Electrical, ground issue in dash 03 Silverado ex-cab 1500 LT 5.3 speaker static and instrument cluster issue. really need help.

2003 sliverado 1500 4wd 5.3

Hi,

I'm hoping to find help on this.. I'm baffled.

Problem I believe started when I started hearing a static noise in the rear passenger speaker.

then I noticed the gauges would just zero out on occasion. a couple weeks ago, the gauges stayed out for a week or so.

I read as much as I could about the issue.

The cluster stepper motors seem to check out fine.

I took the cluster out and all the pins have conductivity.

I did notice the as I was working, the wire harness behind the cluster to the left when wiggled would recreate the static sound in the speaker and the clust would come and go also the trouble-lights in dash started going. 

I checked all the fuses I could. also the is an area on interior fuse panel I probed a group f wires (see Pic).

I could hear the crackle from the speaker when probed the Pink one I believe, not 100% sure. since then all hase been ok except for an EVAP code I cleared and seems to be staying cleared.

I really think its a ground issue and I have no idea where to look or what to look for.

I am looking for the normal braided wire for the grounds.

unfortunatly I was run off the road by what I believe a drunk driver into a tree and totaled my beautiful blue 02 Silverado. I got a hold of this one as I had to hurry and insurance company kinda lowballed me, so now I have this Black rusty 03. left side seems much more rusty than right side. frame is rusty. left but not right. this still makes me sick I lost my blue truck. this one is going to be sold asap and getting a real truck again.

1)...Does anyone have any idea where to look and what to look for?

2)... Is that harness behind cluster a big pain to swap out? how long is it is it  just plug type connections?

if anyone knows when to find these or better yet pics? that would be great.

should I be concerned with my airbags blowing on me?

Thanks

interior fuse panel.jpg

Edited by Ralphw62
added info

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/11/2018 at 10:14 AM, Ralphw62 said:

2003 sliverado 1500 4wd 5.3

Hi,

I'm hoping to find help on this.. I'm baffled.

Problem I believe started when I started hearing a static noise in the rear passenger speaker.

then I noticed the gauges would just zero out on occasion. a couple weeks ago, the gauges stayed out for a week or so.

I read as much as I could about the issue.

The cluster stepper motors seem to check out fine.

I took the cluster out and all the pins have conductivity.

I did notice the as I was working, the wire harness behind the cluster to the left when wiggled would recreate the static sound in the speaker and the clust would come and go also the trouble-lights in dash started going. 

I checked all the fuses I could. also the is an area on interior fuse panel I probed a group f wires (see Pic).

I could hear the crackle from the speaker when probed the Pink one I believe, not 100% sure. since then all hase been ok except for an EVAP code I cleared and seems to be staying cleared.

I really think its a ground issue and I have no idea where to look or what to look for.

I am looking for the normal braided wire for the grounds.

unfortunatly I was run off the road by what I believe a drunk driver into a tree and totaled my beautiful blue 02 Silverado. I got a hold of this one as I had to hurry and insurance company kinda lowballed me, so now I have this Black rusty 03. left side seems much more rusty than right side. frame is rusty. left but not right. this still makes me sick I lost my blue truck. this one is going to be sold asap and getting a real truck again.

1)...Does anyone have any idea where to look and what to look for?

2)... Is that harness behind cluster a big pain to swap out? how long is it is it  just plug type connections?

if anyone knows when to find these or better yet pics? that would be great.

should I be concerned with my airbags blowing on me?

Thanks

interior fuse panel.jpg