6.2 with 3.23 vs 5.3 with 3.42 - will I be happy with the 5.3?

I've decided to purchase a Sierra SLT 4WD Crew Cab due to the $12,198 in GM incentives, $500 Costco incentive plus I'm on a state-wide (Ohio) search for the ultimate deal, so I intend to be AT LEAST 15k off of regular MSRP when all is said and done.  Will be doing a Premium Plus package truck.

The issue - nothing has the Max Trailering package on the lots.  This means I'm either doing a 6.2L with 3.23's, which aren't plentiful but can be found, or the 5.3L with 3.42's.  Both would be the 8-speed transmission.  I want an All Terrain Premium package (slightly less incentives but a little cheaper), though it is also hard to find.  I really only like the All Terrain for the lack of chrome, though I can go aftermarket to resolve the Chrome issue.

My truck use:
- Family travel
- The Home Depot/Lowes/Menards trips
- Towing our wake boat; right around 5300lbs with the lead I have in it, plus gear.  I do one long trip a year through the Kentucky and Tennessee mountains.  The rest of the towing is a joke; 2 miles to our local boat ramp from the house, with a max speed limit of 45MPH...most of which is less than that.  So really the tow need is only for one trip a year

- I plan to keep this truck 10 years and will upgrade boats during that time; the next one will be 1000-1200lbs heavier

I have a lead foot but less so in my truck than my car.  Truck will see 10k miles a year.  I get the 6.2 will need premium, but our cars and boat require it so that's a non-factor.  Current truck is a '07 Escalade EXT, so rocking the 6.2L L92/6-speed in a heavier truck.  It has 3.42's, 403HP/417TQ though it's a little long in the tooth and a bad piston slapper when cold, so probably not the prime power example.

Also, do I need to worry about piston slap on the current models?  The two I drove didn't have any and it was in the 40's when I fired them up. 

Had both, the 5.3 and the 6.2. IMHO: The 5.3 is fine just to get you where you want to go or light towing. The 6.2 in the other hand is amazing all the way around, mpg’s performance, towing, everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get the 6.2 and set aside $2300 of the money you saved via incentives and replace the gears. Make it one of the first things you do and you’ll never regret it.

I have a 5.3 with 4.56 and no engine mods. The truck hauls ass. The 5.3 can be upgraded and made to be very fast, but why spend all that money if you can just get the 6.2 with 70 more horses and a factory warranty.

• Like 1

5.3. Save money e85 it and same power for less money. Also 5.3 saves you from other add on that suck. I'm not a fan of the 8speed way to many issues. I am lowered 5/7" on 24" and I can tow 6k with ease but I have twice the power of a stock motor. 

So if your going to light mod it say tune intake exhaust and be on e85 it's a toss up but favoring 5.3. Based on your use and need. Big hauling all the time and low hauling 6.2 but again modes equal everything. 

There is replacements for displacement. It's called power adders. E85,meth,turbo,supercharger, and nitrous. 

My dad has a 5.3 (not 3.42 though) and i just got a 6.2 max tow. I am thoroughly astounded by the acceleration of this truck. Man it moves! I'm really glad i spent the extra 2k for the 6.2. My dad always complains how sluggish his 5.3 is, however it had been in and out of chevy for a snapped lifter spring, i wouldn't say it's a prime example of power. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5.3. Save money e85 it and same power for less money. Also 5.3 saves you from other add on that suck. I'm not a fan of the 8speed way to many issues. I am lowered 5/7" on 24" and I can tow 6k with ease but I have twice the power of a stock motor. 
So if your going to light mod it say tune intake exhaust and be on e85 it's a toss up but favoring 5.3. Based on your use and need. Big hauling all the time and low hauling 6.2 but again modes equal everything. 
There is replacements for displacement. It's called power adders. E85,meth,turbo,supercharger, and nitrous. 

E85 keeps you running to the pump, horrible on mpg’s and run the 5.3 down. In addition, you can do same mods with the 6.2 and give enormously more power. 6.2 is a much more superior motor all they way around.

• Like 1

Are you sure you have trans and gear options correct.  The 5.3 and 8 speed with 3.42’s is only available with max tow.  The 5.3 with 6spd is available with 3.42 and no max tow.  I’m pretty sure the 8 speeds are std with 3.23’s, the max tow gets 3.42’s no matter 5.3 or 6.2.  The 6 speeds get 3.08 or optional 3.42, and only 3.73 with max tow.  

Ive had a 5.3 with 3.42 and 6 speed and now have 6.2 with 8 speed and 3.23’s.  The 5.3 drives fine for a truck, like a truck is expected to drive, cumbersome and sluggish compared to even the wife’s old minivan.  The 6.2 truck is actually a vehicle that is fun to drive, almost sporty.  The 6.2 is like the heated steering wheel, I won’t buy another new truck with out it.  Also, the 8 speed shifts and drives a lot better than the 6 speed did.  

And a 5.3 on e85 will not touch the performance of a 6.2.  

And my 6.2 uses less gas than my 5.3 did.  

Edited by SILVER SLED
  • Like 4

lol its hard to argue against max power from the 6.2. BUT I think he is looking for max rebates which arent going to be had with any 6.2 models right now.

The 5.3 with 3.42s will and does a fine job of towing boats around. Ive towed boats, cars, skid loaders (8000lbs), mini excavator 12k. Skid loaders were no problem, the mini could be. I have to say the 5.3 has more power than the early nineties big blocks either GM or Ford.

I own a performance car, sports car, a high performance custom truck. I was happy with my 14 5.3, 342 gear, 6 speed Texas Edition GMC. Especially with a tune on E-85. E-85 was cheaper than regular gas, I got 18 mpg in town. I didn’t use it on trips, I used reg gas something you can’t do with a 6.2. I’m not a poor man by no means. It just bug the hell out of me that I would have had to get options I didn’t want to get the 6.2. Only running premium gas was the other. The money I saved I could tune and not have to worry about warranty.

• Like 1

I vote 6.2. I flew across the country to get a great deal on my hard to find crew cab standard bed max tow 6.2. (Laura Buick GMC). 

I have 6.2 max tow with 3:42 gears. With the 8 speed transmission it keeps the engine always in the power band. Stomp it at any speed and it quickly drops a few gears and you get a big smile on your face :-)

Does the 5.3 max tow have the 8 speed? If so it will have more get up and go than a 5.3 6 speed. 

Regardless the 6.2 8 speed 3:23 or 3:42 is a great combo. 

• Like 1