is Blackstone I believe. I’ve never used them but haven’t heard anything bad about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Black02Silverado said:

Opening up the oil filter is a good start.  Since the oil is in the pan, it has to go through the filter before it makes it's way through the rest of the engine.

Oil Analyzers is a good place to send a sample.  As is Dysonanalysis

Thanks guys, I ordered an analysis so I'm just waiting on it to get here. Then I'll change oil and send in a sample. I'll post a pic of the filter if there are any goodies in there when I change it. Appreciate the help.

Not sure if your oil analysis will reveal anything since your dealer just changed the oil (I assume since you mentioned they drained it).  If the sample comes back clean I would send another sample in after about 3K miles.

The dealer's explanation for the shavings is total BS.  I have been a certified mechanic for over 40 years and that BS really tops everything.  At least you are still under your powertrain warranty.

Keep us posted.

• 7 months later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:47 PM, Chris.Green said:

I bought a 2015 Silverado 1500 lt double cab 5.3L V8 4x4 with 12,000 miles on it a couple months ago. It now has just under 20k miles and when I went to check the oil there where metal shavings on the end of the dipstick. Concerningly big metal shavings. I brought it in to my local GM dealer and they told me that it's from the dipstick scraping on the dipstick tube. They didnt run any tests on it they just drained it and looked in the oil itself and didnt find any shavings (so they said). Which sounded a little shady to me so I started looking to see if anyone else had this problem and I found a few cases similar but not enough for me to come to a solid conclusion. The pickup runs great and I dont hear or feel any problems but any insight would be greatly appreciated. I thought about sending a sample to be tested myself but I dont know of any good company's near me that do it. Any recommendations on that would great too. Thanks

15379262506118068568963362833553.jpg

so what was the conclusion?

i am having the same issue with my 15 denali ( 6.2L )

I sent in an oil sample test to CAT and AMSOIL and they both came back clean. The pickup now has 30k miles on it and runs great. Haven't heard or felt any problems. I just decided that I'm going to take it in to my GM dealer once a year and ask them to look at the same problem. Hoping that they will give me a different answer. I'm bringing it in again this month. But my power train warranty is past the 3 year mark now so fingers crossed.

I don't understand. The dealer gives you a B.S. answer and you want to go back?

Some of your time and effort checking things out yourself makes the most sense to me.

I would do more oil analysis at the very least before trusting a dealer or a shop.

:)

5 hours ago, Chris.Green said:

I sent in an oil sample test to CAT and AMSOIL and they both came back clean. The pickup now has 30k miles on it and runs great. Haven't heard or felt any problems. I just decided that I'm going to take it in to my GM dealer once a year and ask them to look at the same problem. Hoping that they will give me a different answer. I'm bringing it in again this month. But my power train warranty is past the 3 year mark now so fingers crossed.

dealer told me that it is normal as well... but i dont buy that..my fathers 15 silverado also a 6.2 does not have any shaving indications pulling the dipstick.

he has 70k miles..

i have 30k miles and noticed it a 26k..

i am taking it this weekend because they said they would look into it 3k miles from then.

if they wont replace my engine under warranty. i am getting rid of it...

Most likely oil filter thread shavings. If that is the case then oil analysis would show nothing. If you had a stack of 100 boxes of brand new oil filters and opened them all you would probably find at least one with some metal shavings left inside from the thread cutting tooling. typically it is hanging from the newly cut threads and highly visible if you are looking. To bad that most oil change monkeys only have eyes for the time clock not what they are doing.  

I will say that If this were my truck I would probably trade it in tomorrow as this would be the perfect EXCUSE to trade LOL.  

Where are the shavings coming from?.. Nobody really knows..  If it runs good don't worry about it.. If you can't let it go then drain the oil into a container and save it.. Start the engine and wait for it to lock up.. Dump oil back in.. Tow to dealer and get the new engine you want..