fog and headlight leds

3 hours ago, dodge stomper said:

Morning,

So glad I found this thread,  Just bought a 2015 3500HD 8k miles and the stock lights are terrible.  I traded my 2016 1500LTZ and the lights spoiled me in that one.  I would like to find a kit for all three highs, lows and fogs and to be honest I'd probably pay someone to install as I am not into it. I notice a few different manufacturers, What is the general consensus?  I know it's a matter of opinion but all in all?  Also the cut off is important as I hate people freaking out when you roll in behind them.

Thanks,

Dodge Stomper

20181123_085155.jpg

First off, nice looking truck!  I was in a similar position as you, I had a 2017 Denali 1500 with factory LED’s and thought they were awesome.  When I got my 2017 HC HD I was very disappointed in the lights after having the factory LED’s.  I installed Morimoto LED fogs as well as LED high and low beams.  They work great and are a huge upgrade from the factory halogens, every bit as good as the factory LED’S.  No issues blinding oncoming traffic as the factory housings are projectors.   I purchased my lights at the retrofit source.

5 hours ago, CRApex said:

First off, nice looking truck!  I was in a similar position as you, I had a 2017 Denali 1500 with factory LED’s and thought they were awesome.  When I got my 2017 HC HD I was very disappointed in the lights after having the factory LED’s.  I installed Morimoto LED fogs as well as LED high and low beams.  They work great and are a huge upgrade from the factory halogens, every bit as good as the factory LED’S.  No issues blinding oncoming traffic as the factory housings are projectors.   I purchased my lights at the retrofit source.

Thanks for the reply,

Retro-fit source?   I'm a newbie at the whole led/halogen light buzz.  (ROFLMAO)  Does the 2015 even have halogens? Are all HS's the same of that year? I know they look round so do they upgrade all together?  Did you do your own or take it to a lighting shop?  The 16's/17's were LED's?   As we said geez those lights were awesome, I remember being like a kid when I first saw them come on.  And they spoiled me, 

What watt/brightness did you order?   Even though I will pay for installation that'll show me the installers parts prices.  If I could get the same look as my 2016 1500LTZ I would be ever so thankful for any help.

I am kind of Tech savvy but all this talk of resistor's/ballasts scare me as I want a quality out come.  What was the price of your total switch over?

Sorry to babble and play a thousand questions.

Edited by dodge stomper

17 hours ago, dodge stomper said:

Thanks for the reply,

Retro-fit source?   I'm a newbie at the whole led/halogen light buzz.  (ROFLMAO)  Does the 2015 even have halogens? Are all HS's the same of that year? I know they look round so do they upgrade all together?  Did you do your own or take it to a lighting shop?  The 16's/17's were LED's?   As we said geez those lights were awesome, I remember being like a kid when I first saw them come on.  And they spoiled me, 

What watt/brightness did you order?   Even though I will pay for installation that'll show me the installers parts prices.  If I could get the same look as my 2016 1500LTZ I would be ever so thankful for any help.

I am kind of Tech savvy but all this talk of resistor's/ballasts scare me as I want a quality out come.  What was the price of your total switch over?

Sorry to babble and play a thousand questions.

Yes..the 2015 has halogens with low beam projectors.  Theretrofitsource.com is where I purchased my LED’s.  High beams, low beams and their custom LED fogs.  (If you put LED’ s in the stock foglamp housings, you’ll blind oncoming traffic.)  They make a lamp assembly that directs the light down to the road where it should be.  I have H11 2-stroke 2,0’s in the low beams and the 9005 2-stroke 2.0 for the high’s.  Like I said you’ll need the custom LED driving lamps as well if you want them to match.

They do a good job of helping you purchase everything you need..  I installed them myself, not too bad, all plug and play with the correct harnesses they provide.

Total cost was around $450.00.  The light output is very similar if not identical to the stock LED’s you had in your 1500.

This is just one option, you could also do HID’s which are probably a bit brighter but do degrade over time.

