2019 Trail Boss...Why no 6.2L

Jaywroe

19 hours ago, f8l vnm said:

Ford offers ALL engines in every trim. Just sayin'..

But you know GM plays the hierarchy rules with engines , stupid game  IMO .. why not just give us the damn option . 

That's not true at all.   That 450 HP Raptor engine is in the Raptor and the 2019 Limited ONLY!   You have to spend $70k PLUS if you want that one.   GM isn't doing anything different, do your homework on that.   If people want it bad enough they will pay for it.   I agree it would be great to have the option but that's not the case.  People are financing their lives away, they know if you want it bad enough you will do it as well.  

• Like 4

Buy the GMC AT4(All Terrain) if you want the 6.2L. It is the best looking truck and package GM has made for the last 3 generations anyway :cool:. As a guy who drives both, you wont want to trade your Sierra for another Bowtie once you make the switch. GM is only doing this to convince more people to make the switch. They said before releasing the T1's that there would be more differences than ever between the Silverado and Sierra. I feel it is fair, as historically the Denali GMC trim usually got the big motor before the Chevrolet products. The 6.2L was in Caddy's and Denali's only from 07-08. Halfway through 08 you could spec one in an LTZ Tahoe, but not an SLT Yukon. When MY 09 came, you could spec one in your LTZ Silvy or SLT Sierra. I would imagine by MY2021 they will have the 6.2L option in a LTZ only Trail Boss. We will have to wait and see. 

14 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Buy the GMC AT4(All Terrain) if you want the 6.2L. It is the best looking truck and package GM has made for the last 3 generations anyway :cool:. As a guy who drives both, you wont want to trade your Sierra for another Bowtie once you make the switch. GM is only doing this to convince more people to make the switch. They said before releasing the T1's that there would be more differences than ever between the Silverado and Sierra. I feel it is fair, as historically the Denali GMC trim usually got the big motor before the Chevrolet products. The 6.2L was in Caddy's and Denali's only from 07-08. Halfway through 08 you could spec one in an LTZ Tahoe, but not an SLT Yukon. When MY 09 came, you could spec one in your LTZ Silvy or SLT Sierra. I would imagine by MY2021 they will have the 6.2L option in a LTZ only Trail Boss. We will have to wait and see. 

I cant get passed the wierd shaped wheel wells and the badging that is built into the front fender :( 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I cant get passed the wierd shaped wheel wells and the badging that is built into the front fender :( 

Exactly, I keep building an AT4 online but keep going back to the Silverado.  Also, those wheel wells affect what size tire size you can run.  

6 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

I was torn between the AT4 and the LTZ.  The wheel wells of the GMC, the front grill and the $1000's extra for basically a lift and a tailgate I don't need made me pass.  I had to pass personally but it's a beautiful truck in general.   I really wanted the GMC to be honest and my GMC dealer wasn't wiling to negotiate as much.   I actually wish my truck had a standard tailgate handle instead of the all electronic one, call me old school I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are actually taking the truck off the pavement the bigger and heavier engine is a drawback and not an asset. But I would bet that 99% of the Trail Boss trucks never leave the pavement, as with all the Hummers.

This is what stopped me from the purchase of a LT Trail Boss. I think it's a bad move by GM as I really like the Silverado looks now. I was never a fan of the square fender design. The new Silverado is sexy now especially the front end.. ( my opinion of course ) ... Just why the only option being the anemic 5.3 I'll never understand..  TRAIL BOSS ... I just dont get it.

This is what stopped me from the purchase of a LT Trail Boss. I think it's a bad move by GM as I really like the Silverado looks now. I was never a fan of the square fender design. The new Silverado is sexy now especially the front end.. ( my opinion of course ) ... Just why the only option being the anemic 5.3 I'll never understand..  TRAIL BOSS ... I just dont get it.

I’ve owned a lot of trucks through the years, there’s a huge noticeable difference of power between the two engines. I currently own a 2018 CC Z71 Premium Package 6.2, have personally customized it with lift and much more, the 6.2 helps makes a huge difference especially when you need more power for hauling and getting yourself out of a sticky situation [emoji6]. Even though there’s a price difference, I’d look at an AT4 before ever settling for a 5.3, never settle! The 5.3 is a good motor but as you’ve mentioned, underpowered especially for being an off-road truck.

Sent from above

5.3 is not underpowered for 99% of people buying a 1500 pickup. 380 lb/ft of torque is not anemic and the truck tows small to medium size loads without difficulty. 

As has been said many times, if you are one of the few people looking at 1500 trucks, but thinking that you need more torque because you are regularly towing heavy loads, why are you not looking at a 2500 truck? 

I guess some people like hooking up a 10,000lb trailer to a 1500 truck with a 6.2, I don't. It feels wrong. The truck, especially now in 2019, is too light to tow that much. Yes "technically" it can. Okay. 

Now, if the only reason you want the 6.2 is just so the truck feels quick like a sports car, sure, I get it. 

4 minutes ago, protovack said:

Now, if the only reason you want the 6.2 is just so the truck feels quick like a sports car, sure, I get it. 

Yeah I'm kind of in that group, but one of the huge differences for me was the throttle response. I get that the 5.3's response is better than in years past, but to me it's still super sluggish, where there's a lag between push and go. 

I think if they’d open up the 10 speed to the 5.3, many people would be happier with the smaller engine. It’s power is adequate for most and it’s much more responsive than it was. With 10 gears to work with it would be even better.

Not to mention, a lot of people I’ve talked to this year have gone 6.2 just to get away from the 8 speed. I heard they made improvements to it for ‘19, and from my limited experience it was pretty good...but some aren’t sold on it yet.

Yep, avoiding the 8 speed is a great reason to go with the 6.2

I agree, mate the 10 speed to the 5.3 and I think people wouldn't have such an issue with it. 

I have the 5.3 with the old 6 speed...its rock solid. 

As far as throttle response, there is a thread from a long time ago talking about flex in the gas pedal bracket on K2 trucks. I installed a 1cm deep piece of wooden dowel behind the gas pedal bracket and it solved the issue completely for me. 

I really do wonder how much of the better throttle response seen on the 6.2 is due to inherent engine properties, vs transmission and other little mechanical things like that.