Critique of frame pictures in used 2016 2500HD

Hello,

Rather than create another "frame rust" thread, I wondered if you guys could take a look at some pictures of a used 2016 2500HD we're looking at.  I've been looking at a couple and have it down to a 2016 High Country with 8900 miles and a 2016 LTZ with 14K miles.  The High Country is spotless - looks like its never been off pavement.  The wax coating doesn't have a blemish.  Its quite a bit more than the other one, so when I went to check out the LTZ, I think I was expecting different given the relatively low miles.  Attached are some frame pictures - i was wondering if you guys think this is a normal amount of rust on the frame and undercarriage.  

I'm half thinking this is normal for a couple Ohio winters, while on the other hand, the High Country is effn pristine so not sure which is extreme and which is normal.  Any insight is appreciated.

20181004_193500.jpeg

20181004_193504.jpeg

20181004_193510.jpeg

20181004_193541.jpeg

20181004_193552.jpeg

Normal for a winter state and a truck that has seen winters.  Looks like that one has a hitch installed too.  

Sounds like that High Country was either rinsed off religiously or never saw winter roads. 

Edited by newdude

19 minutes ago, newdude said:

Normal for a winter state and a truck that has seen winters.  Looks like that one has a hitch installed too.  

Sounds like that High Country was either rinsed off religiously or never saw winter roads. 

Thanks for the input - i was kinda hoping that was the case.  Yes, the LTZ has a goose on it and the HC does not, so I'd have to put that in.  According to the HC owner, it was both rinsed religiously and never driven in rain/snow somehow.  Its crazy clean - like new.

So would you do a touch up on the frame with any of the available options for that with this level of surface imperfections on the frame and other underbody stuff?

59 minutes ago, dhawken said:

Thanks for the input - i was kinda hoping that was the case.  Yes, the LTZ has a goose on it and the HC does not, so I'd have to put that in.  According to the HC owner, it was both rinsed religiously and never driven in rain/snow somehow.  Its crazy clean - like new.

So would you do a touch up on the frame with any of the available options for that with this level of surface imperfections on the frame and other underbody stuff?

You could hand wire brush the rust, then get some Daubert NoxRust 121B and spray that on the areas cleaned. 

Looks normal to me. 

I wouldn't touch it up either, but I'm also in a freeze/thaw/salt area, and additionally spent 20+ years living on a gravel road.

I'm not used to seeing pristine frames on vehicles that are in use. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

Looks normal to me. 

I wouldn't touch it up either, but I'm also in a freeze/thaw/salt area, and additionally spent 20+ years living on a gravel road.

I'm not used to seeing pristine frames on vehicles that are in use. 

I'm totally in a freeze/thaw/salt area as well, and gravel roads in the immediate vicinity so basically same boat as you.  I'm in lower peninsula MI, so theoretically shouldn't be too much different from SW Ontario.  I really appreciate your guy's input!  

• Like 1

I dont think its normal at all!

I have same truck and its been through all snow storms since the day i got it as I plow with it.  My undercarriage looks fine.  The wax coating still there.  To me it looks like this guy power washed the coating off and thus the rusting.  These trucks are built to take this.  There si something going on there I would avoid this truck if i were you.

I'll take a peek at mine when I get home. I love gm product. But some of their decisions are in bad taste...

Frame wax......I don't get it. 

Rancho shocks.......mine are all rusted. 

Looks like the truck has been thru hell. 

My 2016 has been thru 2 NY winters and looked similar but not as bad. I clean and touched up the front end which mainly was the upper and lower control arms when I replace the shocks. Next will be the rear which worst part is the axle and leaf springs. Frame looking ok except for the threaded holes. Calipers look like crap too. I use POR-15 paint with a brush. Pretty durable stuff.

Thanks for all the insights, guys.  I think I'm going to look into some of the touch up stuff.  Unable to get the pristine one down to my price range, so probably going with the one from the pics.  Hope its the right move!

• 4 weeks later...

Totally normal, one winter With my 2017 HD and it looks like that. I kept mine touched up with undercoating until I had it professionally undercoated and inner panels sprayed with cavity wax. The wax frames don’t hold up any better than the powder coated did. 

On 10/14/2018 at 9:39 AM, GMC4Zee said:

My 2016 has been thru 2 NY winters and looked similar but not as bad. I clean and touched up the front end which mainly was the upper and lower control arms when I replace the shocks. Next will be the rear which worst part is the axle and leaf springs. Frame looking ok except for the threaded holes. Calipers look like crap too. I use POR-15 paint with a brush. Pretty durable stuff.

yup. Ive been doing the same with mine as well. surface rust in all of the same areas you mentioned too.