2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT questions

New member just looking for any insight on a GMC Sierra 1500. I am looking to get into a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT. Getting rid of my 2013 Ford F-150 for this truck. Anything I should look out for a check as I am test driving? Thanks in advance!

New or used,4wd or 2wd, what are you using it for?

I would say stay away from the 8speeds. And my option is 5.3>6.2. Only because you pay more and they add radio noise, sound deaden er or worst and "if" you tune/mod it a 5.3 makes more power per dollar. 

Also test drive it, the famous shake. 65-75mph. 

I run any car/truck vin and see history or if new recalls or issues reported. 

• Like 1

It is a 4wd, 5.3L Crew Cab. It has 9350 miles. Does this have the 6 speed or 8 speed tranny? It has a clear Carfax report. And I get lifetime oil changes and state inspections with it. It also has the All Terrain package. I test drive one today but was unable to open it up as the salesman was with me!!! 

Should be the 6speed I believe. Sounds good but need the ass test. Also be careful I just remembered they are recalling the 15 now for issue in steering. I would tune and at least light mod to help with the tow. Is it E85? can pick up 34-50rwhp.  

13 hours ago, CaptDuck said:

I just read it is an 8 speed tranny. Not sure on the E85. I am hopefully going to be test driving it tomorrow.

EC2F9F1D-A88B-4536-8ECC-17E799934A7F.jpeg

Nice truck....if your pulling get the 8speed I have one and almost 70K on it!

• Like 1

Well I went and test drive it. That thing was nice and smooth. Hope it stays that way!!! From what I read it is the 8 speed tranny. Took it out on the highway and no shaking or shuttering when I was doing about 70-75 mph. Only thing I don’t like is the OnStar navigation. Rather have stand alone navigation in unit. Trying to work out a deal with my trade in and price

Nice looking truck CD.  

The 2017 should be equipped with Apple CarPlay/Android Auto so no issues mirroring your phone to the trucks screen.  This is not available on my 2015 All Terrain and I wouldn't mind having it.  The OE Navi doesn't work well for me.  Input destinations and typically calculates a 5 hour trip as a 8 hours and has chosen screwy routes.  Now I only rely on Google maps or Waze for navigation.

My advice is utilize NADA, KBB, and Edmunds to get an idea what your truck is worth as well as the one you want to buy.  Be honest with your assessment of your trucks condition and look at the other truck during broad daylight out in the sun.  This is to confirm no paint/bodywork was done and look for scratches, dings, chips, worn tires etc.... Remember any negative points and their asking price automatically goes out the window.  Settle on a price you feel is fair and don't hesitate to walk if things are not to your liking.  Don't become fixated on a monthly payment amount while ignoring pricing, trade value, interest rate, term, etc...

Good luck.

Oops just noticed other post about damage.  Find another truck instead.

Edited by Lgetz
Updated Post because of damage
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, CaptDuck said:

Well I went and test drive it. That thing was nice and smooth. Hope it stays that way!!! From what I read it is the 8 speed tranny. Took it out on the highway and no shaking or shuttering when I was doing about 70-75 mph. Only thing I don’t like is the OnStar navigation. Rather have stand alone navigation in unit. Trying to work out a deal with my trade in and price

Well if it has CarPlay/Android Auto.. You'll have a WIDE array of navigation tools available. I have a 2017 Silverado LT+ with built in NAV, but I never use it.

Instead, I use navigation tools that are available to me from my iPhone, displayed on the truck 8" screen via CarPlay. They include Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze. All 3 are better than the GM navigation IMO.

24 minutes ago, Ironman24 said:

Nice looking truck but not a Clean Carfax. Looks like it has damage reported twice on the carfax that is listed on the dealers page.

Look it over good before you buy it.

Where are you getting specifics on the truck and Carfax? The OP's 2nd post says the carfax is clean? 

14 minutes ago, Loco-diablo said:

Where are you getting specifics on the truck and Carfax? The OP's 2nd post says the carfax is clean? 

I did a google search of the picture that the OP posted. It brings up the Ford dealer that the truck is at. Then I clicked on the car fax logo and it brought me to the car fax.  It clearly says Damage reported. 

https://www.priorityford.com/used-Norfolk-2017-GMC-Sierra+1500-SLT-3GTU2NEC0HG305484

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner = FRD_2&vin=3GTU2NEC0HG305484

Granted the damage could be nothing. I had a friend that backed into a tree in her driveway and had a dent pulled and that showed up as an accident on the carfax for her vehicle. Dealer gave her crap about it on a trade in. This truck could be fine. It just needs to be looked over very good first.

Yeah I see that now. The dealer did show me the Carfax and I saw that. Said the original owner said it was from a storm that had branches fall on the front qtr panel. We looked but couldn’t see anything that looked like damage repair