Grumpy Bear

Tough Towing?

Professional drivers towing serious loads and not a complaint once about not being able to pull 100,000 lbs. up an 8 percent grade without a loss of posted Interstate speed. They see 25 mph up that hill as normal as well it is.

When I hear guys moan that their half ton truck needs more power so they can maintain 70 mph up that same grade with there 10,000 rig....I chuckle. Especially when I hear words like 'productivity' attached like OTR's have something your missing out on. 

I loved the one about the guy pouring coffee and settling in for the 30 minute drive at walking speed to the summit and glad he could go that fast. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The link doesn't work for me but I agree with your point.  The concerns over trucks pulling travel trailers with 6-10spd automatic transmissions gearing down and revving higher while climbing a hill are often amusing. 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:52 AM, Donstar said:

The link doesn't work for me but I agree with your point. 

Try a cut and paste in your browser? 

13 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Try a cut and paste in your browser? 

Yes, I did find the article and the link also works for me now!  

• Like 1

I took I-80 between Laramie and Cheyenne multiple times a week during the spring of 2016 for clinicals. Definitely one that will test the equipment. It is laughable for one to think maintaining the speed limit is possible. An empty vehicle often needs to downshift a couple gears to maintain speed. Doing so with a load is nuts!

On 10/4/2018 at 9:15 PM, Grumpy Bear said:

When I hear guys moan that their half ton truck needs more power so they can maintain 70 mph up that same grade with there 10,000 rig....I chuckle. Especially when I hear words like 'productivity' attached like OTR's have something your missing out on. 

Yeah, kind of silly isn't it. Don't realize climbing stairs takes longer and more energy than walking across the room.

Take an elevator for one flight.

Thanks for the link and the story. I will be towing a TT across country soon and will be more cautious with this in mind.

Sent from device. Excuse errors.

• Like 2

I hate driving that 11% grade east of Radium in my wife's underpowered Corolla with its 4 speed automatic. I can only imagine I'll hate it more when I tackle it with a travel trailer. 

• Haha 1