3.0L Duramax Diesel Specs Leaked From Canadian Dealer Portal

Zane

20181003_120156.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

10/3/18

Those wishing for some guidance on how the all new 3.0L Duramax Diesel will rate just had that wish come true. The Fast Lane Truck got the scoop from someone with access to General Motor's Canadian Dealer Portal. Promotional material that included specs for the new 3.0L were photographed and emailed to the website yesterday. That means someone with dealer access facilitated the leak.  

The not quite yet official figures rate the light-duty diesel engine at 282 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque. The material also claims a highway rated fuel economy of 28 mpg. That's more power then both Ford and Ram's small diesels, which produce 250hp/440 lb-ft and 240hp/420 lb-ft respectively. 

The same spec sheets also list the towing capacity of the 3.0L at 7,800 lbs, which falls below the 5.3L and 6.2L's 9,000lb+ rating. To us this signals that GM will market the 3.0L Diesel as a daily commuter for someone who occasionally tows. 

What do you think about the ratings and capability? Chime in on this thread in our 2019 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra forum.

• Like 1

It’s a step in the right direction with the higher HP. I suffered with the early diesels, the 7.3, 6.2 non turbo even the 5.9 165HP Cummings. The early diesels I felt as though I had to modify just to keep up with the gas, even though especially the 5.9 was good for pulling. The fuel mileage was great compared to the big blocks back then late 80s into the 90s. It will be interesting to compare the mileage and cost per mile, performance with the turbo 4 if the eye is towards fuel mileage or pulling compared to the 6.2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple adds.  Peak torque kicks in at 1250RPM.  Also, GM cock blocked the towing rating by not offering an NHT version with 3.42 gearing.  3.23 only.  Or...perhaps there is a diesel NHT coming?  I doubt it but one can dream.   

• Like 1

Looking back at the 2014 Gm news room press releases the 4.3 V6 had a max tow rated at 7,200 lbs. 2015 list it as 7,600 lbs.

So...7,800 lbs. is kind of meh, Right? Okay it took 4WD and a 3.42 gear to get 7600 from a 4.3 but only 200 more for the 3.23 and an oil burner with about 30% plus more torque? Maybe it's fuel?  

22 mpg gas (4wd) vs 28 mpg oil burner (2wd) highway. About 20% better. Not quite half that given back in price. :sigh:  Sort of a wash isn't it? I mean all in all? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Looking back at the 2014 Gm news room press releases the 4.3 V6 had a max tow rated at 7,200 lbs. 2015 list it as 7,600 lbs.

So...7,800 lbs. is kind of meh, Right? Okay it took 4WD and a 3.42 gear to get 7600 from a 4.3 but only 200 more for the 3.23 and an oil burner with about 30% plus more torque? Maybe it's fuel?  

22 mpg gas (4wd) vs 28 mpg oil burner (2wd) highway. About 20% better. Not quite half that given back in price. :sigh:  Sort of a wash isn't it? I mean all in all? 

Where are you getting the 28mpg? It clearly states 30 mpg for the diesel. 

Also this was GM’s marketing ploy all along. Force customers to pay the extra Cash for a Diesel to gain extra MPG. Hence what the whole big marketing was with the Lost Weight, because I guarantee you had the weight not changed by how much it has, the MPG figures would be lower along with the Towing Ratings. 

If its such such a big deal breaker about the towing figures, go ahead and buy a 2500-3500.

The average 1500 truck buyer does not tow on the regular and even if they tow, they do not even bother getting near that limit. 

Keep in mind in’s this is the first engine of its type going into GM 1500’s, give it some time. Also, perhaps this leak is all just a facade, maybe the figures will rise closer to the release. 

14 hours ago, PhantomSierra16 said:

Where are you getting the 28mpg? It clearly states 30 mpg for the diesel. 

Also this was GM’s marketing ploy all along. Force customers to pay the extra Cash for a Diesel to gain extra MPG. Hence what the whole big marketing was with the Lost Weight, because I guarantee you had the weight not changed by how much it has, the MPG figures would be lower along with the Towing Ratings. 

If its such such a big deal breaker about the towing figures, go ahead and buy a 2500-3500.

The average 1500 truck buyer does not tow on the regular and even if they tow, they do not even bother getting near that limit. 

