Transmission 8speed and Dealers BS

So I brought my truck in to address the shifting on the 8spd. It’s a 18 Silverado with the 5.3

So i tell them it just acts up clunky shifting bucking holding gears. The service manager takes the truck has it looked at. Comes back with a piece of paper a GM bulletin. The reason for the trans issues are the K&N air filter I have installed he said. Just thought you would get a kick out of this guys. 474108211287624964c589d54060cdcf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird. I have an AFE intake in mine, not sure if it is an oiled filter or dry, if it is oiled it is very lightly oiled. The first tech thought the issues were related to the intake and suggested I install the factory one. I said it had nothing to do with the intake and everything to do with the defective 8L90e and software, gave them a TSB# for delayed engagement and shudder, they replaced the trans with little hassle after that. Still not impressed to receive a Reman unit under warranty for a new truck. Nothing against reman parts, but with 20,000 miles on it you would appreciate a new unit for piece of mind if you keep your truck longer than 5 years. 

Well for one thing the GM engineer that wrote that TSB is a young pup that has no idea what a real oil bath air filter is. The K & N filter is a media type filter with oil wetting to adhere dust particles. A true oil bath filter routes the air 180 degrees over a reservoir of oil (about a quart of so of non-detergent oil) before the air passes thru a coarse mesh media on it's way to the carburetor. The heavier particles of dirt were caught in the oil reservoir as vacuum drew them straight down into the oil, the lighter particles of dirt were caught in the oil wetted mesh media. Non-detergent oil was preferred as it wouldn't hold the dirt in suspension, it would settle into the bottom of the filter housing. Pre-MAF and other intake sensor equipped GM engines used AC air filters that had some kind of light oil wetting on them, I always thought that was more so you had to replace the filter rather than tapping the dirt out.

• Like 1

And that’s what I’m gonna do I know it’s not the K&N it did it before I put the K&N on. I’m gonna put the stock filter back on drive it for a while. He said it re learns every 500 miles or something. Ya know they have no real answer. First 5000 then every 500. Stop making excuses for a problem. All they wanna do is pass the buck which is pretty common not just GM. I made the APT before work so I really couldn’t hang and argue with them.

That’s all you gotta play there game I guess they are not ones for thinking (outside) the box. I had called the dealer couple years ago about adding a full center console in. I was told by a few diff techs if it didn’t roll down the assembly line with it it can’t be done. They are nothing but parts changers who read from a script honestly. All he did was hand me the piece of paper and said have a nice day. No thinking no let’s look into let’s do this or that no hint programmed to do one thing. The last thing he said was please leave me a good survey. I told him to keep your numbers up I would not send one my way lol.

Get some spray MAF cleaner at the parts store and clean the MAF real good then see if it improved any

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

That’s the thing I looked at the MAF that night it’s brand new lol. The truck has under 7k on it. I wiped it with a white rag no oil nothing. Truck runs the same as it did with stock so. But I will entertain them and re schedule.
I mean yea I get there point you dump a whole bottle of K&N oil in the filter ok fine. But every case is diff. They should have seen hey it’s crystal clear in here. Let’s keep looking