New 10 Speed and 8 Speed

JacobC1983

On 9/27/2018 at 9:44 AM, L86 All Terrain said:

The 8L90e is a nice trans when it works. My K2 SLT is on its second one at 20,000 miles. I don't think the problems GM have is the trans itself, but the hardware/software controlling it. Sounds like they still have some learning disabilities in this regard for the T1 trucks. That's unfortunate, I may have to finally try another brand.

There are just as many transmission shift complaints with Ford's transmissions and the 2019 Ram's 8-speed. Ford especially. 

9 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

There are just as many transmission shift complaints with Ford's transmissions and the 2019 Ram's 8-speed. Ford especially. 

Not good news for GM, considering the 10 speed is a collaboration with Ford :(

Complaints from all brands.. will never end. More and more gears, worse driveability ... all in the name to save 1 mpg. Will only get worse when the 12 speed and then 14 speed come out. 

I'll take an ol school T400 anyday... 

Not good news for GM, considering the 10 speed is a collaboration with Ford [emoji20]

The GM calibration and controller are completely different so that is not necessarily true. Most of these complaints are calibration issues rather then design flaws.

3 minutes ago, lt1z said:

The GM calibration and controller are completely different so that is not necessarily true. Most of these complaints are calibration issues rather then design flaws.

I disagree with your statement above. Collaboration is Collaboration. :nonod:  

Minor differences may be fact but the two companies have clearly worked together:

https://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/15/ford-gm-to-collaborate-on-9-and-10-speed-transmissions/

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/01/details-on-upcoming-ford-and-gm-10-speed-transmission-reaches-the-internets/

https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/10-things-to-know-about-the-new-fordgm-10-speed-automatic-transmission#1

You are free to disagree but the fact is the controller hardware and calibrations are different ( as the should be) because they are used behind different engines and in front of different axles. The collaborated on the design of the transmission itself ( shared cost of development).

I have tuned countless 6L80/90, 8L80/90 and 10L90 transmissions so I am familiar with what is done in the factory calibration as well as what is done to improve them from there. The trucks usually leave more to be desired then the cars.

So a calibration issue on a Ford 10R80 behind an ecoboost would not be related to a calibration issue with a 10L80 behind a 6.2 since there was no collaboration on calibration of the individual products from each company.

FWIW you can even take two GM vehicles with the exact same drivetrain and each division will have its own calibration. For example.

2016 Yukon Denali 6.2/8spd 3.23 22” wheel

2016 Escalade 6.2/8spd 3.23 22” wheel

Not the same even though everything that matters in the programming is exactly the same parts wise.

12 hours ago, HondaHawkGT said:

Yep. I'm on f150forum and there are a lot of complaints about how clunky the new 10 speed is.

3 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

bYep. I'm on f150forum and there are a lot of complaints about how clunky the new 10 speed is.

5 hours ago, lt1z said:

Which makes me believe the Collaboration between GM and Ford was more than just "calibration and controller are completely different" as mentioned by ltz1z 

Very difficult on the Chevrolet truck build website to determine which models can be bought with the 8-speed and 10-speed transmissions and engines. It appears that neither are available with the LT trim truck from the configuration tool. Would have expected the configurator to be work by now with current data.

1 hour ago, Wintersun said:

Very difficult on the Chevrolet truck build website to determine which models can be bought with the 8-speed and 10-speed transmissions and engines. It appears that neither are available with the LT trim truck from the configuration tool. Would have expected the configurator to be work by now with current data.

Its pretty cut and dry from GM.  WT/Custom/Custom TB get the 6 speed with either the 4.3 LV3 or the 5.3 L82.  LT/RST/LT TB get the 8 speed with the 2.7T, the L84 5.3, and get the 10 speed with the 3.0 diesel.  LTZ/High Country get the 8 speed with the 5.3 L84 and the 10 speed with the 3.0 diesel and the 6.2 L87. 

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/2019-silverado.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2018/jun/0628-silverado-pricing.html