15 minutes ago, CRApex said:

Yes..the 2015 has halogens with low beam projectors.  Theretrofitsource.com is where I purchased my LED’s.  High beams, low beams and their custom LED fogs.  (If you put LED’ s in the stock foglamp housings, you’ll blind oncoming traffic.)  They make a lamp assembly that directs the light down to the road where it should be.  I have H11 2-stroke 2,0’s in the low beams and the 9005 2-stroke 2.0 for the high’s.  Like I said you’ll need the custom LED driving lamps as well if you want them to match.

They do a good job of helping you purchase everything you need..  I installed them myself, not too bad, all plug and play with the correct harnesses they provide.

Total cost was around $450.00.  The light output is very similar if not identical to the stock LED’s you had in your 1500.

This is just one option, you could also do HID’s which are probably a bit brighter but do degrade over time.

Any Problem with the dusk cover going back on ????

Dust cover won’t go back on unless its modified.  They include a rubber extension boot that doesn’t work to well.  I supplemented the boot by covering with Black duct tape and that has worked just fine.  No issues in the year since I’ve had them and its out of sight completely under the front plastic cover.

I use Xenon bulbs H11 for lows and 9005 for high beams. I bought mine on Ebay, XD5 was the brand but no longer available. They are like the Silverstar ZXE. Only cheaper.

If i can get HID to work with my system I will buy some.

Question for you guys. I have a 2018 denali hd. I'm assuming it comes with HID headlights because they bounce and flicker when I hit bumps in the road and it is really annoying. Is there an LED kit I can buy to replace my HID's and fogs?

On 11/25/2018 at 10:02 AM, CRApex said:

Thanks for all your help.

Honestly....   Since the cold chill has set in I think I'll wait till spring to do this swap.  And yes the Fog's need to be directed I agree 100%  Still undecided about self install as my time is so limited.  I operate a Bridge Crain and usually my hours are Super Crazy!!   

If you learn or hear anything you would have done different please keep me in mind.

God Bless

DS

14 hours ago, cdh027 said:

Question for you guys. I have a 2018 denali hd. I'm assuming it comes with HID headlights because they bounce and flicker when I hit bumps in the road and it is really annoying. Is there an LED kit I can buy to replace my HID's and fogs?

The HID's are the brighteset you can get. There are LED's but NOT as bright as the HID's.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here's what is installed on my 2019 2500HD Duramax :

- Low beam: stock projector replaced w/ Morimoto Mini D2S HID kit from fastheadlights.com; bulb upgraded to Phillips XV2 Extreme Vision

- High beam: Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 LED

- Factory fog location: Vision X 4.5" Light Canons w/ Yellow Elliptical covers

- Bumper filler location: Vision X Optimus Halo and Vision X Solstice Solo (halo only is wired as DRL using harness from Gen5DIY); shim blocks made of marine starboard

- Center oil cooler opening: Rigid SR Series Pro 6"

No night time pics yet. I'm interested to see how the bulb temps compare. I assembled the headlight upgrades but rest of install was done by a professional.

Front2.jpg

Front1.jpg

Edited by joeb11
add detail

On 11/24/2018 at 4:18 AM, dodge stomper said:

Morning,

So glad I found this thread,  Just bought a 2015 3500HD 8k miles and the stock lights are terrible.  I traded my 2016 1500LTZ and the lights spoiled me in that one.  I would like to find a kit for all three highs, lows and fogs and to be honest I'd probably pay someone to install as I am not into it. I notice a few different manufacturers, What is the general consensus?  I know it's a matter of opinion but all in all?  Also the cut off is important as I hate people freaking out when you roll in behind them.

Thanks,

Dodge Stomper

20181123_085155.jpg

Yes. This. I'm thinking hard about getting into a 2500 Duramax, and I know it's stupid, but the lighting situation bothers me. On my 1500 LTZ, the only non-LED I've found inside or out is in the 3rd brake light (also frustrating). Unless I'm wrong, I haven't seen the HD trucks with nearly that many stock LED on them, even in High Country/Denali... just surprises me that they made such a change for the '16 1500 but didn't do it for the big brother.