oil life reset

Michael5D

Question

I recently changed the oil in my 05 Sierra but forgot to reset the oil life until I had driven it. I have, numerous times tried to reset by per the manual and everything I have goggled. "turn the key on, press the accelerator three times, turn the key off. I have pressed the pedal fast with no reset, I have pressed it slow and before I can press the third time the message changes to odometer reading. 

Right after I had changed the oil, I had to pull the battery  on the drivers side to fix the windshield washer hose connection. Would this have contributed to the oil reset problem?

Thanks in advance to all helpful replies.

7 answers to this question

3 times fully to the floor. Disconnecting battery should not cause this issue, but you can always disconnect again, let it rest a few minutes then re-connect. Then try reset again.

Edited by txab
sp

.....3 times within 5 seconds. One of a few smart things GM has ever done is keeping the oil life monitor resets simple. Everything from my '98 Monte Carlo to my '14 SS has been able to be reset via this method, despite newer models being able to be done through the DIC as well.

From the owners manual.

How to Reset the Engine Oil

To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off.

2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal

three times within five seconds.

If the OIL LIFE RESET message flashes for

10 seconds, the system is resetting.

3. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL message comes back on

when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system

has not reset. Repeat the procedure. If it still does

not reset, see your dealer for service.

Solved. ------

So, as I stated in my original post, having followed the manual numerous times with no success. Monday, I disconnected the drivers side battery, got back in and did the steps as described in the manual. Reconnected the battery, started it up and lo and behold, no change engine oil message and oil life reset to 100%.

If this hadn't worked my next question would have been " What would the dealer have done?"

Thanks for the replies.

Michael

2 batteries are OEM, The truck is 2500 Sierra 6.6 duramax so it needs two batteries. I didn't mention it before as that should have no consideration for oil life management. I have no idea why the single disconnect worked. I have changed the oil before in this truck and followed the manual and it reset properly.