2015 GMC Sierra Caught Fire

Has anyone else had their truck catch on fire in their driveway?  Nothing was left plugged in (phone, tablet, etc).  The fire department even wrote in their report the fire originated in the consule!  GM did their inspection and said it was an external source which caused the fire.  The 3rd party inspector even went as far to say the sun must have come in thru the tinted windows, hit the side mirror and somehow started it.  (think magnifying glass).  Considering the truck was parked east (around 4pm) of  30 foot tall cedar trees and facing south....that is impossible.  The truck sat in the drive all night, my husband ran a couple of errands and parked it by 4pm.  At 6pm he went to get something out of it and this is what we found.  Any ideas on what to do now?  

2018-08-28 18.40.41.jpg

Edited by Mindy73169

Thats pretty crazy. It doesn't make sense to me that the tinted windows would have caused it since they are supposed to limit light transmission not enhance it. I suppose it could be just a crazy set of circumstances with light bouncing around and getting focused but still sounds insane. I would look at a junkyard and try and find a wrecked chevy with seats you can steal. I take it insurance isn't paying? You could also hire your own inspector (assuming the 3rd party was insurance hired) but I don't know what the outcome would be.

The cupholder was also empty? I saw someone else who had a fire started by light bouncing through a water bottle in the center cupholder (different vehicle).

Hopefully your insurance will cover all repairs as this obviously wasn't your fault.

34 minutes ago, Penguin VII said:

Thats pretty crazy. It doesn't make sense to me that the tinted windows would have caused it since they are supposed to limit light transmission not enhance it. I suppose it could be just a crazy set of circumstances with light bouncing around and getting focused but still sounds insane. I would look at a junkyard and try and find a wrecked chevy with seats you can steal. I take it insurance isn't paying? You could also hire your own inspector (assuming the 3rd party was insurance hired) but I don't know what the outcome would be.

Yes, it's crazy.  Insurance is looking it over now.  I will look into hiring my own inspector since the 3rd party was hired by GM.  Funny thing.....he had to be shown where the fire started during his inspection!  Then he came up with the sun bouncing around.....crazy theory.

33 minutes ago, Mindy73169 said:

That's to bad.  From where my truck was parked and the timing of the fire....the mirror theory is impossible.  

Don't go by the time of day it may have started hours before and just simmered before it took off. 

I understand how it seems impossible and all, but that said how else would it have started? There is no electrical in that area, nothing that is high friction, and unless you had a spark or ember from somewhere else (smoking or maybe a vape or something shorting) how else would it have gone up? Not saying its your fault obviously, but mirrors does seem like a strong possibility, crazy but the only thing that makes sense.

• Like 1

I agree with Penguin. There is no electrical components where the fire originated. The front right corner of the console and and front left edge of the passenger seat cushion was where that fire appears to have originated.

Someone leave a Samsung Galaxy between the seat coushion over there?

• Haha 2

It started at the wires that lead from the USB ports inside the upper console.  USB ports are inside the console, the wires are on the other side and lead down under the cup holders.  I have pics of them but cannot upload since its to big. 

I'm wondering how GM could say it was due to an external source?  Nothing was in the truck except AIR.  Your guess is as good as mine.  Maybe gremlins live in the truck.....