Evidence of slim-jim tampering someone trying to steal my truck

So I think someone is trying to steal my truck.  For the second time in a couple of months, I've discovered my window trim pulled up out of the channel right above the door handle.  Unfortunately, my truck won't fit inside my garage since I added the lift.  Is there any way I can prevent them from using such a tool to open my door?

Window Trim.jpg

slimjim_large.jpg

If they can't get in the door then they will break a window.  Doesnt matter if you can prevent the slimjim.

Setup a camera or ask local PD to put your residence on a watch list.

Check with neighbors, maybe someone saw something.

• Like 1

Agreed with above. Go to your local PD and have your house placed on special patrol. They will drive by throughout the night to watch. And if you catch em in the act, well make sure it doesn't happen again [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Try a camera system with motion alerts.

May wake you up with a few false alarms a couple of times until you get the sensitivity/thresholds set properly. Then you can utilize the techniques referred to above when you see the person.

• Like 2

Do you have any trees by your driveway?

Here is what I am thinking for you..... Trail Cameras It will cost you about $100 but buy 2, 1 to install on a tree watching your truck, and 1 inside your truck facing where the window was tampered with. That way if they don't break the window, you have a clear picture of their faces peeking into your truck. Once you have photos of them off the trail camera, file a police report and give the photos to them to get those SOB's!

Here is a link to a very decent inexpensive trail camera:    https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/wildgame-innovations-terra-ir-trail-camera-10mp-17wgiutrr10mprswrtch/17wgiutrr10mprswrtch

I've had trucks/tahoes where I find the door adjar the next day in my driveway.  This happened a couple times as my truck was unlocked.  I've also had the driver window smashed at the gym in pure daylight.  That was a pain to clean up.

These are drug related snatch and grab efforts.  People looking for cash or things they can pawn quickly like phones, electronic devices, etc.

As someone mentioned, I don't think the end game is to try and steal the truck (unless they tow it).

In some ways it makes sense to obviously not leave anything of value in the truck but leave it open so they don't smash windows.  Otherwise the security system along with law enforcement route would be the next step.

16 minutes ago, STRMTRPR said:

.. if you want to go the camera route try a Wyze cam.. cheap $19, small,1080p & free cloud storage and alert notifications with phone app.. I have been running a couple of these in my home automation system without issue.

https://www.wyzecam.com/product/wyze-cam-v2/

The wyze camera is a superb idea StormTrooper, however it requires WiFi to work, and sometimes Wifi does not reach past your garage?

That's why I say trail camera

22 hours ago, btj_z71 said:

If they can't get in the door then they will break a window.  Doesnt matter if you can prevent the slimjim.

Setup a camera or ask local PD to put your residence on a watch list.

Check with neighbors, maybe someone saw something.

This. When I was in college, a student that lived in the same apartment building as me had some tweeker take a knife to the soft-top on his Jeep TJ to climb inside and get the $3 in change he left on his console. They also stole his text books and threw them down the street as he walked away. The tweeker didn't know he could have sold those textbooks easy for $300. Moral of the story is don't leave anything in your vehicle if you live in a city and park outside, you never know what people will be willing to mess your property up for. 

• Like 1