GM To Offer 5-year 60K Warranty or 6-Year 70K Depending Upon Brands - But At A Price

Gorehamj

GM-Extended-Limited-Warranty.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
10-15-2018

General Motors issued a press release today that claims GM is "breaking new ground" with regard to new vehicle warranties. GM is planning to offer a 5-year, 60K warranty on its GMC and Chevrolet models and a 6-year 70K warranty on its Buick and Cadillac models. These new warranties will be offered at an additional cost to the new car buyer at the time of purchase. GM's standard factory bumper-to-bumper limited warranty on Chevrolet and GMC products is 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first and for Buicks and Cadillacs, it is 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.  Ken Mac, director of Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac Protection, commented on this new extended warranty product, saying, "If you drive a Chevrolet, you know that any GM-brand dealer will take care of warranty repairs without paperwork, deductibles or exclusions. The same goes for Cadillac, GMC and Buick owners. Now, we’re offering people the opportunity to increase the duration of their bumper-to-bumper warranty far out into the future".

The thing we find weird about GM claiming that this breaks new ground is that Hyundai and Kia presently both offer a warranty as long as the GMC and Chevy extended warranty at no added cost. Volkswagen goes even farther and offers a bumper to bumper warranty of six years and 72,000 miles at no added cost. 

This one's a head-scratcher for us in the newsroom. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Gorehamj said:

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
10-15-2018

General Motors issued a press release today that claims GM is "breaking new ground" with regard to new vehicle warranties.

This one's a head-scratcher for us in the newsroom. 

I grew up loving GM vehicles before I even knew what a warranty was.  I'll admit I was biased by my father's influence, as he is a GM employee.  So, I've been pretty pro-GM all my life.  I could not understand why some people hate the brand so much.  But, the more automotive news and GM truck forums I read, the more I understand how one might form a negative view on the brand. 

Offering less than your competition is not ground breaking, General. 

• Like 4

No Surprise here. Cannot say the same for other manufacturers, but GM continues to Charge More and Offer Less.

With the price of a new vehicle today the 5yr 60 should be standard!

It will be curious to know what the cost is.

Any 2019 owners out there that can chime in?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

No Surprise here. Cannot say the same for other manufacturers, but GM continues to Charge More and Offer Less.

As Ozer mentioned,

The article I linked to above says the extended warranty will be a cost adder between $1,000 and $2,000.

Edited by rkj__

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

Somewhat true?  Please tell me what FERD'S bumber to bumper is?  5yr 60K  really?....probably not

Titan sales are poor so they toss on the warranty for free. GM sales however are very robust so they can charge you extra for it .

It’s shocking how few Titans they sell. It was big news when they announced they would offer a Cummins diesel, but it did not seem to win them many actual buyers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk