In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

New member. Please let me know there's an error with my post. I've found two security issues on my 2019 Silverado and wondering if I'm missing something before contacting Chevy. 1. I can start the truck as usual with keys in the vehicle, then place the keys outside the vehicle and drive away, miles away, turn off the engine and restart the truck, repeatedly. It only presents a problem when you turn the truck off AND open the door. Then, it will not restart. 2. If you find the truck unlocked and you do not have your key fob, there is no way to lock the truck. You can press the lock button but it immediately unlocks.  Any help is appreciated. 

Welcome!!

#2 not being able to lock the door without the fob is as designed. It’s a proximity feature so you don’t lock the keys in the car. 

As for it starting without the fob, are you sue the second fob isn’t in the truck somewhere? BMW has a valet feature that will allow a restart without the fob as long as it’s within 30 seconds of turning it off. 

Edited by Cmillerjr

Sounds like #1 would be an issue since you have to open the door to get in, unless you have a window open or the glass is broke and then crawl in.

#2 doesn't make sense.  It should lock, but not if the FOB is in the vehicle. 

Also, how far from home were you when you had to call someone to get you when you turned the truck off and opened the door to see if it would restart and it didn't?

Of course you need to have the fob to start the truck. But once started...every car I have driven with push button start will let you drive off without the fob.  It should beep at you in the first few seconds letting you know. 

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Szilla
      I have a 2012 Suburban, owned since new.  Yesterday the key fob / remote / keyless transmitter stopped working.  It stopped, then worked a couple times to unlock, then quit completely.  I assumed it was a bad battery (10+ years old), so I replaced it with a new battery, still didn't work.  I have the second remote that's only been used a couple times when the keys were "lost", and it doesn't work either.  No response from any buttons.  I checked the batteries in both, and both batteries are at 3.3 volts.  I pulled the DSM fuse for 5 minutes and then disconnected the vehicle battery for 5 minutes, no change.  I have tried holding the remote right next to where (I think) the RCDLR is in the left-rear pillar, still no response.  The TPMS system works fine, reading all 4 tires correctly with no errors.  I hooked up my ODB2 scanner, and it doesn't show any codes.

Do I have two dead remotes?  Or has the RCDLR partially stopped working?  I called the dealer, all they said was "buy a new remote, your two remotes have died".  I asked, why would an unused 10 year old remote die?  No answer, just come in and buy one.  I have no faith in my dealership's service department based on previous repairs unfortunately, so I thought I'd ask here.  My local locksmith will attempt a re-sync for $50, but they said if they're both not working it's not that.  Unfortunately this year model won't allow the user to add or reprogram a remote.

Thanks in advance for any ideas of what to try, or what might be the issue.
    • By rviscuso
      2017 Silverado LT 5.3 4X4 6speed transmission 51,000 miles

When I first bought the truck the transmission suffered from severe bucking or shudder under light load. GM calls it chuggle. The cause was "intermittent tcc delamination causing scoring on fluid pump". They replaced the torque converter, cover housing and pump cover along with a flush. This was at 10,000 miles. That seemed to solve the chugging problem.

For the last year or so I have noticed that the torque converter unlocks and locks frequently at freeway speeds. When it locks, following an unlock, there is a noticeable lurching forward. This is not neck snapping but is definitely noticeable. This lurching motion also occurs when upshifting 4/5 or 5/6. 

While driving at freeway speeds (65 70mph) when I slightly let off the accelerator the rpm's rise about 200 then settle down. If I should slightly press down the same thing happens. However,  when driving at a steady freeway speed, and holding steady on the throttle, on level ground I can feel this unlock/lock along with seeing the engine speed move up then settle down. If I engage cruise control on level ground it is worse and occurs more often. But, with cruise control on and there is a slight road incline there is no unlock or downshift. When I press hard on the throttle then it downshifts and accelerates fine.

Locking/unlocking and lurching; I do not recall the transmission behaving like this in the early years. The dealer says if it doesn't throw a code then it is operating normally. I can see that there are times when it should unlock such as when under load, but should it be this happening this frequently and be so noticeable? Or maybe I am being too sensitive?

Anybody experience the same thing? Is this normal transmission behavior?
    • By Apache32Bravo
      Bought this vehicle brand new. I love it, and perfect for myself, my family, and the fact it's Diesel puts the cherry on top for me. But... now things have started. We have currently 1,137 miles on the vehicle and had the first message populated:

- Service steering column lock. (see photo)

Everything else worked, remote start, standard start, and the vehicle had zero issues. The following day from our road trip, we had to go to the DMV with our out-of-state paperwork to submit for plates. My wife now received a new message. 

- Service emissions system. See owners manual. (see photo)

She drove to the DMV and left to get the smog paperwork. Then a new issue: 

- Vehicle remote start isn't working. (see photo)

She is in the car and tries to start... Nothing. She tries again. It starts, and she drives it to a local dealer. They come to look and scheduled us for an appointment. She drives the vehicle now, and Onstar now shows the emission issue. ( see photo ) We now can't register the vehicle in California, because, the check engine light is on, emissions warning, and they won't smog it until it's corrected. 

Awesome... 

I noticed that none of these issues happened until it updated the software in the vehicle. I'm hoping this is something that can be fixed. I've been looking around for answers and only finding more issues that are all pretty shitty. Sorry, no better way to say it. I've also seen a post of people saying, “deal with it, it's a new breed of vehicles,” etc. I’d challenge that answer. No one should pay this much for a vehicle and face these issues I'm reading about. 

So here's what I'm going to do, document everything, and I mean everything. This will be for everyone who may have this issue now or who may come across it. 

My opinion...but I'm not a mechanic, is that there is a massive software and hardware issue with these models. I believe GM internally has to know about this from Dealers, Customer Service, Compliance Reports, etc. I'm sure all issues are in the queue to be address or fixed. I do, however, feel with the challenges of physical hardware that they chose a vendor that was most cost-effective, which is a component of these issues a long with the capability to support the software complexity of the current models. 

Or maybe I'm just wearing a tin hat, who knows. 

So, I open this up to you. Any advice, similar issues, outcomes you've faced, and other topics, please comment below. 

May the journey of dealership visits begin. Hopefully, this journey isn't to long. 

• By Outdoors_Guy_88
      I have a 2015 Sierra "Work truck" with manual tailgate key lock (no remote electronic opening or camera; plain latch).  The lock has worked great up until now.  (Normally, turning the key 1/4 turn to the left unlocks the tailgate by engaging the latch handle.)

Now, I can turn the key just short of the unlock position (turns freely, like usual, not gritty or rusty or sticky), but then the lock binds.  Feels like something internally fell into the mechanism is preventing the lock cylinder from turning the last little bit.  Therefore, my latch handle will not engage to open the tailgate.

Is this a known/common problem?  Fixes?

• By 1guy2trucks
      My 2015 Silverado 1500 4x4 crew cab has about 110000 miles on it. It just started having an issue that I cannot seem to fix. The engine stays running when I turn the key to the off position and remove it. The accessories turn off normally and the RAP seems to be working. Meaning the radio and things turn off when I open the door....this truck is all stuck with the exception of a light bar. I’ve already pulled the light bar fuse at the battery hookup to see if that had anything to do with it and it made no change. Any ideas? Thanks
      64187634141__38D880EE-87ED-4441-B214-B90E348CB1F8.MOV