Keep in mind in’s this is the first engine of its type going into GM 1500’s, give it some time. Also, perhaps this leak is all just a facade, maybe the figures will rise closer to the release. 

From Zane's post????  Look below. :seeya:

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 11:44 AM, Zane said:

20181003_120156.jpg

Zane Merva

Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com

10/3/18

Those wishing for some guidance on how the all new 3.0L Duramax Diesel will rate just had that wish come true. The Fast Lane Truck got the scoop from someone with access to General Motor's Canadian Dealer Portal. Promotional material that included specs for the new 3.0L were photographed and emailed to the website yesterday. That means someone with dealer access facilitated the leak.  

The not quite yet official figures rate the light-duty diesel engine at 282 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque. The material also claims a highway rated fuel economy of 28 mpg. That's more power then both Ford and Ram's small diesels, which produce 250hp/440 lb-ft and 240hp/420 lb-ft respectively. 

The same spec sheets also list the towing capacity of the 3.0L at 7,800 lbs, which falls below the 5.3L and 6.2L's 9,000lb+ rating. To us this signals that GM will market the 3.0L Diesel as a daily commuter for someone who occasionally tows. 

What do you think about the ratings and capability? Chime in on this thread in our 2019 Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra forum.

To me the GM 1500 diesel is all about economy and not so much about capability.  I guess GM looks at it like this, if you really want to tow then go 6.2 or just upgrade to a 2500.

Look at the numbers as in how many trucks are sold to individuals that use them as a daily driver and never as a truck.  More out there than those that work their truck.  As for savings since the cost is more for the diesel, not to mention there is an additional cost for the 6.2 but I never hear anyone complain about that, there isn't any difference really.  Around here diesel is $2.98 a gallon, premium is $3.24. The 6.2 is recommended to run premium, so it gets 23mpg and the fuel cost more.

As for maintenance on a diesel.  Not much different anymore. At least from my perspective.  My Cruze diesel doesn't cost any more than my 02 Silverado in maintenance.  The fact that I have only filled my DEF tank three times in 68k miles is not an issue for added cost.  I would expect this smaller diesel to be the same kind of.

I'm still pissed that there are no tow mirrors on them even when you order the Max Trailering Package .  What is the point?  I need the mirrors to see around my trailer.  Not going to put aftermarket add on mirrors on a $50k+ vehicle.  GM dropped the ball on this one.

Edited by Black02Silverado

23 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

To me the GM 1500 diesel is all about economy and not so much about capability.  I guess GM looks at it like this, if you really want to tow then go 6.2 or just upgrade to a 2500.

Look at the numbers as in how many trucks are sold to individuals that use them as a daily driver and never as a truck.  More out there than those that work their truck.  As for savings since the cost is more for the diesel, not to mention there is an additional cost for the 6.2 but I never hear anyone complain about that, there isn't any difference really.  Around here diesel is $2.98 a gallon, premium is $3.24. The 6.2 is recommended to run premium, so it gets 23mpg and the fuel cost more.

As for maintenance on a diesel.  Not much different anymore. At least from my perspective.  My Cruze diesel doesn't cost any more than my 02 Silverado in maintenance.  The fact that I have only filled my DEF tank three times in 68k miles is not an issue for added cost.  I would expect this smaller diesel to be the same kind of.

I'm still pissed that there are no tow mirrors on them even when you order the Max Trailering Package .  What is the point?  I need the mirrors to see around my trailer.  Not going to put aftermarket add on mirrors on a $50k+ vehicle.  GM dropped the ball on this one.

Give it a couple months there will be tow mirrors.. GM is waiting to show the new mirror design on the 2500's first.

15 minutes ago, silveradonationfan15 said:

Give it a couple months there will be tow mirrors.. GM is waiting to show the new mirror design on the 2500's first.

That is just it.  I want to buy now, not in a couple months.  I'm sure there are others as well.  Why play this wait and see game?  Doesn't make good marketing sense.

I've liked this new Silverado ever since it came out last year.  Been waiting to get one.  My 2002 is a great truck but it is time to upgrade.  I've waited and I guess what is a couple more months since I have already waited over a year now.  Just disappointing is all.

Edited by Black02Silverado