6.0 oil change interval

Just turned 15,000 miles on my 2500 HD 6.0. Been changing my oil every 3000 miles since new,. I always use a full synthetic such as ACDelco full synthetic, or house Brands like O'Reilly, Napa, Carquest, or Federated. My filter of choice has been an oem pf48. I often notice my oil life is only around 50% at 3,000 miles. My question is, are my old school ways throwing money away? Should I trust the oil life and go down to 15%? Or start changing every 5000 miles.? What are you guys doing with your 6.0s. I do some light snow plowing in the winter, only one or two driveways,, other than that the truck doesn't really get worked hard

3K is kind of early these days with the way engine oils have been improved.  I say with those oils and filter you can go to 5k every change and feel great about it.  This interval is good for those that like to keep it simple and easy to remember.  Not to mention at the same time you can rotate your tires and at every third one change  out your air filter and wiper blades.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

:sigh:  

I just let the truck remind me, and do it when the DIC says....  Usually about 7,000 mile on my truck.

That's what I do as well.

And have done so since they began installing OLM's in gm pickups. 

I have found that when I use a truck differently it will change the mileage at which the check is recommended. 

I like to change at my convenience, so if I'm planning a trip, or before a busy period, I will change earlier to avoid having to do so when it is inconvenient.  

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 3:48 PM, 07Serria said:

Just turned 15,000 miles on my 2500 HD 6.0. Been changing my oil every 3000 miles since new,. I always use a full synthetic such as ACDelco full synthetic, or house Brands like O'Reilly, Napa, Carquest, or Federated. My filter of choice has been an oem pf48. I often notice my oil life is only around 50% at 3,000 miles. My question is, are my old school ways throwing money away? Should I trust the oil life and go down to 15%? Or start changing every 5000 miles.? What are you guys doing with your 6.0s. I do some light snow plowing in the winter, only one or two driveways,, other than that the truck doesn't really get worked hard

It's also important to know that the truck does NOT sample the oil.  It's recommendation is base on how it is being used.  Heat cycles, power levels, idling,rpm levels, etc etc.

The OLM assumes the oil in use is what GM recommends.  If you have a better oil (that is suitable for extendedoil change interval) it will still tell you to change before the oil as if it was the stock spec.  If you use crap oil (or the wrong oil) it will also  still give the same recommendation as with an oil meeting the Gm spec.

If you reset the OLM and don't change it, it will give the same recommendation as if you did change it. 

If you don't trust the OLM (or just want another opinion) at change time send a sample to Blackstone (or another lab) and get their analysis.

Reports that I have read from those that use oil sampling have always led to the conclusion that the OLM is recommending on the safe side. 

Do what ever makes you comfortable, but there is no reason to change at only 50% -- unless the truck is driven very little and it's been 12 months since the last change.  

• Like 2

I run full synth and a good filter and change mine at 4-5K......and I am known for being overly attentive to stuff like this. Modern vehicle and oil are good for around 10K between changes....not that I would feel comfortable doing that though. 

Have blackstone labs do an analysis for you. My guess is you and I are both changing our oil before we need to (and thats how I like it). 

I work in the industry and the only motors I ever see that have internal problems are ones that never got the oil changed and become sludged up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTBensley said:

I run full synth and a good filter and change mine at 4-5K......and I am known for being overly attentive to stuff like this. Modern vehicle and oil are good for around 10K between changes....not that I would feel comfortable doing that though. 

Have blackstone labs do an analysis for you. My guess is you and I are both changing our oil before we need to (and thats how I like it). 

I work in the industry and the only motors I ever see that have internal problems are ones that never got the oil changed and become sludged up. 

After 15000 miles I am wasting my oil by changing it according to analysis.. so at 4 to 5000 unless you are using someone's already used engine oil you should be okay lol.  

• Like 1

Back when people had to pump the carb and sticky chokes caused the cylinder walls to be "washed" yes it was needed to have the oil changed BY 3000 miles. Todays ring packages, piston coatings, and fuel injection are light years ahead of the carb oil change interval that everyone still uses. Even with conventional oil you could bump up to 5000 miles - that makes its it easy to check on the odometer. Obviously with synthetic you can stretch it out even further, what ever you feel comfortable going. You can always have an oil scan done to know for sure how your oil is doing.

As a former diesel tech I seen oil changes go from 100 hours on tier 1, to 500 hours on tier 4.

You can also tell the guys who dont change their oil when they should or ever. Those engines never make it to the expected overhaul interval, and when they are torn down I see wear on things that should never be worn. Mind you the equivalent oil change would be something like 20k on conventional oil for our modern gas engines.

On my personal vehicles I just let the oil life monitor tell me when to change. Unless you have very short trips where the engine never reaches operating temp, then I would cut that in half.

Take this info for what its worth and what you paid for it, as after all this is just my opinion..